5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always on 12v DC Power Outlet

Clayinfla

Reaction score
Sorry for a Dumb question. I removed the two screws at the bottom of the plastic panel, but it seems to also be attached in other places. Are there retainer clips that need to be released in addition to the two screws at the bottom of the panel? I didn’t want to break them by forcing the panel out.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for a Dumb question. I removed the two screws at the bottom of the plastic panel, but it seems to also be attached in other places. Are there retainer clips that need to be released in addition to the two screws at the bottom of the panel? I didn’t want to break them by forcing the panel out.
Pull it. There are clips in addition to the screws. I think every part in this truck has both screws and clips holding it in place.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Picture of the pulled panel and clips on the back in this thread ---> Link

Clayinfla

Reaction score
Thanks Manny and Grim. Less than 5 minutes with a little clarity. Fixed a major annoyance for me!

BobK

Reaction score
Yep, first thing i had to google when getting my new truck. Dump idea for them to have that on all the time like that. But then again, it helped me find these forums. :)

ebad6701

Reaction score
From another post... https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/ignition-switched-usb-ports.23688/page-2#post-332237

Underneath the steering wheel you have a big panel. Removing two screws on the bottom of it and the whole thing pops right out.
You just need to move this fuse to this location. Your fuse will be in the right-hand position.

View attachment 69758
Thanks so much for this! It worked in my 2021 Ram 1500 as well. Clarification; shifting the highlighted fuse from the position it's in, to the right one pin.

sep1006

Reaction score
From another post... https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/ignition-switched-usb-ports.23688/page-2#post-332237

Underneath the steering wheel you have a big panel. Removing two screws on the bottom of it and the whole thing pops right out.
You just need to move this fuse to this location. Your fuse will be in the right-hand position.

View attachment 69758

Okay for the life of me I can't figure this out, I know I know. Anyway here is a pic of what mine looks like. I would like the radar detector to go off and on with the truck. So exactly what fuse do I need to move where. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1459.jpg

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay for the life of me I can't figure this out, I know I know. Anyway here is a pic of what mine looks like. I would like the radar detector to go off and on with the truck. So exactly what fuse do I need to move where. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 95467
Move this one to the right...

IMG_1459.jpg

sep1006

Reaction score
Okay thanks, I will try that tomorrow when I get home.

Topher

Reaction score
So what's the point of setting it up so that it's always on? And is this solution of moving the fuse safe for the truck? Or was it set up like this to give the owner the option on what he or she wants the outlet to do?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
So what's the point of setting it up so that it's always on? And is this solution of moving the fuse safe for the truck? Or was it set up like this to give the owner the option on what he or she wants the outlet to do?
It was designed that way. It's in the owner's manual.

step07726

Reaction score
Don't know what to make of the 2021 1500 big horn owners manual where it shows a pic of the fuse box, and states you can move the fuse to ignition instead of battery with giving the fuses location.
But when I opened my fuse box, it was not the same.
So back to square one again trying to find the fuses location.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't know what to make of the 2021 1500 big horn owners manual where it shows a pic of the fuse box, and states you can move the fuse to ignition instead of battery with giving the fuses location.
Where is the fuse box that you looked at? I believe there are a few fuse boxes on the Ram, one under the dash and one under the hood.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It's the fuse box under the dash. You need to drop the knee bolster, 2 screws and some tugging.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For years I always had a vehicle with this functionality in its one and only 12v outlet long before the days of USB in a vehicle and I've missed having it. I mostly used mine for charging mobile devices when out camping or just in general travels when I'd forget a wall charger.

If your vehicle battery isn't a cheap piece of trash and you're not trying to run a laptop with the car off frequently, you're fine. Personally, I'd rather have the option than not. The functionality just has to fall into a relevant use case.

JRankine

Reaction score
I have a followup question to this thread, if you don't mind. Great information so far, so thank you.
My truck has the always live 12v outlet as discussed above, my question is if this would be battery drain protected if I happen to leave a detector plugged in?
Thank you in advance

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a followup question to this thread, if you don't mind. Great information so far, so thank you.
My truck has the always live 12v outlet as discussed above, my question is if this would be battery drain protected if I happen to leave a detector plugged in?
Thank you in advance
Leave something powered on in a constant power circuit and it'll eventually drain the battery. That said, there are products with protection built in. For example, the Blackvue dash cam I have will power down when it senses a selectable voltage. Keeps it from killing the battery while in parking mode, which is powered from a constant power circuit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread