5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alexa or Google Home and Uconnect

Rich

Reaction score
It's a bit ironic to report that sometime today I received an email from FCA to inform me that they now have a RAM Alexa skill available for us to use! LOL

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a bit ironic to report that sometime today I received an email from FCA to inform me that they now have a RAM Alexa skill available for us to use! LOL

Did you really. I did email them today in the Contact us portion of their site somewhere, and also gave Alexa Ram app 1 star. Have since deleted the 1 star. I do see Ram Cares monitors these forums. Now, it they can update their software and compatibilities. But YES, very ironic.

Saints

Reaction score
There is a useful uconnect app, but this should not be confused with the useless and NOT WORKING uconnect Alexa skill.

On my truck I use :
  • The Uconnect Android APP,
  • The "My Mopar" Android APP (I used to use the "My RAM" Android app, but that recently stopped working after they updated it, so the "My Mopar" Android App seems to be the same as the "MY RAM" app, but just has a different opening splash screen photo),
  • The "RAM" Alexa skill for voice control.
Confused yet? ;)

Yes this is what I meant. No Uconnect skill, only Ram skill for Alexa.

For apps on the phone though I know there are a bunch of them and I think they all do the same thing.
Uconnect
Mopar
Guardian
And I’m sure I may be missing one or two.

I thought I had finally found clarity that all I needed was the Uconnect app because they all do the same thing.

Damn, this does get confusing.

Chris

Reaction score
First off, you only need the following apps (at least for using the 8.4NAV with an iPhone):
1. “Uconnect” for truck functions like remote start and lock just like the website commands (this is the one meant for 2019 5th gens; all others are meant for different vehicles); note that if the website functions don’t work, then your truck is broken and this app will not fix it.
2. “My Ram” for your Ram account for things like scheduling service, finding coupons, etc just like the website. This app doesn’t connect to your truck, just your online account.

The Alexa app is just a subset of the Uconnect app, essentially performing the same functions using voice instead of buttons.

Having said that, I finally used the Alexa app, and it did work to start my truck just like the app. However, it is very clunky, just like the truck voice commands:
Me: “Alexa, tell Ram to start my truck”
Alexa: “You have installed the Ram app. Would you like to open it?”
Me: “Alexa, tell Ram to start my truck”
Alexa: “You have installed the Ram app. Would you like to open it?”
Me: “Fine, yes, open the app”
Alexa: “Welcome to the Ram app. You can perform many functions, such as start your truck, lock your truck...”
Me: “Start my truck”
Alexa: “You have a 2019 Ram 1500; would you like to start this truck?”
Me: “Yes”
Alexa: “Please announce your password”
Me: *password*
Alexa: “OK, I have sent a command to start your truck”

I can do this through my phone in a fraction of the time; I don’t see myself making use of this unless it is streamlined.

Maple

Reaction score
I must be missing something - the Alexa app is asking for my Guardian password, but I don't have one - never set one up. I access it through the Mopar website, which redirects me to Guardian, where I can change my PIN number and security question response, but there's no option to set a password. I did try the Mopar password, my SiriusXM password, and even the pin number. The "reset password" function in the app also doesn't do anything. After I tried multiple passwords, it told me to check my email for more information - but no email was ever sent.
So, what are you guys using for a password in the Ram Alexa skill?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I must be missing something - the Alexa app is asking for my Guardian password, but I don't have one - never set one up. I access it through the Mopar website, which redirects me to Guardian, where I can change my PIN number and security question response, but there's no option to set a password. I did try the Mopar password, my SiriusXM password, and even the pin number. The "reset password" function in the app also doesn't do anything. After I tried multiple passwords, it told me to check my email for more information - but no email was ever sent.

I believe the password is your pin to remote start the vehicle.

grinch72

Reaction score
It's FCA's way of unifying across brands. The Uconnect skill worked for all sorts o
I use the username and password to my Mopar account.

Maple

Reaction score
It's FCA's way of unifying across brands. The Uconnect skill worked for all sorts o

I use the username and password to my Mopar account.

Ok, figured it out, accidentally. Apparently they updated something and changed the password requirements, so my password was no longer following their rules. Ended up having to request a reset through the standalone uconnect app and changing to a password without the symbol I had previously used. Sucks that they made me use a less secure version of my password by only accepting letters and numbers, but now I can ask my Alexa how much gas I have left.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right! It's like selling the new iPhone 12 that runs on dial-up. :ROFLMAO: At least make it where what you put in it will actually work. One step ahead stuff would be great, like the truck's interior and suspension is. It's odd that the tech stuff is where they are more primitive. Hopefully in the near future things will start rolling out. (Like in the next 2 weeks before mine comes in! #NotHoldingBreath)

So I emailed FCA yesterday about the Nav Maps being out of date. Here is their response. We should all call them and inquire/complain/pressure them to update them 2017 on digital file updates is unreal!

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Assistance Center. We sincerely apologize for the delayed response.

It is appreciated that you have reached out to us in regards to the navigation maps on your Uconnect system. We regret we are not privy to what version of maps the factory may have access to install on the Uconnect systems as the maps are provided by another party. According to our provided resources, the most appropriate department to inquire about your navigation maps being up to date would be HERE Maps. They can be reached directly at 1-866-462-8837 for further inquiry.

Please be advised that it may be possible that they may not be able to address this matter until your RAM 1500 has been delivered. Should you feel that there is a concern with your maps at the time of delivery; please feel free to contact us back to advise and we would be happy to look into any possible assistance we may be able to provide at that time.

We certainly wish we could have been of more assistance to you. At this time, we will be closing this case. Should you have any further inquiries, we would be happy to address them with you. You may reach us via chat or email through www.ramtrucks.com or contact by phone at 1-866-762-4636. Thank you, Chris, for being part of the RAM family.

We appreciate your business and have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
RAM Customer Assistance Center

Rich

Reaction score
It looks like they released an update to the "My RAM" app for Android yesterday. It's now working again and not crashing. But it still can't locate any dealers, I wonder why they are having such a hard time with finding any of their dealers? LOL

Tbonediver

Reaction score
Uconnect app for remote starting, locking, etc. Info from the 8.4 only at this point but supposedly coming for the 12inch as well. Alexa and the RAM skill if you want to remote start it or get info from it via voice in your home. At this point you can only remote start the 12inch as they dont support info gathering/reporting so saying things like "Alexa, Ask RAM how much gas in is my truck", won't work until the 12inch supports it.
Tried Alexa today with Ram skill. Remote start works, but not info like How much fuel is in my tank. When will the 12" display 4C uconnect support this? Anyone got this to work?

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've tried it three times. It worked once failed twice. But it's rather conversating it asks you three different levels of questions and it's a lot easier to just use the key fob or the app on the phone. It's a good idea they just need to refine it. Hoping Google will come out with something a little more streamlined

Users who are viewing this thread