5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alexa or Google Home and Uconnect

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. It works but you are using the wrong skill. You need to use the RAM skill and NOT the Connect skill.

View attachment 18722

Now I don't have my truck yet, but from what I'm reading and seeing, there sure seems to be a lot of apps/programs at play here. UConnect, Sirrius, Gardian, Ram, now Alexa. Is there one that does most of the work, or do you find that you have to use different apps for different things.

Starting truck
sending directions to Nav in truck
Getting truck info (heard only the 8" screens can do this, not the 12's)

Which app is the best, are the others just redundant, with only a few features? Gotta do my homework and be ready. Can't wait until it drives itself from the dealer to me! "KIT, come pick me up!" ;)

grinch72

Reaction score
Now I don't have my truck yet, but from what I'm reading and seeing, there sure seems to be a lot of apps/programs at play here. UConnect, Sirrius, Gardian, Ram, now Alexa. Is there one that does most of the work, or do you find that you have to use different apps for different things.

Starting truck
sending directions to Nav in truck
Getting truck info (heard only the 8" screens can do this, not the 12's)

Which app is the best, are the others just redundant, with only a few features? Gotta do my homework and be ready. Can't wait until it drives itself from the dealer to me! "KIT, come pick me up!" ;)

Uconnect app for remote starting, locking, etc. Info from the 8.4 only at this point but supposedly coming for the 12inch as well. Alexa and the RAM skill if you want to remote start it or get info from it via voice in your home. At this point you can only remote start the 12inch as they dont support info gathering/reporting so saying things like "Alexa, Ask RAM how much gas in is my truck", won't work until the 12inch supports it.

klail

Reaction score
Uconnect app for remote starting, locking, etc. Info from the 8.4 only at this point but supposedly coming for the 12inch as well. Alexa and the RAM skill if you want to remote start it or get info from it via voice in your home. At this point you can only remote start the 12inch as they dont support info gathering/reporting so saying things like "Alexa, Ask RAM how much gas in is my truck", won't work until the 12inch supports it.

Yup!

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I will like that "Alexa how much gas is in my tank". I actually do that at home with my oil burner tank I bought a smart oil gauge and it works great even tells me and how many days I should order a refill.

grinch72

Reaction score
I bought a smart oil gauge and it works great even tells me and how many days I should order a refill.

I know it's off topic but what gauge? I'd like that. Does it drop into the tank?

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know it's off topic but what gauge? I'd like that. Does it drop into the tank?
It's simply screws in one of the threaded openings on the top just take one of the Caps off or take out your existing float gauge. it works by sonar so it measures the depth of the oil in the tank and all you have to say is Alexa ask smart oil gauge when I need to order oil

it's called Smart Oil Gauge you can find it on Amazon

Rich

Reaction score
OH yes, this is a 'small' detail! Use the new "RAM" skill! The "Uconnect" skill won't work at all!

Somehow I had both skills installed. It is confusing if you don't notice this.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OH yes, this is a 'small' detail! Use the new "RAM" skill! The "Uconnect" skill won't work at all!

Somehow I had both skills installed. It is confusing if you don't notice this.

Great advice. So for those looking to do it they should enable the RAM skill only, not the Uconnect?
Wonder how long until Google Home comes out with RAM or Uconnect apps

Rich

Reaction score
"Alexa, steal that dudes truck for me."

Too bad they don't have a "shut off engine" and "lock the doors, but don't allow them to be unlocked".

If someone was stealing your truck we could have a way to shut it down and lock them in! LOL

Rich

Reaction score
Great advice. So for those looking to do it they should enable the RAM skill only, not the Uconnect?
Wonder how long until Google Home comes out with RAM or Uconnect apps

Yes the RAM skill, not the Uconnect. I went back and tried to test the Uconnect skill and it doesn't work.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So Uconnect fails:
  1. Maps are out of date 2017
  2. FCA knows this and just sends you to Uconnect or Guardian
  3. no vehicle report with the new upgraded 12" Uconnect.
  4. No Alexa-Uconnect integration. App exists but is a dead duck.
  5. If people want to update maps they have to pay dealer to do so (rumor)
  6. Difficulty with voice commands for navigation (must follow a certain phrasing
Glad to see the $1,200 was worth it. Seriously though, this is the only part of the whole new model 2019's that falls short, and being technology, it should be easy fixes, patches, and updates. Come on FCA!

klail

Reaction score
So Uconnect fails:
  1. Maps are out of date 2017
  2. FCA knows this and just sends you to Uconnect or Guardian
  3. no vehicle report with the new upgraded 12" Uconnect.
  4. No Alexa-Uconnect integration. App exists but is a dead duck.
  5. If people want to update maps they have to pay dealer to do so (rumor)
  6. Difficulty with voice commands for navigation (must follow a certain phrasing
Glad to see the $1,200 was worth it. Seriously though, this is the only part of the whole new model 2019's that falls short, and being technology, it should be easy fixes, patches, and updates. Come on FCA!
I agree! Honestly it doesn't take a huge commitment to update at least a few of those items. I understand that 1 and 5 in your list might take a little more effort but the others? Hire a programmer or 2 and a tester you got yourself a win. The base to work from is not bad, but add a couple people to continually improve what is already there.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree! Honestly it doesn't take a huge commitment to update at least a few of those items. I understand that 1 and 5 in your list might take a little more effort but the others? Hire a programmer or 2 and a tester you got yourself a win. The base to work from is not bad, but add a couple people to continually improve what is already there.

Right! It's like selling the new iPhone 12 that runs on dial-up. :ROFLMAO: At least make it where what you put in it will actually work. One step ahead stuff would be great, like the truck's interior and suspension is. It's odd that the tech stuff is where they are more primitive. Hopefully in the near future things will start rolling out. (Like in the next 2 weeks before mine comes in! #NotHoldingBreath)

Rich

Reaction score
I can understand the need for a PIN, but on a phone or device with a keyboard, allow it to be typed in as well as spoken, or use your fingerprint as a security option.

Ever been to a gathering of people with kids around? As soon as they learn there is an Echo or Alexa device, the kids love to run by and ask Alexa to do all sorts of things, now you have to worry about them gaining access to your truck or starting it? Some security is good! But on my phone I'd like to be able to discretely enter my PIN without speaking it aloud.

Saints

Reaction score
This is awesome news as I use Alexa for just about everything in my house. I wonder if you can create a skill so when I tell her “shut it all down” I can add to start my truck.

So when I get my truck I need the Ram skill for Alexa and Uconnect app to start/stop on my phone. No need for guardian, Mopar, etc...apps? I guess Uconnect, Mopar, guardian all accomplish the same tasks, correct?

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is awesome news as I use Alexa for just about everything in my house. I wonder if you can create a skill so when I tell her “shut it all down” I can add to start my truck.

So when I get my truck I need the Ram skill for Alexa and Uconnect app to start/stop on my phone. No need for guardian, Mopar, etc...apps? I guess Uconnect, Mopar, guardian all accomplish the same tasks, correct?

From what I just read here (see link) all you need is to enable the RAM skill in Alexa. The Uconnect does nothing. Here is a similar thread with a little more info/conversation happening. Link

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Totally agree. I have the MyChevrolet App and it uses either pin (originally) and then last year moved to fingerprint. Seems they are 2 years behind with this.

Rich

Reaction score
From what I just read here (see link) all you need is to enable the RAM skill in Alexa. The Uconnect does nothing. Here is a similar thread with a little more info/conversation happening. Link

There is a useful uconnect app, but this should not be confused with the useless and NOT WORKING uconnect Alexa skill.

On my truck I use :
  • The Uconnect Android APP,
  • The "My Mopar" Android APP (I used to use the "My RAM" Android app, but that recently stopped working after they updated it, so the "My Mopar" Android App seems to be the same as the "MY RAM" app, but just has a different opening splash screen photo),
  • The "RAM" Alexa skill for voice control.
Confused yet? ;)

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a useful uconnect app, but this should not be confused with the useless and NOT WORKING uconnect Alexa skill.

On my truck I use :
  • The Uconnect Android APP,
  • The "My Mopar" Android APP (I used to use the "My RAM" Android app, but that recently stopped working after they updated it, so the "My Mopar" Android App seems to be the same as the "MY RAM" app, but just has a different opening splash screen photo),
  • The "RAM" Alexa skill for voice control.
Confused yet? ;)
Totally. That's what I was saying earlier, so many and they all do different things. There is no one app that does 90% of the stuff? And is there also a Guardian App? Sirius?

If you have the time and don't mind let us know what apps work for what and what you use each one for. I can see this saving us a week or trial and error and frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread