5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air ride suspension... or not???

JJSJ

Reaction score
Hello all... I just finished test driving a 2019 longhorn 1500 without air suspension. I also test drove a 2019 limited with air suspension. Both trucks had the 22's. Call me crazy, but the longhorn was a much smoother ride. Now I'm undecided on air suspension option. It was one of the main reasons I wanted the truck.

Anyone have opinions one way or another? Likes, dislikes with the air ride?

Last edited:

CompuDav

Reaction score
Following. I got the regular suspension but didn’t test drive an air one. I’ve been wondering if I made the right decision given that it seems like it would be more comfortable so I’m curious on opinions...

Jackham

Reaction score
Hello all... I just finished test driving a 2019 longhorn 1500 without air suspension. I also test drove a 2019 limited with air suspension. Both trucks had the 22's. Call me crazy, but the longhorn was a much smoother ride. Now I'm undecided on air suspension option. It was one of the main reasons I wanted the truck.

Anyone have opinions one any or another? Likes, dislikes with the air ride?
22s are a problem unto themselves if ride is important.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
I have the Limited and test drove both the Limited and the Longhorn and perfered the air ride.. It did seem smother. If you plan on lifting or leveling it the options are very limited (at this point basically none except links) on the air suspension , so that might play into your decision.

DWWillms

Reaction score
I don't know rim size, but my Limited's suspension was much better than the 2019 Ram 1500 loaner my dealer gave me while having my recalls done. It's much quieter too, but I don't know if they had different tires, etc...

JJSJ

Reaction score
I was kind of disappointed in the ride of the air suspension. The limited felt more tire related than suspension. I dont plan on doing a lift or leveling, so would really prefer the air ride. I'm coming out of a 2017 sierra denali ultimate with major shaking/vibrating issues. When I tested the limited, the ride quality wasn't far off from my denali. But that longhorn rode like butter, so I'm torn.....

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is a possibility and also check the tire pressure...sometimes the dealers or factory set them waaay too high!

Webbd30

Reaction score
Agree, if you don’t want a ridiculous lift, Air ride is the way to go all day for comfort.

I personally have air ride with the off road group and I’m 6,5. It’s plenty tall enough for a guy like me. I still have to jump in when at normal height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JJSJ

Reaction score
Points well taken..I didnt even think about tire pressure. The dealer didnt have a longhorn with the air ride in stock. After they locate one, I'll have to go back and drive it to see how it feels.

Dtey150

Reaction score

Anyone have opinions one way or another? Likes, dislikes with the air ride?
I purchased a 2019 Ram Rebel w/air suspension. In the aero zone its a little bumpy but in the NRH mode its very smooth

pwhfmtx

Reaction score
We test drove both and extended drove a non air. Bought and air and no regrets. Felt more lean and bounce in the standard suspension. The air is excellent. Also like that it helps towing level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gtbrown

Reaction score
My Limited is my first experience with Air Suspension, and I am really enjoying it. I also have an older 2007 Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4 and always thought it was a very good riding truck. Not so much anymore....

Turin

Reaction score
When I was doing test drives I drove two trucks with air suspension and one without. Both of the trucks with air seemed to ride a bit rougher. All had 20" wheels (no 22s). I didn't check tires pressures.

My best guess is that the air feeling rougher rather than smoother was due to temperature. It was fairly cold the day I did my test drives; maybe that made the bags stiffer.

In the end, I decided to pass on the air suspension (and stick with the standard 18" wheels). I have no complaints about the ride. It soaks up rough roads beautifully.

JJSJ

Reaction score
We test drove both and extended drove a non air. Bought and air and no regrets. Felt more lean and bounce in the standard suspension. The air is excellent. Also like that it helps towing level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJSJ

Reaction score
I'm in New Hampshire where it gets pretty damn cold in winter. I'd rather not have a truck that rides rough because it's cold out. Especially with that price tag!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/