5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always on 12v DC Power Outlet

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have a followup question to this thread, if you don't mind. Great information so far, so thank you.
My truck has the always live 12v outlet as discussed above, my question is if this would be battery drain protected if I happen to leave a detector plugged in?
Thank you in advance
Nope. Straight from the manual:

When the vehicle is turned off, be sure to unplug any equipment​
as to not drain the battery of the vehicle. All accessories​
connected to the outlet(s) should be removed or turned off
when the vehicle is not in use to protect the battery against discharge.​

Some devices will shut off to spare the battery, but the truck itself won't shut off the outlet if the battery gets too low.

JRankine

Reaction score
Nope. Straight from the manual:

When the vehicle is turned off, be sure to unplug any equipment​
as to not drain the battery of the vehicle. All accessories​
connected to the outlet(s) should be removed or turned off​
when the vehicle is not in use to protect the battery against discharge.​

Some devices will shut off to spare the battery, but the truck itself won't shut off the outlet if the battery gets too low.
Thank for this answer Richard320.

Last edited:

JRankine

Reaction score
Leave something powered on in a constant power circuit and it'll eventually drain the battery. That said, there are products with protection built in. For example, the Blackvue dash cam I have will power down when it senses a selectable voltage. Keeps it from killing the battery while in parking mode, which is powered from a constant power circuit.
Thank you for your answer grimreefer

Razorback0308

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just bought a 2021 Limited Longhorn and my power was always on. I actually decided to charge my phone up there but always had to remember to unplug my charger. I decided to get on Google and give it a shot and found this forum. Less than 5 minutes to make the change on the fuse. Wonderful pictures. Thanks again for the great advice!

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just bought a 2021 Limited Longhorn and my power was always on. I actually decided to charge my phone up there but always had to remember to unplug my charger. I decided to get on Google and give it a shot and found this forum. Less than 5 minutes to make the change on the fuse. Wonderful pictures. Thanks again for the great advice!

WyoViking

Reaction score
This is a great thread to help out with the power ports. As an outdoorsman, I depend on the "always on" functionality to continuously charge devices. The previous owner of my new purchase must have done this, so I'll take a look and see if I can change it back. But I appreciate the work around for those that use it differently. Nice work! -I'm new to this forum and new to Ram trucks. And it's this kind of stuff that makes me excited to join the community. Thanks.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
This is a great thread to help out with the power ports. As an outdoorsman, I depend on the "always on" functionality to continuously charge devices. The previous owner of my new purchase must have done this, so I'll take a look and see if I can change it back. But I appreciate the work around for those that use it differently. Nice work! -I'm new to this forum and new to Ram trucks. And it's this kind of stuff that makes me excited to join the community. Thanks.
If your 12v plug has a Battery symbol on it, then it came as "Always On" from the factory. If it has a key symbol on it, Then it came as "ACC ON" from the factory.
Some trucks and trim levels are different. Apparently having the plug as Always On, is more luxurious, so it belongs to the Limited trim... The lower trims(TM, BH ETC') comes as ACC ON.

WyoViking

Reaction score
If your 12v plug has a Battery symbol on it, then it came as "Always On" from the factory. If it has a key symbol on it, Then it came as "ACC ON" from the factory.
Some trucks and trim levels are different. Apparently having the plug as Always On, is more luxurious, so it belongs to the Limited trim... The lower trims(TM, BH ETC') comes as ACC ON.
It's got the key. Good call! That's the second difference I've noticed that this upgraded Laramie has from a Limited.

BlackCopper

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up a brand new 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn and had a question regarding the Always on 12v DC Power Outlet in the front top of the center stack (directly above the radio).

I checked my owner's manual and it shows this outlet having a key symbol but when checking mine it has a battery symbol indicating it keeps power to whatever is plugged into the outlet even when the vehicle is off. (Which it does. Checked it after 30 minutes of having the truck off and it was still getting power)

View attachment 69603

I know that some people prefer to have the always on outlet's however, I do not. I am running my dash cam and radar detector through this outlet and am use to previous vehicles turning the devices on when the vehicle starts and shut them off when it turns off.

Does anyone know how I can make this outlet perform this way? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ruin
From another post... Ignition switched USB ports?

Underneath the steering wheel you have a big panel. Removing two screws on the bottom of it and the whole thing pops right out.
You just need to move this fuse to this location. Your fuse will be in the right-hand position.

View attachment 69758
Call me old-school: I'll never give up my Garmin Nuvi. I've been using the 12v DC outlet atop the dash on my 2022 3L diesel, and had been unplugging it each time I left the truck--annoying, no doubt. This solution is so much better. Props.

BlackCopper

Reaction score
I think it may have more to do with the options package, than the trim level. I just got a 2022 BH 3.0L Diesel (Love it, BTW), and had to get the Level B option package, in order to get the heated seats. I know....heated seats? Really? Seriously, I never thought I'd hear myself say: "I need the heated seats!" but on a cold single-digit morning, without a garage, heated seats are really swe-e-e-t! :)

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I think it may have more to do with the options package, than the trim level. I just got a 2022 BH 3.0L Diesel (Love it, BTW), and had to get the Level B option package, in order to get the heated seats. I know....heated seats? Really? Seriously, I never thought I'd hear myself say: "I need the heated seats!" but on a cold single-digit morning, without a garage, heated seats are really swe-e-e-t! :)
Then it’s something new. No BH prior to 2022 had always-on 12v plug.
My 2019 was level 2 package as well with heated seats and steering wheel.

Jokerpro

Reaction score
Didn’t even realize my 2022 BH had an always on outlet until I read this thread. Thanks to the diagram, I was able to switch the fuse so now it turns off. My wireless charger isn’t on all the time now. Thanks everybody!!

compman72

Reaction score
This thread has been helpful!!
A 7mm socket, pop off the panel and move the fuse from left to right. Finally something simple to modify.
A constant hot is now a “keyed hot”
3CCC145B-CB41-4ACA-ABE4-70C808BB808B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread