5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air ride suspension... or not???

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The difference in ride between my 2020 Laramie w/o air suspension and my wife's 2020 Limited w/air suspension is negligible. Both have 20 inch A/T tires. Air suspension issues were the main reason I traded in the 2017 Rebel I had (all Rebels based on the 4th gen 1500's have air suspension). I know that they supposedly redesigned the system for 5th gens, but I preferred to have the conventional suspension on my daily driver.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
We’ve seen few, if any, air ride failures due to temps on the 5th-gens. I know it’s only been three years, but they have a good record with the redesign so far.
I live in Ontario and have the air suspension in my 2020 Rebel. Absolutely NO problems and we have some very cold weather this winter. A buddy has a 2020 Sport with air suspension and power running boards.. Absolutely NO problems with either.
Like any option on any vehicle, some people have issues but that doesn't mean it's a bad option. Far more people don't have any issues that those who do.
I Absolutely love the air ride and would definitely buy again

This is awesome to hear. Glad it's worked out for the majority of people here so far.

I just listed something to think about when considering it for yourself. Living in Alberta and the NWT most of my life its a very common issue for a lot people. Again, depends on the use as well but the majority of people I've talked to/heard about have issues with air ride across multiple platforms, not just RAM's.

I'm not at all against air ride suspension to be clear, I actually would love it myself but with my added reasons I opted for one without for this truck. I'm not raggin on anyone that wants or is considering it, but I also don't think it's right to minimize or flat out completely dismiss it as a real issue (at least for extreme cold environments) which is why I figured I'd chime in.

Side note: A coworker of mine just bought a 2021 Limited with air. It's towards the end of winter for us now (although we got snow today) but if I remember this thread I'll be sure to update if (hopefully not) it fails/has issues.

To end off my thoughts here, I agree you shouldn't base your purchase of a truck entirely off what COULD happen. But it's good to be informed of them regardless. Information is your friend.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
This was mentioned earlier but I think it needs a little more attention. It's awesome when washing the truck or loading. I live in northeast NV and see sub-zero temps every winter. Never had a problem on my 14, just ordered a new truck with air. My account manager has a 16 with air and has broken the mounts of the air compressor, and had to replace them. He also has 275K miles on that truck and spends a lot of time driving down mine roads in the desert. Being able to raise the truck, hose off the wheel wells and and then lower for the windows etc is a really nice feature. I think you can't really go wrong either way, get what you are most happy with.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This was mentioned earlier but I think it needs a little more attention. It's awesome when washing the truck or loading. I live in northeast NV and see sub-zero temps every winter. Never had a problem on my 14, just ordered a new truck with air. My account manager has a 16 with air and has broken the mounts of the air compressor, and had to replace them. He also has 275K miles on that truck and spends a lot of time driving down mine roads in the desert. Being able to raise the truck, hose off the wheel wells and and then lower for the windows etc is a really nice feature. I think you can't really go wrong either way, get what you are most happy with.

Oil changes too

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
PREFERRED THE AIR RIDE AS WELL WHEN TEST DRIVING SO WENT THAT ROUTE BUT CANT GO WRONG EITHER WAY..

Ilya23

Reaction score
What you are describing is entirely normal for pickup trucks - they all ride better with weight in the bed. They were designed to carry loads and tow heavy trailers, so the rear suspensions HAVE to be stiffer than a sedan's.

That said, you should check your tire pressures. If you're not carrying a load at the moment, you don't need the rear tires inflated too high. Many people keep their rear tires at the lower end of the recommended inflation range, then increase air pressure in the rear tires only while they are carrying cargo or towing.

Go drive an older truck with leaf-spring rear suspension, and no load in the bed, then get back in your new Ram. You will realize how comfortably the late-model Rams ride compared to most pickup trucks. Regardless, don't ever compare a sedan to a pickup, that's apples to oranges, not an appropriate or valid comparison.
Thank you very much for detailed answer. Now I know this is not just me and nothing wrong with my suspension 🙂 I did decreased air pressure on rear wheels and definately feels much better now and not that bumpy anymore. Thank you!!

DPhillips78

Reaction score
Thank you very much for detailed answer. Now I know this is not just me and nothing wrong with my suspension 🙂 I did decreased air pressure on rear wheels and definately feels much better now and not that bumpy anymore. Thank you!!
How did you decrease the air pressure on the rear wheels?

Funky4me2

Reaction score
Air suspension was a must for me.

Yes I’m concerned about longevity/reliability which is why I bought a 8yr/ 100k MaxCare policy
Does that policy cover air shocks? I have not been able to find a policy that does. I have a 2021 Ram Limited.. I have looked at the policies. It would be nice to find one. Last extended care policy I had a lot of exclusions in fine print. I was surprised when I really dug deep and they told me paragraph and verbiage in their 10 page policy description. I had purchased the policy from the dealer too! Who sells the Max care policy? Also, one of the things that surprised me was an exclusion for diesel engines and diesel SCR systems varied by what State I was in.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does that policy cover air shocks? I have not been able to find a policy that does. I have a 2021 Ram Limited.. I have looked at the policies. It would be nice to find one. Last extended care policy I had a lot of exclusions in fine print. I was surprised when I really dug deep and they told me paragraph and verbiage in their 10 page policy description. I had purchased the policy from the dealer too! Who sells the Max care policy? Also, one of the things that surprised me was an exclusion for diesel engines and diesel SCR systems varied by what State I was in.
Clay Robbins
[email protected]
785-789-3940

9C10FB5B-55BA-438E-A8B2-EB76664A4B32.png

jcjohn

Reaction score
I owned a 2015 4th Gen Laramie EcoDiesel with air ride. I put over 75k miles on it in Iowa and it gets damn cold here... I never had issue one with the air suspension, and the benefits of being able to adjust ride height and most importantly auto leveling trailers/boats made getting air ride a requirement when I traded for my '19. My truck has 60k and no issues with air ride, and it was really handy when I swapped out my factory muffler for the MBRP replacement. Jacked it up, slid under, and job complete in about 45 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread