5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Edmontonram

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has added the memory function buttons on the drivers door? The ones that would remember seat position/radio station settings/maybe pedal position?

Any idea what parts would be needed and what programming would need to be done?

2020 Ram 1500 sport

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afphinfan

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has added the memory function buttons on the drivers door? The ones that would remember seat position/radio station settings/maybe pedal position?

2020 Ram 1500 sport

Thanks.

I'm no expert but I believe that the memory function is a feature of your door module, so you would need door modules that support that feature plus all other current features of your windows/side mirrors. You would also need the trim piece that includes the memory buttons and the wiring harness. Lastly you would need to configure the settings in AlphaOBD.
** Note: @Jimmy07 states in the post below that the driver's seat base/back frame also need to be replaced. Please verify this as there could be more to it, such as something different about the seats themselves, etc.

BTW, I do not know if mine adjusts anything other than seat and side mirrors because that is the major thing my vertically challenged much better half always alters. The rearview mirror is manually adjusted and I have never looked at the radio stations when recall 1 or recall 2 is used.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

2020 Ram 1500 sport

Thanks.

It’s a bit more involved than just adding the switches. You’ll need the switch, memory seat module, the driver seat base and seat back frame with motors specific for memory (regular power seat motors are not capable), memory mirrors, and wiring added to the power pedals motor connector and switch connector if the memory wires are not present in them. The door modules you have are already capable. Then you’ll make all the changes necessary with AlfaOBD.

nbase

Reaction score
Agree 100%. Windows is the only way to go if you're an iPhone owner. I purchased the Windows version for this very reason and have been very satisfied with the software...and it's easier on my old eyes versus trying to do it on an Android. Some of those menus in AlfaOBD are huge and scrolling through them on my laptop is much easier than what I've seen on the Androids.
Does the windows version take a really long time to connect? I'm probably doing something wrong, or have the wrong setting somewhere...

nekit

Reaction score
Does the windows version take a really long time to connect? I'm probably doing something wrong, or have the wrong setting somewhere...
No mine connects right away. Make sure you have already connected to the bluetooth OBD2 adapter in Windows before connecting in Alfobd. Select the module that you want to connect to, usually the body control module. Then click connect. takes about 3 seconds.

nbase

Reaction score
No mine connects right away. Make sure you have already connected to the bluetooth OBD2 adapter in Windows before connecting in Alfobd. Select the module that you want to connect to, usually the body control module. Then click connect. takes about 3 seconds.
I ended up buying the USB version that was recommended on the AlphaOBD website, OBDLink EX, and I waited probably 5 minutes and it never connected. I bet I have to install drivers for that thing, just thought about that....

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use an OBDLink SX to connect (hard wired USB-A to OBDII connectors): https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBD...d=1&keywords=obdlink+sx&qid=1622045613&sr=8-2

Plug-and-play with no issues since the first time I used it. Since there's not BT settings/connectivity to deal with it connects instantaneously.

The only drawback is that I can't go as far away as BT since I have a cord but I'm fine working with it inside the cab to avoid any connectivity issues (I also have an OBDLink LX but haven't tried it out for this yet). I set the laptop on the center console cover and have a notepad and my mouse in the passenger's seat while I work (I use a track ball mouse).

Last edited:

nbase

Reaction score
I use an OBDLink SX to connect (hard wired USB-A to OBDII connectors): https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBD...d=1&keywords=obdlink+sx&qid=1622045613&sr=8-2

Plug-and-play with no issues since the first time I used it. Since there's not BT settings/connectivity to deal with it connects instantaneously.

The only drawback is that I can't go as far away as BT since I have a cord but I'm fine working with it inside the cab to avoid any connectivity issues (I also have an OBDLink LX but haven't tried it out for this yet). I set the laptop on the center console cover and have a notepad and my mouse in the passenger's seat while I work (I use a track ball mouse).
So it was me being to eager to get in to this on my lunch hour....I needed to update the driver for the OBDLink EX, just ran out there, it does connect right away now. Now I just need to spend some time with it....and see if there is a way on the windows setup to backup the initial config of the BCM before I touch anything. As always, thanks for all the quick responses and help!!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So it was me being to eager to get in to this on my lunch hour....I needed to update the driver for the OBDLink EX, just ran out there, it does connect right away now. Now I just need to spend some time with it....and see if there is a way on the windows setup to backup the initial config of the BCM before I touch anything. As always, thanks for all the quick responses and help!!
There's no backup 'file' to create that I know of.

I copied and pasted my BCM list to a Word document and saved that as my "master" so that I know all the original settings that the truck came with.

I made a copy of it and called it "modified" and I keep it up to date with my current BCM settings so that I know what I have changed.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just to elaborate on how to save your current BCM configuration:
Connect to the body computer. Click on faults/status tab. Click read system ID and let the list fully populate. Click read system status and let the list fully populate. Click view log. Inside the pop up notepad file, click file, and save as wherever you want on your laptop. Now, as long as you don’t click clear log, each time you read the system ID, the new log will get tacked onto the previous one, and will keep getting added to each time you read the system ID. If you only want a single, current log each time, click clear log, then read the system ID.

nbase

Reaction score
Just to elaborate on how to save your current BCM configuration:
Connect to the body computer. Click on faults/status tab. Click read system ID and let the list fully populate. Click read system status and let the list fully populate. Click view log. Inside the pop up notepad file, click file, and save as wherever you want on your laptop. Now, as long as you don’t click clear log, each time you read the system ID, the new log will get tacked onto the previous one, and will keep getting added to each time you read the system ID. If you only want a single, current log each time, click clear log, then read the system ID.
When I try to view the log it errors out trying to open it. Not a big deal, it allows me to right click copy then paste it somewhere. My issue now, no matter what ECU I select, it tells me Wrong ISO, but it does let me continue. I do not see any of the settings anywhere on what I can change. Maybe I should have bought an Android tablet, wow this is frustrating.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I try to view the log it errors out trying to open it. Not a big deal, it allows me to right click copy then paste it somewhere. My issue now, no matter what ECU I select, it tells me Wrong ISO, but it does let me continue. I do not see any of the settings anywhere on what I can change. Maybe I should have bought an Android tablet, wow this is frustrating.
For the wrong ISO pop up, just click continue. Click active diagnostics tab up top. Drop down the menu box, scroll all the way down and click car configuration change. This is where all the settings are.

nbase

Reaction score
For the wrong ISO pop up, just click continue. Click active diagnostics tab up top. Drop down the menu box, scroll all the way down and click car configuration change. This is where all the settings are.
Wow, thank you so much! I just changed the tailgate open warning, just to get familiar with the software, and how modifying stuff works. Just got your TTPMS cable in the mail just now, that will be this weekends project!

Pompito

Reaction score
Hi, is there a post were it lists everything can can be done with alpha OBD? I’ve seen random posts / threads about things that can be done. I believe I read something similar in this thread. But cant remember the page.

cnstoll

Reaction score
I’m curious about the AlphaODB. Are you able to use it to allow the front/rear facing cameras to turn remain on for any duration / speed, or is that only something the TazerDT can do?

JDR227

Reaction score
Ok, I searched this thread and the towing thread for how to setting it back to stock. I must have touched something and now I'm getting a few blank pages in the evic. On the bright side my towing information is working and so is the passive alarm.

Thanks,
Jay

adrenaline66

Reaction score
Global up has never worked on Ram trucks, and the global down capability was removed on 2019+ Rams.
You need memory mirrors for tilt in reverse to work.
Not sure if that is correct: I have a 21 BigHorn Level 2 that has power folding mirrors, but not "Memory" and the Tilt in Reverse works on my mirrors.

Evank33

Reaction score
Not sure if that is correct: I have a 21 BigHorn Level 2 that has power folding mirrors, but not "Memory" and the Tilt in Reverse works on my mirrors.
Those are memory mirrors. That feature isn't possible on certain trims

Users who are viewing this thread