5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always on 12v DC Power Outlet

Ruin

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up a brand new 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn and had a question regarding the Always on 12v DC Power Outlet in the front top of the center stack (directly above the radio).

I checked my owner's manual and it shows this outlet having a key symbol but when checking mine it has a battery symbol indicating it keeps power to whatever is plugged into the outlet even when the vehicle is off. (Which it does. Checked it after 30 minutes of having the truck off and it was still getting power)

1600914836842.png

I know that some people prefer to have the always on outlet's however, I do not. I am running my dash cam and radar detector through this outlet and am use to previous vehicles turning the devices on when the vehicle starts and shut them off when it turns off.

Does anyone know how I can make this outlet perform this way? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ruin

Ruin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. @MannymanX I noticed that, that post was in regards to USB ports. Does this same fuse control the 12v DC Outlet's?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. @MannymanX I noticed that, that post was in regards to USB ports. Does this same fuse control the 12v DC Outlet's?
This post is actually in regards to the 12v outlet. You cannot change the functionality of the USB ports...

The original OP tried to get constant power to his USB ports, but it's impossible.
I just gave him and the other guys this option as an alternative.

Ruin

Reaction score
This post is actually in regards to the 12v outlet. You cannot change the functionality of the USB ports...

The original OP tried to get constant power to his USB ports, but it's impossible.
I just gave him and the other guys this option as an alternative.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I don't want constant power to my 12v outlet which it currently has by default from the factory. So I'm guessing my fuse must be in the right position already and moving it to the left as seen in your screenshot fixes it. I am planning on opening that panel tomorrow to take a look and test.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I don't want constant power to my 12v outlet which it currently has by default from the factory. So I'm guessing my fuse must be in the right position already and moving it to the left as seen in your screenshot fixes it. I am planning on opening that panel tomorrow to take a look and test.
It will be as shown in the picture (left slot) if it's always on. Moving the sucker to the right will change it to ACC/ON.

MNRam1500

Reaction score
Very informative and helpful, thanks Beer.. I just picked up 2020 Ram 1500 and found 12V power outlet isn’t working. I also switched the fuse towards right for ACC ON... still not power.
Someone on another forum suggested to open the 2 screws beside the outlet and pop dash panel out and see if it’s connected to the wire.. Has anyone else had the same issue? How complicated will it be to do that for one last check before I call dealership.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Very informative and helpful, thanks Beer.. I just picked up 2020 Ram 1500 and found 12V power outlet isn’t working. I also switched the fuse towards right for ACC ON... still not power.
Someone on another forum suggested to open the 2 screws beside the outlet and pop dash panel out and see if it’s connected to the wire.. Has anyone else had the same issue? How complicated will it be to do that for one last check before I call dealership.
Not complicated at all. Two screws and you can pull the bezel right out.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey i was doing work inside the ram.i tried and use the electrical outlets. no power.i turn on the ignition switch and even turn on the "Run"and still nothing!

Joe Allen

Reaction score
Where are the fuses to the 12v power outlet located. I have a 2021 and outlet is on all the time. I want to run a dash cam, need it to turn off with switch.

Joe Allen

Reaction score
Thanks to Runswithbeers post I just went to garage and moved fuse to right and bingo it worked. I had a 99 300m I did the same thing to, had a 2011 Silverado I couldn’t change.

BobK

Reaction score

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet. Another helpful thread. Mine was set up like the OP from the factory and I use it for the dash cam as well. Changed it to ACC/ON and now I don't have to remember to turn it off/unplug it... and I didn't really want to use the OBD port to power it.

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread