5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension not returning to Normal mode after Easy entry setting.

Paco TX

Reaction score
Field tech said they have no common complaints about the air suspension being stuck in aero mode, so I will bring it to my dealer to start documenting it. Guess that's the only way they will see the problem exists.
You can add me to the air suspension quirk list. My wife said it stayed in E/E for her entire 15 mile trip, including freeway driving at 60 mph. THAT is not even safe. Although I couldn't replicate that, I found that it shifted from E/E to Aero at 15 mph but never went to normal until I did it manually. Also, when placed into Normal or Aero mode while driving, it just stays there. This system is definitely glitchy and needs a software fix.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I can never figure out what it’s going to do. I just default to checking it periodically operating it manually.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
So I was looking at signatures to complaints, I almost wonder if it has something to do with the Off Road Group. I am seeing the same thing with mine, no rhyme or reason. Just a thought.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue with mine sticking in aero mode. Sometimes the truck works perfectly other times it sticks in Aero mode. Last time it stuck in E/E mode not allowing the suspension to return to normal ride height. My truck is in the dealer now because of it and they have had it this time for 4 days with a "star" case opened on it! (I had a 2014 with Air suspension it does not work like the ones described in this thread)

Its a glitch for sure and can prevent us from towing if stuck in E/E mode. My truck was in dealer with it for the 3rd time and dealer had an "Adaptive Reset" Performed,which had the truck suspension working perfect for two weeks them Stuck in E/E mode then back to Aero mode again. The truck is now in dealer for the 4th time since I got it with 4400 miles. I will update when I get updates. Not a happy camper with my 60K truck in the shop while I wait having no truck! No loaner was offered only to tell me they are working with FCA on it! Dealer is at a total loss but is trying to resolve it. ):

Paco TX

Reaction score
I have the same issue with mine sticking in aero mode. Sometimes the truck works perfectly other times it sticks in Aero mode. Last time it stuck in E/E mode not allowing the suspension to return to normal ride height. My truck is in the dealer now because of it and they have had it this time for 4 days with a "star" case opened on it! (I had a 2014 with Air suspension it does not work like the ones described in this thread)

Its a glitch for sure and can prevent us from towing if stuck in E/E mode. My truck was in dealer with it for the 3rd time and dealer had an "Adaptive Reset" Performed,which had the truck suspension working perfect for two weeks them Stuck in E/E mode then back to Aero mode again. The truck is now in dealer for the 4th time since I got it with 4400 miles. I will update when I get updates. Not a happy camper with my 60K truck in the shop while I wait having no truck! No loaner was offered only to tell me they are working with FCA on it! Dealer is at a total loss but is trying to resolve it. ):

I did some Air Ride testing this weekend on a long trip through the Hill Country. Here are my observations: Apparently, it depends on what setting you start in. Starting off in "Normal," if I clicked down 2 times quickly, it went straight to E/E not pausing at "Aero." Then, it would automatically rise to Normal at 15+ mph. And continuing on to highway speeds, it automatically lowered to Aero after 30 seconds or so over 60 mph, as one might expect. Interestingly, it stayed in Aero mode until I came to a nearly complete stop before raising back to Normal. However, if I started off in Aero and clicked to E/E while stopped, it would raise to Aero at 15+ and stay there at all speeds, even 70+ mph and all the way back to a stop and just stay there, until you changed it manually. The big difference seems to be the ability to place it in Aero manually and leave it there. I don't think I could do that with my '14. However, I never could replicate it staying in E/E through an entire trip which included highway speeds as my wife claimed happened to her. However, I can verify that it was in E/E when she left and E/E when she returned and she says she never touched anything.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine came back from dealer Wednesday after they had a star case opened on it. Turned out the Suspension modules were set to millimeters and not Inches on one of the modules. After they corrected with all the same in standard it works perfectly now.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine came back from dealer Wednesday after they had a star case opened on it. Turned out the Suspension modules were set to millimeters and not Inches on one of the modules. After they corrected with all the same in standard it works perfectly now.

You got the Canadian one not the US one.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

SLMinATX

Reaction score
I’m having same issue and will test again. From EE mode set with fob it stays there and either will not raise upon driving or only raises to Aero. Does not raise to Normal.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did some Air Ride testing this weekend on a long trip through the Hill Country. Here are my observations: Apparently, it depends on what setting you start in. Starting off in "Normal," if I clicked down 2 times quickly, it went straight to E/E not pausing at "Aero." Then, it would automatically rise to Normal at 15+ mph. And continuing on to highway speeds, it automatically lowered to Aero after 30 seconds or so over 60 mph, as one might expect. Interestingly, it stayed in Aero mode until I came to a nearly complete stop before raising back to Normal. However, if I started off in Aero and clicked to E/E while stopped, it would raise to Aero at 15+ and stay there at all speeds, even 70+ mph and all the way back to a stop and just stay there, until you changed it manually. The big difference seems to be the ability to place it in Aero manually and leave it there. I don't think I could do that with my '14. However, I never could replicate it staying in E/E through an entire trip which included highway speeds as my wife claimed happened to her. However, I can verify that it was in E/E when she left and E/E when she returned and she says she never touched anything.

This is exactly my experience as well.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After having my issue resolved and working perfectly now I must say I never have lowered to e/e with the fob. I will exit the truck next time I drive it in normal ride height then lower it to e/e mode with fob before taking off to report what I find as well.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just reading through the manual, and noticed this note at the end of the Air Suspension section:
NOTE: Speed thresholds for raising the vehicle only apply if Automatic Aero Mode is enabled.
NOTE: Automatic Aero Mode may be disabled through vehicle settings in the instrument cluster display or through your Uconnect Radio if equipped. Refer to “Instrument Cluster Display” in “Getting To Know Your Instrument Panel” or “Uconnect Settings” in “Multimedia” for further information.

Bronenosets

Reaction score
My 2016 Rebel did default to “Aero” whenever “Entry/Exit” was selected. Then a correction to “Normal” would change the default. My 2019 Limited seems to really insist on “Aero” all the time. It will allow the change, but every time returns to it’s preference. I didn’t find it annoying enough to try to determine the root cause, but I am under the impression this is a feature, not a bug.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2016 Rebel did default to “Aero” whenever “Entry/Exit” was selected. Then a correction to “Normal” would change the default. My 2019 Limited seems to really insist on “Aero” all the time. It will allow the change, but every time returns to it’s preference. I didn’t find it annoying enough to try to determine the root cause, but I am under the impression this is a feature, not a bug.
I was under the same impression at first until towing flat bed trailer which empty is 1600 lbs and with cargo on it maybe 3500 Lbs. All worked fine in tow mode. After unhooking trailer parking truck until next day,the truck sent message in evic (not a code) that payload had been exceeded over the specified limits when nothing had been hauled in the bed of the truck....then when driving the truck with no load or trailer it would go back to aero mode,tried selecting tow mode while in aero truck would not default NRH as its suppose too. So its most certainly not a feature. Its an issue,its back in shop at current time for the 5th time.

JoeRam

Reaction score
@Ramit392 Any follow up to this? Also want to ask do you know if your truck is Auto Leveling?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Ramit392 Any follow up to this? Also want to ask do you know if your truck is Auto Leveling?

They never could resolve the issues concerning auto modes. Truck would auto level perfectly not being out of level at all. No codes were produced at any times with in the system. two separate star cases with FCA resulted in FCA having the dealer to replaced Master Pump and command module .Dealer performed 4 different calibration resets that would work any where from one to three days each time they kept the truck in shop to reset it, then it would go back to sticking in Aero mode.

The truck will drop to exit /entry mode fine then after taking off will go in to aero mode and stay there no matter what you do.Changes in menus of the Air suspension has no effect what so ever. But truck drives and runs great just stuck in aero mode.There were a few other non suspension issues we had resolved as well with another we never figured out either.

My dealer and FCA have been great to work with and tried all they could to resolve. FCA has approved buy Back and new replacement unit was ordered last Friday.I commend the dealer and FCA for all they have done to make me happy. I would buy another Ram in a Heart beat this one just has gremlins running around in it. :)

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
I have noticed my suspension will not auto adjust if my seat belt is not plugged in, also the truck will not shut down at stops.

Soup

Reaction score
My truck also doesn't automatically return to aero or normal ride height from exit height every time. I left the dealership after delivery of the truck in exit height and didn't notice until I was 20 miles away that the truck didn't self-adjust to normal height. I manually moved the truck to normal height, which works every time. Sometimes the truck moves automatically from exit height to aero or normal height or doesn't move at all. At least you would think the auto height adjustment would be consistent if it was functioning properly. My dealer isn't sure how it's supposed to work so they don't know if it needs fixing. If anybody has found a solution let me know, thanks.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some of us have noticed that the automatic ride height doesn't seem to work correctly when the truck is remote started. Starting from the button on the dash always seems to work.

JoeRam

Reaction score
Well today for the first time, the truck appears to doing as designed, and w/o any service. (I have a scheduled visit this week, go figure.) No matter how I lowered the truck, and or started the truck, meaning from key fob or using the interior selector and push to start, the truck would raise to NORM height at 15 MPH as designed... I am not sure what to make of this but prior it would not function at all after lowering the truck unless manually selecting to raise it.. Hmmmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread