5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpine 9.1 - Why bother?

Helmetface

Reaction score
Click baity enough of a title?

But seriously! I've seen a number of people swapping out their speakers... Is it that bad?

I am an amateur audiophile. I don't need the best, but I like a good, clear sound. That being said, from what I've been reading about the Alpine kit, I'm a likely candidate for replacing all of the drivers, eventually.

So, what advantages would someone, who plans to upgrade their speakers, gain from going with the Alpine option over the standard MH?

Thanks for any input!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Click baity enough of a title?

But seriously! I've seen a number of people swapping out their speakers... Is it that bad?

I am an amateur audiophile. I don't need the best, but I like a good, clear sound. That being said, from what I've been reading about the Alpine kit, I'm a likely candidate for replacing all of the drivers, eventually.

So, what advantages would someone, who plans to upgrade their speakers, gain from going with the Alpine option over the standard MH?

Thanks for any input!
It's a decent start. I think the 5th Gen Alpine is just a bit flat compared to the 4th Gen, IMHO. So I swapped out the front dash corners and it woke up enough for me to be extremely happy. I would also consider myself an amateur audiophile and the corners were the ticket for my ears. Other than that, I have no issue with the Alpine setup.

To answer your question directly, I would say the advantage is having all the logistical work done, Amp, wires to each speaker location, etc. All you have to do is swap whatever drivers don't pass the test.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No advantage IMO if you plan to add your own audio. On my 14 I bought the non-alpine for this specific purpose as I knew I'd be upgrading all of it. With the Alpine though, you might just like it enough that you'll skip the aftermarket stuff. Only your ears can tell you.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I personally don’t think the alpine is a good investment unless you leave it alone. Not worth the $$ if you’re going to rip out the speakers and possibly do a sub enclosure which if you’re even a novice audiophile you will. At least with the hk you have a higher likelihood of swapping less gear and also have the additional tweeter locations/wiring so even if you did change certain things, wires and holes are there. Personally I don’t think either are worth the $$$ unless you will leave them alone or possibly just swap the dash speakers which are easy and cheap. Otherwise save the money, get a base setup and do everything custom.

Helmetface

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information! Truly helps a ton!

That being said, what speaker locations do you gain with the Alpine over standard?

Seems to me:
Standard = 4 doors and 2 dash
Alpine = 4 doors, 3 dash, 2 overhead rear and sub

Is this correct?

My of my builds in the past have been 3 way active setups that included only the front sound stage. I almost wouldn't mind having some rear fill on this truck, as the cabin is so large...

Anyone have any links to some "serious" builds that started with the Alpine option? Really, just curious.

Thanks again! I've already given my salesman my CC# and he's ordering it as soon as I make up my damn mind! (I'm also struggling on color choice...thinking Granite....sigh)

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Standard Audio System
The standard six-speaker audio system on the Tradesman, HFE, Big Horn and Rebel includes 2 3.5-inch instrument panel speakers, 2 6×9-inch front door speakers and 2 6×9-inch rear door speakers.
Alpine Premium Audio System
Optional on the Big Horn and Rebel and standard on the Laramie, Longhorn and Limited trim levels, the 10-speaker Alpine Premium audio system offers a next-level audio experience. The 506-watt system includes 3 instrument panel speakers, 2 front door speakers, 2 rear door speakers, 2 headliner speakers and a 10-inch subwoofer behind the passenger rear seat.
Harmon Kardon Audio System
The 1500’s most advanced audio system offered, the all-new Harman Kardon® Premium Audio System comes as optional on the Laramie, Longhorn and Limited trim levels. The sound system confidently referred to by Ram as “the most powerful audio system in a pickup” promises to be a worthwhile addition for any music enthusiast. Fitted with a class-high of 19 speakers in all, the upscale 900-watt system offers 360-degree surround-sound and Digital Signal Processing.
Included are 3 speakers in the instrument panel, 2 speakers located in the upper front doors, 2 speakers in the rear headliner, 4 woofers located in each lower door and a powerful 10-inch subwoofer located behind the passenger-side rear seat. Integrated Green Edge Technology increases the system’s longevity while reducing overall weight and energy consumption. Offered exclusively on the Limited trim level, available genuine stainless-steel speaker grilles.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Just picked up my 19 Rebel with Alpine and it's a decent stock system. Clear and plenty of bass for me.

Edit: more seat time today. EQ settings, bass 2,mid 6, treble 8, speed sound 2. Source - Sirius or Amazon via Android Auto. With the moonroof and windows open on the highway I can crank it to max and hear no distortion. Solid system and I like how the bass hits.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I intentionally bought the Alpine even knowing I would be swapping all speakers out. I liked having the extra speaker locations and while it doesn't sound bad stock, it sounds even better with proper speakers. I probably won't run an amp anywhere else aside from the subwoofer because I feel the factory amp drives the 9 speakers enough for me already.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I originally thought the Alpine system was a little flat. I had to adjust the equalizer, loudness settings, and the surround sound setting. Additionally, I had to increase the quality of the source material (like allowing higher definition audio in my streaming service).

Now, I think it plays perfectly fine.

KiddKrucial

Reaction score
My truck came with the Alpine 9.1 and I'll be honest with you it sounds absolutely great to my ears. A substantial amount greater than the Bose setup that came with my Sierra in 2014. I'm getting older and extreme blow your ears out loudness isn't for me anymore '37' but it'll definitely go that high of ya need it to. I stick between 12 and 22 at the absolute very most.

RebelSteve

Reaction score
Thumbs up on the Alpine system. It's probably the best stock system of any vehicle I've ever owned. I swapped out the front corners for the Kicker DSC3504s and lived with them for a few days, but found the highs too overwhelming and even hissy at times, depending on the source material. I ended up putting the stock 3.5" speakers back in and I think they're a better match for the system.

BlckDT

Reaction score
Have the Alpine system and love it. Just an amateur but the sound is great. I can have windows/pano open and crank it without distortion. I did setup my equilizer though and someone from this forum said to tweak the mid first, then treble, then base. I typically use Itunes...

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up my 19 Rebel with Alpine and it's a decent stock system. Clear and plenty of bass for me.

Edit: more seat time today. EQ settings, bass 2,mid 6, treble 8, speed sound 2. Source - Sirius or Amazon via Android Auto. With the moonroof and windows open on the highway I can crank it to max and hear no distortion. Solid system and I like how the bass hits.

Agreed.. The alpine system IMO is hands down the best audio system offered by manufacture i have ever heard. It's Clarity/Balance/ Sound stage/ low-end clarity and high-end crisp! I have always been a car-audio head and had upwards of 6-7K of JL audio speakers/amps in my vehicle at one point and The alpine audio system in my Ram is just beautiful. ***I just wish I could swap out the 10" alpine system sub woofer for 1 single channel class-D mono amp with a 10" sub in a sealed box. The classic JL 500/1 with a 10" JL W3 would totally fulfill my Low frequency needs :)

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Post a picture of your equalizer settings. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just redid mine as suggested doing mid first. I ended up 2 bass, 9 mid, 7 treble and it sounds fantastic.

Viper67

Reaction score
I just redid mine as suggested doing mid first. I ended up 2 bass, 9 mid, 7 treble and it sounds fantastic.

Stang so what exactly did you use and where? Did you keep the same amp? Did you keep the anc plugged in? Anything not work?

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Stang so what exactly did you use and where? Did you keep the same amp? Did you keep the anc plugged in? Anything not work?

All stock just played with the EQ settings

Hackmunch

Reaction score
change out the dash speakers to a coax and the alpine sounds real good.

Users who are viewing this thread