5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension not returning to Normal mode after Easy entry setting.

RVAH-13

Reaction score
That's interesting. Did you accelerate quickly to a speed which would trigger Aero mode?

If I lower the truck while sitting in it, 100% of the time it returns to NRH when I hit 15mph, and then Aero somewhere north of 60mph.

I LOVE the air suspension for loading and unloading... used it on a family vacation and it was very helpful.

-John
Yes, and likewise from the lowered position. Mine also has the automatic running boards and my wife loves them. She is only 4' 11.75" don't forget the .75".

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
Took my truck in to the Dealer last week for this problem and they gave me a copy of a FCA STAR Online Publication case# S1902000003 dated 6-May-2019. Bottom line is FCA knows that the truck will not raise out of Entry/Exit height if it was previously commanded with the key off using the customer's remote entry fob. STAR pub also states that FCA does not plan to repair with part replacement and advises customer to use the manual dash-mounted switch to change ride-height in this scenario. Sure would be nice if FCA would let us know this tidbit - instead of forcing the consumer to take their truck into the dealership to find out what they know, but didn't put in the Owner's Manual and aren't telling us unless we ask.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
The dealer told me to put the truck in park and wait for to suspension to lower and come to a full stop before stopping the ignition. That's what I've been doing and it comes down every time.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The dealer told me to put the truck in park and wait for to suspension to lower and come to a full stop before stopping the ignition. That's what I've been doing and it comes down every time.
It always comes down (as long as doors are closed); it just won’t auto-raise if you lower it with the fob while it’s off. To me, it’s no big deal. I can easily hit the toggle a time or two after starting the truck.

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
It always comes down (as long as doors are closed); it just won’t auto-raise if you lower it with the fob while it’s off. To me, it’s no big deal. I can easily hit the toggle a time or two after starting the truck.

No big deal if you remember to toggle it. Owners Manual says nothing about having to raise it manually. This is a design flaw and fault that FCA has chosen not to fix!!! Totally chicken skit position for FCA to take on their "Motor Trend Truck of the Year", one that many customers paid upwards of $50k to purchase. Really, how hard could it be for them to come up with a fix for this problem?

I wonder what mechanical consequence(s) with the truck may result from driving at-speed for oh, say, 500 miles in Entry/Exit mode?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No big deal if you remember to toggle it. Owners Manual says nothing about having to raise it manually. This is a design flaw and fault that FCA has chosen not to fix!!! Totally chicken skit position for FCA to take on their "Motor Trend Truck of the Year", one that many customers paid upwards of $50k to purchase. Really, how hard could it be for them to come up with a fix for this problem?

I wonder what mechanical consequence(s) with the truck may result from driving at-speed for oh, say, 500 miles in Entry/Exit mode?
I don’t know about mechanical consequences, but your butt will be sore! The rear sits on the bump stops in E/E mode.

JoeRam

Reaction score
For FCA to not take corrective actions vs making a statement to raise it manually tells me they are at a loss. Interesting enough, the suspension components are the same as previous years, but the computers in today's trucks are doing more then previous years and more handshakes between components are occuring. I believe it is a software issue that they can't determine what handshake is missed during certain steps of operations. If I were to guess, having had a '19 1500 limited, one could get each and every truck that has the Air Suspension to fail. There is a trigger that if not met correctly, it will remain in Entry Exit Just my opinion!!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For FCA to not take corrective actions vs making a statement to raise it manually tells me they are at a loss. Interesting enough, the suspension components are the same as previous years, but the computers in today's trucks are doing more then previous years and more handshakes between components are occuring. I believe it is a software issue that they can't determine what handshake is missed during certain steps of operations. If I were to guess, having had a '19 1500 limited, one could get each and every truck that has the Air Suspension to fail. There is a trigger that if not met correctly, it will remain in Entry Exit Just my opinion!!
“It’s not a defect; it’s a feature!” (software developer humor)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as I know, the problem is only when you lower the truck while the truck is turned off. I.e. with the key fob (while truck is off).

I'm guessing it as simple as whatever part of the truck's brain is that keeps track of what you do with the suspension settings is asleep when you lower it with the key fob (and the truck is off), so it can't "log" that you lowered it with the key fob. So, it doesn't know to raise it back up later.

The truck is "smart" and if you manually set it to Aero height, it stays there, even at lower speeds. If you have it in Normal ride height, then it automatically lowers and raises in and out of Aero mode. But if you manually put it there, it stays.

I'm thinking that putting it in E/E mode while the truck is off has a similar effect. It leaves the truck in a state of thinking that you put it there manually and want it to stay there.

That is putting it in simple terms.

Zinger

Reaction score
I'm sure it's fixable, they just haven't given it a high priority. I imagine the testing and Q/A cycle for something that can easily kill you and your passengers is pretty rigorous, so they can only push out certain fixes so fast.

I totally agree though that customers should be notified about operational anomalies like this so they are aware. That's the big miss on the part of FCA.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure it's fixable, they just haven't given it a high priority. I imagine the testing and Q/A cycle for something that can easily kill you and your passengers is pretty rigorous, so they can only push out certain fixes so fast.

I totally agree though that customers should be notified about operational anomalies like this so they are aware. That's the big miss on the part of FCA.
True that. One little disclaimer in the owner’s manual would address that.

But...I wouldn’t hold my breath. As it is, the manual doesn’t even address the fact that non-Rebels with the Off-Road Group and 4-Corner Air Suspension options have only four modes (just like Rebels with air).

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as I know, the problem is only when you lower the truck while the truck is turned off. I.e. with the key fob (while truck is off).

I'm guessing it as simple as whatever part of the truck's brain is that keeps track of what you do with the suspension settings is asleep when you lower it with the key fob (and the truck is off), so it can't "log" that you lowered it with the key fob. So, it doesn't know to raise it back up later.

The truck is "smart" and if you manually set it to Aero height, it stays there, even at lower speeds. If you have it in Normal ride height, then it automatically lowers and raises in and out of Aero mode. But if you manually put it there, it stays.

I'm thinking that putting it in E/E mode while the truck is off has a similar effect. It leaves the truck in a state of thinking that you put it there manually and want it to stay there.

That is putting it in simple terms.

The aero mode in the settings only turns aero off automatically,it has no effect of the truck staying in aero mode. If you push button for the truck to go to aero mode it will no matter what the "Settings" is at and as soon as you go below 15 MPH the truck will return to default Normal mode. If you turn aero mode off in settings the truck will not go into aero mode automatically,but will still go in to aero mode if you select it manually by pushing the button. Also, just so you know the aero mode setting will only take effect with the truck at idle with motor running in PARK.

Joe's post above was dead accurate of the issues some Trucks had and has.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The aero mode in the settings only turns aero off automatically,it has no effect of the truck staying in aero mode. If you push button for the truck to go to aero mode it will no matter what the "Settings" is at and as soon as you go below 15 MPH the truck will return to default Normal mode. If you turn aero mode off in settings the truck will not go into aero mode automatically,but will still go in to aero mode if you select it manually by pushing the button. Also, just so you know the aero mode setting will only take effect with the truck at idle with motor running in PARK.

I'm pretty sure if I use the toggle switch to put my truck in Aero mode manually (for example, when the engine is running and I am not moving), it will stay in Aero mode, no matter what speed I go. E.g. I can then drive at 70 MPH for a while, then come to a stop, and it will stay in Aero mode the whole time. I have tested that in the past and verified it. But, I have not tested it recently, so who knows if I have gotten some update from the dealer or OTA that might have changed that behavior.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I manually select Aero, it will stay in Aero. If I have the truck in Normal, the 'Auto Aero' setting changes the ride height on the highway.

Once you figure out the quirks with Entry/Exit using the fob, it's really not a big deal.

Geobound

Reaction score
So in a perfect world, what setting should the air ride end up in when towing a RV?

I've towed mine a few times and I honestly can't say I've noticed what it goes to, but I have noticed in non trailer driving that the truck stays in aero pretty much the whole time?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I reconfirmed yesterday that this is not how my truck works.

I started the engine, toggled it down into Aero mode, then drove 3 hours, with speeds up to 80 mph. It stayed in Aero mode through several stops and restarts. Before I drove home, I toggled it back up to Normal Ride Height and it went back to going in and out of Aero mode automatically at highway speeds.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I reconfirmed yesterday that this is not how my truck works.

I started the engine, toggled it down into Aero mode, then drove 3 hours, with speeds up to 80 mph. It stayed in Aero mode through several stops and restarts. Before I drove home, I toggled it back up to Normal Ride Height and it went back to going in and out of Aero mode automatically at highway speeds.
This is what I’d expect when using the toggle to select Aero mode. The settings menu simply enables or disables the automatic drop from Normal to Aero mode at highway speeds and automatic return to Normal at lower speeds.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I’d expect when using the toggle to select Aero mode. The settings menu simply enables or disables the automatic drop from Normal to Aero mode at highway speeds and automatic return to Normal at lower speeds.

Agreed. I was just making the point that this is wrong:

If you push button for the truck to go to aero mode it will no matter what the "Settings" is at and as soon as you go below 15 MPH the truck will return to default Normal mode.

At least, that is not how my truck works.

Users who are viewing this thread