5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD Known Changes 5th Gen

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like all lights to come on when started and to turn off after leaving the vehicle without having to touch the dial. My Challenger SRT392 does that..I never touch the dial.
Mine is on the auto selection and does this..?

Ready Go

Reaction score
I figure it this way..the factory already has an 8 minute timer to turn off all the lights controlled when the Light Switch is left on, so why not just reprogram that down to 2 minutes and then I'll never have to touch that switch again..and I'll always have all lights as running lights.
I really like the look of the LED Lights on the truck..and it's for safety also. Challenger does this so I figure the Ram could too.
I'm looking for ALL the exterior lights to go on/off with the ignition switch basically. It can do it already..but takes 8 minutes after shutting off the truck to go off automatically..which is too long.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I figure it this way..the factory already has an 8 minute timer to turn off all the lights controlled when the Light Switch is left on, so why not just reprogram that down to 2 minutes and then I'll never have to touch that switch again..and I'll always have all lights as running lights.
I really like the look of the LED Lights on the truck..and it's for safety also. Challenger does this so I figure the Ram could too.
The challenger uses the same bcm and programming as the rams, so, unless something is going over my head on what you’re trying to do, is this not accomplished in the radio settings under lights > headlights off delay?

Ready Go

Reaction score
The challenger uses the same bcm and programming as the rams, so, unless something is going over my head on what you’re trying to do, is this not accomplished in the radio settings under lights > headlights off delay?
I had a feeling you'd jump in..seems like you're a guru on this stuff.
Maybe I am actually missing something..I thought the Headlight Delay only kept the Headlights on for set time (set in the radio timer) to get from the truck to the door at night. Does that keep tail lights, bedlights, etc also on. I'll have to check, but I don't think this does what I want. I'm gonna look into it.
This is how I want to leave the switch..and how the lights look. After 8 minutes the lights will go off.

Attachments

• 20231124_181249.jpg
    20231124_181249.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20231124_181324.jpg
    20231124_181324.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 32

Ready Go

Reaction score
I'm probably not stating this well.
The factory has a "safety/anti- battery drain" 8 minute time limit for the outside lights to stay on after shutting the truck off (with the Light Switch set to Lights) and then it'll turn the lights off to save a battery drainage. I want to change that "time to off" to 1-3 minutes.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm probably not stating this well.
The factory has a "safety/anti- battery drain" 8 minute time limit for the outside lights to stay on after shutting the truck off (with the Light Switch set to Lights) and then it'll turn the lights off to save a battery drainage. I want to change that "time to off" to 1-3 minutes.
That’s a strange request for sure, but if the challenger behaves the way you’re describing, we’ll see if we can get the ram to act the same way. Can you send me logs of the bcm system ID’s of both vehicles.

Ready Go

Reaction score
That’s a strange request for sure, but if the challenger behaves the way you’re describing, we’ll see if we can get the ram to act the same way. Can you send me logs of the bcm system ID’s of both vehicles.
Yep, guess it does seem strange..and I guess I've gotten lazy with the Challenger..I like all my outside lights on when driving. I don't like having to turn the switch on & off each time. Interestingly, my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe Sport also was able to do this..hadn't used the switch on it or the Challenger in years. My wife's ND Miata Club is old school..nothing is automatic (trans included🤣).
Unfortunately, we just sold the Challenger and Hyundai so I can't get info off that car for you to compare to the Ram (hoping to pick up a HC Durango to replace them).
Anything from the Ram that would help?

Ready Go

Reaction score
I did just check the headlight delay in the radio settings..doesn't do what I want..but not sure?!
I changed the Headlight Delay from 60 seconds to the maximum 90 seconds..and the Headlights and Taillights stayed on and then Auto-shut off. They never stayed on at all before..only the Cargo & Taligate lights did before and still do..wtf.
Maybe if I were to cover the Day/Night Sunlight sensor and left the switch in Auto, that would work to turn the lights on in the daytime and then Delay Off for 90 seconds. My Auto Wipers & High beams would work too..although, THAT I'd prefer to manually do!🤯

Last edited:

Ready Go

Reaction score
Programmed Light Delay a NO.
I'll have to wait until I get the AlfaOBD running and start poking around to look for the "Power Off Exterior Lights Delayed Off" (??) programming and try to adjust that 8 minutes down to 1-2 minutes.
It'll give me something of a brain teaser.👍

Bigty

Reaction score
Well, there isn't a 35" tire that actually measures a true 35". So if you set it to 35" it's not correct. I have 35x12.50R20 Radar tires. Using my TazerDT I have my tire height set to 34.6 IIRC, or whatever the closest number is to that. No issues with parking sensors.
For tire size changes, has anybody found the maximum size that still allows the front and rear parking sensors to work? Once the update to 35s took effect, the sensors show unavailable. I tried the remaining changes for the ABS initialization and it was grayed out for me…couldn’t start that setting change.
Did you get the greyed out sorted? Mine is doing the same thing......

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was probably grayed out because the adapter he was using for alfaObd wasn't compatible with accessing the ABS controller.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s normal for it to be grayed out. You don’t start the procedure there. It just just lists the procedures that you need to perform.

Bigty

Reaction score
It’s normal for it to be grayed out. You don’t start the procedure there. It just just lists the procedures that you need to perform.
Lol, totally figured it out after my brain slowed down enough to see the step i was missing.

Users who are viewing this thread