5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD Known Changes 5th Gen

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So last year I changed my heated steering wheel controls to high/med/low and it worked great all last winter. Not suing the heated steering wheel all summer, I hit it the other day, and somehow it had reverted back to the stock one temp on/off. Which is funny because several who had made the change and wanted to go back to stock couldnt do it themselves, and had to get a modified configuration file from @Jimmy07 . I wouldn't think this would be a setting changed OTA, and only time truck has been to the dealer was to replace a leaking valve cover seal.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So last year I changed my heated steering wheel controls to high/med/low and it worked great all last winter. Not suing the heated steering wheel all summer, I hit it the other day, and somehow it had reverted back to the stock one temp on/off. Which is funny because several who had made the change and wanted to go back to stock couldnt do it themselves, and had to get a modified configuration file from @Jimmy07 . I wouldn't think this would be a setting changed OTA, and only time truck has been to the dealer was to replace a leaking valve cover seal.
Dealers sometimes flash the computer no matter what they are doing to the vehicle.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No they don't. And none of my other changes were reversed
Sometimes techs just flash things in a desperation to fix things. The flash wouldn't be the issue, performing a vehicle reconfiguration would be the issue. That would revert the vehicle back to what Ram/Stellantis thinks the truck is equipped with.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes techs just flash things in a desperation to fix things. The flash wouldn't be the issue, performing a vehicle reconfiguration would be the issue. That would revert the vehicle back to what Ram/Stellantis thinks the truck is equipped with.
I was only at dealer for a leaking valve cover. There was no reason to even connect to BCM to flash anything. And other changes I made weren't changed back to factory

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was only at dealer for a leaking valve cover. There was no reason to even connect to BCM to flash anything. And other changes I made weren't changed back to factory
I didn't say they did it, I said some do flash then proceeded to explain how any changes made by an aftermarket device would could be reverted back to factory settings in a dealership.

Every car I pull into the shop is scanned and reports made(scan, configuration, and health). These reports are then attached to the repair order.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say they did it, I said some do flash then proceeded to explain how any changes made by an aftermarket device would could be reverted back to factory settings in a dealership.

Every car I pull into the shop is scanned and reports made(scan, configuration, and health). These reports are then attached to the repair order.
They connect a obd scan tool when you pull into service drive, but they definitely aren't updating anything. I'm just confused as to how the steering wheel heater controls changed, but nothing else I changed did

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They connect a obd scan tool when you pull into service drive, but they definitely aren't updating anything. I'm just confused as to how the steering wheel heater controls changed, but nothing else I changed did

Your subscription expired.

:)

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not suing the heated steering wheel all summer, I hit it the other day, and somehow it had reverted back to the stock one temp on/off.
One thing I didn’t see you actually say, and just want to verify:
Did you just try using the heated wheel button, and it only performed the on/off function, so you automatically assumed that the setting reverted?
Or, did you notice that behavior, then use AlfaOBD to read the system ID, and see that the setting is currently set back to “not defined”?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I didn’t see you actually say, and just want to verify:
Did you just try using the heated wheel button, and it only performed the on/off function, so you automatically assumed that the setting reverted?
Or, did you notice that behavior, then use AlfaOBD to read the system ID, and see that the setting is currently set back to “not defined”?
I have not connected with alfaObd, but it has definitely reverted back to on/off when pushing the button.

Soso

Reaction score
Hi All, First post on the forum. Just rolled my first Ram into the garage last week, a '23 1500 Package B, Night Edition. It's nice I like it. Coming from a Silverado that had passive entry to the Ram that does not has been brutal getting used to. The plan is to add it ASAP. In preparation I've picked up an MX+ and the patch cable and have been playing around with AlfaOBD. Figured I'd start off with something benign like windows down from the key fob (can't be done) and changed the express windows down from only front to front and back, (didn't work). Being a newb and having read AlfaOBD threads from 3 different RAM forums to the point of my eyes bleeding I'm looking for something to mess around with that doesnt involve adding equipment. I swapped out the ridiculously dim halogens for Lafiits, what a nightmare that was. They have built in resistors so no need to switch that in the BCM. Is there a repository of AlfaOBD changes that I could have missed?

Is it ok to leave the adapter cable, ($15 Amazon red version) connected at all times? (I wouldnd'nt leave the MX+ connected.) Does the truck ever look for the presence of security module? Don't want to deal with any malfunctions caused by the missing module. Even though the two plugs are right up front in the footwell they're right next to a steel support that makes it brutal to unclip easily. I know I've said I've read a lot but honestly there are so many different setups and variances from year to year it's really really easy to get confused.

Also, I haven't been able to create a backup. I click create backup and nothing happens. Am I missing a step?

Thanks - Look forward to the forum, lots of good info here!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hi All, First post on the forum. Just rolled my first Ram into the garage last week, a '23 1500 Package B, Night Edition. It's nice I like it. Coming from a Silverado that had passive entry to the Ram that does not has been brutal getting used to. The plan is to add it ASAP. In preparation I've picked up an MX+ and the patch cable and have been playing around with AlfaOBD. Figured I'd start off with something benign like windows down from the key fob (can't be done) and changed the express windows down from only front to front and back, (didn't work). Being a newb and having read AlfaOBD threads from 3 different RAM forums to the point of my eyes bleeding I'm looking for something to mess around with that doesnt involve adding equipment. I swapped out the ridiculously dim halogens for Lafiits, what a nightmare that was. They have built in resistors so no need to switch that in the BCM. Is there a repository of AlfaOBD changes that I could have missed?

Is it ok to leave the adapter cable, ($15 Amazon red version) connected at all times? (I wouldnd'nt leave the MX+ connected.) Does the truck ever look for the presence of security module? Don't want to deal with any malfunctions caused by the missing module. Even though the two plugs are right up front in the footwell they're right next to a steel support that makes it brutal to unclip easily. I know I've said I've read a lot but honestly there are so many different setups and variances from year to year it's really really easy to get confused.

Also, I haven't been able to create a backup. I click create backup and nothing happens. Am I missing a step?

Thanks - Look forward to the forum, lots of good info here!
Welcome to the forum. Alfa can be a bit irritating at times.
It is OK to leave the Bypass cable connected, and the MX+ if you like.
On the backup file, after you have connected to the Body Module follow these steps:
Select Hood Open icon> Select procedure to start> Backup Vehicle Configuration to file> Start
If that doesn't work it could be your bypass cable cannot unlock a 2023.
let us know

Soso

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Alfa can be a bit irritating at times.
It is OK to leave the Bypass cable connected, and the MX+ if you like.
On the backup file, after you have connected to the Body Module follow these steps:
Select Hood Open icon> Select procedure to start> Backup Vehicle Configuration to file> Start
If that doesn't work it could be your bypass cable cannot unlock a 2023.
let us know
Thanks for the reply John,

That's the path I used to attempt the backup , maybe I'm not waiting long enough? I'm not getting any messages after clicking start. Regarding the cable, It's the one recommended here in a lot of places. What would be a slam dunk easy clearly visible change I can try to test the cable? Like I said I tried all windows express down which would have been awesome but it didn't work, should it have?
Thanks!

Wirerat

Reaction score

That's the path I used to attempt the backup , maybe I'm not waiting long enough? I'm not getting any messages after clicking start. Regarding the cable, It's the one recommended here in a lot of places. What would be a slam dunk easy clearly visible change I can try to test the cable? Like I said I tried all windows express down which would have been awesome but it didn't work, should it have?
Thanks!
Fog Light Dropout With Highbeams Disable
CBC Features: Front Fog Lamp Dropout Enabled - No

Easy to test. Turn on high beams and see if fogs stay on.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks!
Global window down doesn't work on the 5th gen unless you have the TazerDT as it's a "live" function of the TazerDT.

Users who are viewing this thread