5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Ride system

Mrjayd

Reaction score
Been doing a lot of reading about this and have a question. I understand this adjusts automatically but is there any way of forcing this in a certain setting. I like to be high to see over traffic so can it be forced to stay all the way up when driving on the freeway at freeway speeds? And when it is all the way down for easy access, what’s the need for the running boards to step in when it is so low?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The answer to your second question is that some of us have a disability that makes stepping in even at Entry/Exit a bit of a stretch. Getting old can be a ***** and all of those sports/life's injuries and performing your own stunts can come back to haunt you.

The answer to the first question is that I'm not sure. If you don't enable the Auto Aero mode feature, the truck will likely stay in the setting that you select, but if the mfr. has determined that the higher center of gravity at highway speed is a liability, the truck could lower. I haven't tried it. I find that the normal setting allows me to see over most traffic already. A couple of inches more in elevation won't make a huge difference.

RenoRam

Reaction score
The way I understand the system, you can manually select which level to start but vehicle speed will dictate the system changing levels. For example OR1 to NRH will occur automatically if you exceed 40 - 50 mph for longer than 20 seconds or exceed 50 mph.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The way I understand the system, you can manually select which level to start but vehicle speed will dictate the system changing levels. For example OR1 to NRH will occur automatically if you exceed 40 - 50 mph for longer than 20 seconds or exceed 50 mph.

This is correct.... the only setting it will stay in from stop to highway speeds is Aero Mode.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The answer to your second question is that some of us have a disability that makes stepping in even at Entry/Exit a bit of a stretch. Getting old can be a ***** and all of those sports/life's injuries and performing your own stunts can come back to haunt you.

The answer to the first question is that I'm not sure. If you don't enable the Auto Aero mode feature, the truck will likely stay in the setting that you select, but if the mfr. has determined that the higher center of gravity at highway speed is a liability, the truck could lower. I haven't tried it. I find that the normal setting allows me to see over most traffic already. A couple of inches more in elevation won't make a huge difference.
I agree. I think the normal mode is fine for visibility...

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plus ride gets stiffer at higher settings.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

S

Smashy71

If you want it to stay in any mode at any speed just select the mode you want pop the hood and remove the fuse. It will set off warning lights but it works.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove a Limited and it never came out of Entry/Exit, even at 75+ on the interstate. I haven't seen that with mine, but I also have the Auto Aero mode enabled.

S

Smashy71

I test drove a Limited and it never came out of Entry/Exit, even at 75+ on the interstate. I haven't seen that with mine, but I also have the Auto Aero mode enabled.

Low.....ride.....errrr.

Horkn

Reaction score
Entry/Exit at 75 mph would make for a hell of a ride and would you would probably need to see your dentist and chiropractor immediately afterwards.

I've done that by forcing my Audi's air suspension into lower than the lowest factory setting. There's programming that can do it on my car, surely one will come up with a programmer to set the suspension at a particular ride height.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, I don't believe the suspension is actually bottomed out for Entry/Exit.

mjw930

Reaction score
I’ve noticed that sometimes, most often when you use remote start, it won’t raise automatically. You can raise it by bumping the setting switch and it works normally from then on. Most likely a glitch in the programming but you can always raise it from entry/exit with the switch so it’s more of an anoynance that a problem and it’s only
FWIW, I don't believe the suspension is actually bottomed out for Entry/Exit.
Take a look under the truck in entry/exit mode, the rear axle is pretty much touching the bump stops. There might be a 1/16” between them, I didn’t bother to measure but for all intents and purposes it’s bottomed out.

S

Smashy71

I’ve noticed that sometimes, most often when you use remote start, it won’t raise automatically. You can raise it by bumping the setting switch and it works normally from then on. Most likely a glitch in the programming but you can always raise it from entry/exit with the switch so it’s more of an anoynance that a problem and it’s only

Take a look under the truck in entry/exit mode, the rear axle is pretty much touching the bump stops. There might be a 1/16” between them, I didn’t bother to measure but for all intents and purposes it’s bottomed out.

That’s what she said.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Entry / Exit mode is all but bottomed out on the stops, it's definitely programmed for under 15mph for a reason, and if anyone is having issues with it I would get their truck to a dealer asap, and make sure to manually select the ride height in the mean time.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I noticed this morning. I put the truck in Entry/Exit last night to jump up and down on it. When I remote started this morning the truck didn't rise from Entry/Exit even up to 50+ MPH. I manually adjusted the height. Something about remote start seems to confuse the auto ride height (Heads up @RamCares , this is an undesirable "feature"/bug).

If it is bottomed, the jounce bumpers have quite a bit of give.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OR changes to Normal at ~16 mph, at least on trucks with the Off Road Group.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For us guys (and gals) without the OR group, our OR2 is equal to your OR1, so for us, OR2 lowers at 15 mph. On OR group trucks, NRH is the same as our OR1.
Exactly. And Aero can be disabled in UConnect for anyone that doesn’t want the truck to lower automatically at highway speed.

Users who are viewing this thread