5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

air suspension smoother for different models/generation?

A10

Reaction score
Hey all,

I drove a 2015 1500 Longhorn with air suspension (35,000 miles), and I loved it. It was so smooth and felt like a Cadillac over train tracks.

Then I drove the truck I currently have, 2019 1500 Laramie with air suspension and Off Road Package. Still a nice ride, feels strong. But not soft as the 2015 longhorn.

I swear the 2015 longhorn was a better ride. Is this because the air suspension system in the 4th gen models are better? Is it because the 2015 longhorn had 35,000 miles and was broken in? Is it because the air suspension system is different (stiffer) between the different models? Laramie, Limited etc. Or maybe the Off Road Package on my 2019 Laramie makes for a stiffer ride?

Test drives were all in normal ride height.

Let's hear what you think!

Thank you!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all,

I drove a 2015 1500 Longhorn with air suspension (35,000 miles), and I loved it. It was so smooth and felt like a Cadillac over train tracks.

Then I drove the truck I currently have, 2019 1500 Laramie with air suspension and Off Road Package. Still a nice ride, feels strong. But not soft as the 2015 longhorn.

I swear the 2015 longhorn was a better ride. Is this because the air suspension system in the 4th gen models are better? Is it because the 2015 longhorn had 35,000 miles and was broken in? Is it because the air suspension system is different (stiffer) between the different models? Laramie, Limited etc. Or maybe the Off Road Package on my 2019 Laramie makes for a stiffer ride?

Test drives were all in normal ride height.

Let's hear what you think!

Thank you!

OR makes it slightly stiffer by way of the Hitachi OR shocks and with the raised ride height you also have more air in the suspension. More air pressure for additional height makes it stiffer as well.
You can ride around in Aero mode for some theoretical softness and also play with your tire pressure.

Stillen

Reaction score
I feel you on this. I have a limited 2019 and it just doesnt feel as soft as my old one. Can figure out what the issue is. What is your air pressure at? I put 275/60/20 on hoping to soften the ride since the old ones had that size but cant get it just right.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebels and trucks with off road package have larger air struts and compressors from what I was told by my parts guy when I asked if I could switch out mine. This may or may not make a difference.

Even loose suspension bolts make a difference. On my first service visit, my dealer retorqued all the bolts and my ride got a tad stiffer.

19 streak

Reaction score
My 19 sport without OR rides rougher then my 18. Hands down no comparison

Stillen

Reaction score
Ok so after much trial and error here is the solution i found. I dropped all air pressure down to 25psi to soften the tires up real good for a day. Theni airedback up to 36psi which is stated on door jam. The front rides amazing smooth now but still have bounce so i said on lets drop back down. I kept playing with and at 26psi in rear my trucks damn good with no bounce and i mean just awesome ride. So since my sensors come on 10 psi below i brought it up to 30psi and am now very happy it! Problem solved. The rear ends of these trucks are way light and dont need all air pressure.
Let me know ur thoughts

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would just be happy to get my Air Suspension to work properly and not stick in Entry/exit mode or aero mode. But when it works properly it rides rougher than my 2014 Laramie did and the suspension modes change much faster on the 19 vs. the 14. I have the 20 inch Bridge stones on the 19 but had 20 inch Michelin primacy's on the 14.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That stinks. Sorry to hear.
Mine has been flawless since day one.

What did the dealer say?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That stinks. Sorry to hear.
Mine has been flawless since day one.

What did the dealer say?

Thanks....The dealer has no answers all waiting on FCA as to what the fix could be. The darn thing does not produce a code when it sticks at all. Dealer has done every thing to try and solve at their level.
Glad yours is working well. Hope mine is soon.:)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks....The dealer has no answers all waiting on FCA as to what the fix could be. The darn thing does not produce a code when it sticks at all. Dealer has done every thing to try and solve at their level.
Hope they find the culprit soon. Keep us posted.

th3duke

Reaction score

Ever get this fixed?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to tell your dealer to check for the "Metric Measurement" for the Air Suspension system. Mine never threw a code either because it was measuring the heights in the wrong measurement to work properly for the ride height calibration which was in "Standard" throwing it off by a few millimeters. So as far as the System was concerned the truck was "Normal" The "star case" they opened for me FCA instructed JT the Technician at the dealer to measure all actual heights then set to proper measurements in Millimeters!. If you need additional information as to the fix the Dealer who corrected mine is "Tim Short of Portsmouth Ohio Chrysler" ask for the service Tech "JT" or "Sean"the service mgr. 740 250 2333. I promise as soon as you tell them your issue they will know exactly what it is.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to tell your dealer to check for the "Metric Measurement" for the Air Suspension system. Mine never threw a code either because it was measuring the heights in the wrong measurement to work properly for the ride height calibration which was in "Standard" throwing it off by a few millimeters. So as far as the System was concerned the truck was "Normal" The "star case" they opened for me FCA instructed JT the Technician at the dealer to measure all actual heights then set to proper measurements in Millimeters!. If you need additional information as to the fix the Dealer who corrected mine is "Tim Short of Portsmouth Ohio Chrysler" ask for the service Tech "JT" or "Sean"the service mgr. 740 250 2333. I promise as soon as you tell them your issue they will know exactly what it is.

From the way you worded this, it sounds like there is room for the techs to input some measurement to get the air suspension to line up a certain way. Did I get that right?
I would love to be able to have my Aero mode lowered another inch so that ORP Aero is the same height as non-ORP Aero. My dealer said it can't be done but what you describe is more along the lines of what I was thinking should be possible.

Any way to see the STAR case notes?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure dealer is able to actually set height but they did in fact have to calibrate the height for each preset level to be exact in one measurement or the other and cannot be two different measurements on any one part from the way I understood it. They never shared any of the "Start" notes with me but if your get to the point they are stuck or not moving on yours , the dealer could contact the dealer guys who corrected mine to do or check the same on yours or others on here who may experience the same issue.I can tell you this issue never existed prior to the 19's is why they are struggling with it.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, so this could be completely off-base, but is it possible that the 2019 Gen5 trucks ride stiffer than the Gen4 trucks because of the increased payload? I mean, I know that many things went into the increased payload and towing capacities of the 2019s (6-lug wheels, rear differential, frame strength, bigger brakes, etc.), but could it be they had to up the air-suspension system's nominal air pressure in order to achieve the fairly significant increase in payload & towing of the Gen 5 trucks over the Gen 4 trucks?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go-Ram - some great thoughts! The air suspension is the same manufacturer as before but its different than the 4th Generation suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread