5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension stuck in entry/exit - ok to drive and tow?

bobinwa

Reaction score
I have a 2022 1500 with 7,100 miles and a few days ago the 'service air suspension' notice appeared. Now it is stuck in entry/exit mode and I can't change the height. Service appointment is 2 months out. Do you think I can drive it until them and can I tow a trailer with the suspension stuck in entry/exit mode?

Rump2022

Reaction score
I have a 2022 1500 with 7,100 miles and a few days ago the 'service air suspension' notice appeared. Now it is stuck in entry/exit mode and I can't change the height. Service appointment is 2 months out. Do you think I can drive it until them and can I tow a trailer with the suspension stuck in entry/exit mode?
No, it would not be safe. I went through this with my last Ram truck. Dealer service said could also cause damage to the truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
But safe to drive without a load or any towing, until I can get it fixed?
Not really.

Lok up the lemon law in your state

Get it towed to the dealership because it's not safe to drive, call Ram to get a tow truck
Demand a loaner until it can be servced.
If no loaner, call Ram and ask to be paid for a rental (this is normal if the dealership can't provide a loaner)

Let it sit there for 2 months and either let them fix it, or make them buy it back under the lemon law in your state while you drive a loaner\rental pickup putting free miles on.

Rump2022

Reaction score
Not really.

Lok up the lemon law in your state

Get it towed to the dealership because it's not safe to drive, call Ram to get a tow truck
Demand a loaner until it can be servced.
If no loaner, call Ram and ask to be paid for a rental (this is normal if the dealership can't provide a loaner)

Let it sit there for 2 months and either let them fix it, or make them buy it back under the lemon law in your state while you drive a loaner\rental pickup putting free miles on.
Yes I agree, not safe to drive under any situation until the suspension is repaired.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
have you tried to use a scan tool and clear the code(s) or unsecure the positvie terminal on battery to reset the truck? just spit balling here lol best of luck on your truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Could also try factory resetting uConnect. That fixed a problem I had when my passenger side step wouldn't retract (or do anything).
Besides that and battery maybe try checking the fuse? I believe I saw one for air suspension.

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
Been around air suspension in trucking and with Motorhomes for a couple of decades. Just picked up my truck today, but looking under I see no purge valve nor a manual lanyard to release moisture build up. No pressure indication either so that can’t help you to see if the bags have any air pressure. Have you tried leaving your house and getting above 25 MPH and see if truck raises? I would also check fuse for air compressor as it could be blown.

bobinwa

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I was about to call RAM support and decided to remote start the truck and check again. It seemed to be working again and I raised it back to normal. Was able to get a service appointment for next Monday so I will drive it as little as possible until then, and see what they can find.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
I would check for leaks yourself. You can hear them in a quiet garage. Spray soapy water on any suspect areas and look for bubbles.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I was about to call RAM support and decided to remote start the truck and check again. It seemed to be working again and I raised it back to normal. Was able to get a service appointment for next Monday so I will drive it as little as possible until then, and see what they can find.
what was the outside temp when it wasent working well and when it came back to normal

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been there done that. If there is a leak, the compressor will run until you ger an overheat warning. Like others have said, blown fuse, frozen moisture in the system, although it is a closed system, bad switch, or funky computer. Might try disconnecting battery overnight and see if that resets system. Otherwise look for a dealer that can get you in on an emergency appointment.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put the truck in normal or off road. Put in tire jack mode or pull the fuse to disable the system. Check/measure the heights at all 4 corners. Let sit overnight and remeasure to see if it's leaking.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if its leaking( one or two corner lowering) it dosent mean its losing air automaticly, it could also be a bad valve not closing proprelly and the air goes back in tank, then compressor trys to put it back a few times untill it overhear/burn fuse/put itself in protection mode/electronic system stop it from draining battery... this is often cause by faulty valve and or condensation in valve that freeze also this alone can cause the air suspension tu put itselft in protection mode therefore not working anymore

or it can also just be a outside leak but at some point you would have a check engine (for suspension) for low nitrogen level in tank

rammin03

Reaction score
Been around air suspension in trucking and with Motorhomes for a couple of decades. Just picked up my truck today, but looking under I see no purge valve nor a manual lanyard to release moisture build up. No pressure indication either so that can’t help you to see if the bags have any air pressure. Have you tried leaving your house and getting above 25 MPH and see if truck raises? I would also check fuse for air compressor as it could be blown.
I believe the RAM system is a closed system, no way to drain it. Moisture should never be in the system unless a seal is broken somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread