5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Lift 5000 Airbags on a Rebel

Tommy R

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Last week I installed a set of Air Lift 5000 Ultimate air bags on my Rebel. This is the kit I purchased, along with the wireless remote that can fill each bag individually:
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/88375/
88375_v0_1536243341.jpg

I noticed two issues with the kit. Let me explain......

First of all, the PN listed in the manual for the bags is different. Ignore that. The PN in the manual is for the "kit" of two bags. This is the PN you want to see on your bags:
IMG_4092-L.jpg

FYI, the install isn't as simple as their install video makes it seem. Cutting off the upper bumpstop mounts was very tight, but a die grinder did the trick. I cut off one side and was able to bend/pry the upper mount off without too much hassle. The rest of the install went smoothly except for one thing....it was here I ran into my first problem. On the driver's side, the lower Air Lift bracket mounts to the axle's bumpstop pad. Well, one of the holes lined up....the inner one. Here's a pic:
IMG_4113-L.jpg

And the rear bracket "tangs" were properly placed, as well:
IMG_4114-L.jpg

The problem was that the holes didn't line up for the bolt on the outside of the bracket. Here's a view from the top. The slot is where the carriage bolt is supposed to go. The yellow image that I so cleverly added is approximately where the slot would need to be in order to work with my truck:
IMG_4111-XL-L.jpg

It's tough to really see it, but this is where the slot should be located. This is looking up from the bottom through the axle's lower control arm bracket.
IMG_4112-XL.jpg

And another shot where the problem lies:
88375_v1_1536243342-L.jpg

Air Lift did not know this (nor did I), but evidently the bump stop pads on the axle are a bit different on a Rebel compared to a non-Rebel. They told me it would be just fine running only the 1 bolt, but that doesn't sit too well with me. I bought a long drill bit and will try to add the 2nd bolt before I tow with it. So that's issue #1.

I noticed issue #2 after a couple days of driving. I only run 5-8 psi in the bags under normal driving conditions. 5 psi is the minimum the controller will allow you to run, FYI. What I've noticed is that the truck bottoms out more easily now. I have some large speed bumps near my house I frequently drive over. At a given speed the truck would just soak them up nicely. Now, however, the truck will bottom the rear coming down from the speed bumps. My guess is that the bumpstop in the air bags is quite a bit taller than the OEM bumpstop. Maybe this is isolated to the Rebel? Maybe it's all 5th Gen Rams? I don't know. But Air Lift offered to send me brand new air bags without the integrated bump stop to try out. I took them up on the offer.

That's all I have to say for now. I'll update once I get around to installing the 2nd bolt and if I decide to install the air bags with no bumpstops. I'm concerned about running no bumpstops consider I actually plan to take this thing offroad so not sure what I'll do about that. But I wanted to take them up on the offer of free bags just in case.

Thanks,
Tommy

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for a thorough writeup!

I have a rebel (with Air susp. however), but can appreciate the work that goes into installing bags as I've used AirLift on other cars in the past - good to hear their customer service is still sounding good despite the issues!

RichT

Reaction score
Yes, thanks a bunch for the write up, I've been considering these as well and am looking forward to hearing more.

Did AirLift mention if they planned a revision, or are they running with the (lol) one bolt theory?

Tommy R

Reaction score
You're welcome, fellas. Happy to help. Air Lift did not say if they were making any revisions. It would be easy, though. They'd just need to add a second slot in their bracket. What I'd do (in hindsight) is lay out the lower mount, mark where the hole will need to be on the AL bracket, and then drill it before installing. Would be easy peasy that way. I don't really care to uninstall everything so I'll likely just use the long bit and hope it'll reach. I'd rather not live with the "one bolt" method, either. :) But it would likely be fine, in all honesty, since the pad takes the vertical load and I don't think the fore/aft forces would be all that great.

Tommy R

Reaction score
All in for the bags, compressor, controller, etc. it was about $750 (free shipping) from JC Whitney. Best price I've seen online.

Scjon03

Reaction score
I know this post is old but I guess this is good info. I have a ORP Ram and was wondering if the Air Lift 5000 would work. So if it worked on a Rebel it should work on the ORP Ram. Hopefully it work with a 1" rear spacer installed, if not I'll remove it.

upwindstorm

Reaction score
Awesome post! I recently purchased a Laramie with these installed on the rear with the auto level system. Will be needing it as camping season is coming up. From what i see the coil spring rear ends on these squat fairly easily.

Tommy R

Reaction score
I've got an overdue update for y'all. So one thing I noticed shortly after I installed the airbag setup is that the truck felt like it was bottoming out very easily when the bags were fully deflated to their minimum pressure of 5 psi. I often keep 15-25 psi in the bags so the bottoming didn't get noticed often. I reached out to Air Lift about the problem and they offered to send me another set of airbags. This second set does NOT have internal bumpstops like the first set. The rep from Air Lift thinks that's what the issue is, i.e. the internal bumpstop is too tall. I received the bags, but they've been sitting in their box for quite some time.

Fast forward to the other day when, after a long mountain bike race, I let my friends drive me home while I rode in the backseat of my truck. The bottoming out of the rear suspension was MUCH more noticeable and I decided that I needed to swap those airbags ASAP! Below are some of my findings....

Here is the original airbag compressed until the bumpstop begins to engage. Roughly 4.5".
i-D5H6wr5-X2.jpg

Continuing to compress the bag and it'll squeeze the bumpstop until it reaches a fully compressed height of roughly 3".
i-gHMX6Gk-X2.jpg

Here's the new air bag (without internal bumpstop), which compresses to the same 3" as the original, but it does so without first compressing the bumpstop.
i-tvpzvLd-X2.jpg

So how does the truck ride now? Well, it's much better now! If I run at the minimum 5 psi I'll occasionally feel the suspension bottom in the rear. Yes, it's still annoying, but it's so much better than before. I suspect the issue is that the upper and lower brackets of the Air Lift system are simply too tall. If those could be reduced, it would increase the available bump travel quite a bit. For now I'm reasonably content, but for the money I'm disappointed Air Lift didn't do a better job on this.

Incidentally, when I returned to Air Lift's site and reviewed the install instructions, I noticed that they are now putting two slots on one of the lower brackets.
i-rpJhxrB-Th.jpg

Gee, I wonder how they found out about that! ;)
i-vF4t5V2-L.jpg

Essbaum

Reaction score
I know this post is old but I guess this is good info. I have a ORP Ram and was wondering if the Air Lift 5000 would work. So if it worked on a Rebel it should work on the ORP Ram. Hopefully it work with a 1" rear spacer installed, if not I'll remove it.
Ok, this is pulling up a really old post but I have the same question as scjon03. I have this installed on a non orp Laramie and would like to add a 1 inch spacer. Does anyone know if this accommodates?

Scjon03

Reaction score
Ok, this is pulling up a really old post but I have the same question as scjon03. I have this installed on a non orp Laramie and would like to add a 1 inch spacer. Does anyone know if this accommodates?

yes it would worked. I traded the truck in a long time ago but my Off road package truck I did add the 1” spacer for the rear with the bags For you without the ORP. You be fine adding a spacer and the bags

Tommy R

Reaction score
I've got a bit of an update on the Airlift 5000 airbags again. I again got tired of the bottoming out when running the minimum 5 psi. Simply put, the compressed height of the airbags are too tall and limit bump travel. And it sucks. I can add more pressure, but then it rides really poorly. I opted to put a 1" spring spacer in the rear in order to give the rear suspension a bit more travel before the bags fully compress.

Again, it's better, but still not acceptable. I'm really frustrated with this and am now looking to get rid of the 5000s altogether. I may opt for a bag that fits within the coils (like the 1000 bags) instead of the 5000s. The 1000s should be okay for my needs. It sucks that I would need to pay for them since the first bags I bought SHOULD have worked properly. And of course now I'll have to weld back the OEM bumpstops that I cut off when I did the install.

As of now, I don't know what solution I'll pursue, but I absolutely would not recommend Airlift if you like the stock ride of your truck.

More updates coming...
Tommy

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a bit of an update on the Airlift 5000 airbags again. I again got tired of the bottoming out when running the minimum 5 psi. Simply put, the compressed height of the airbags are too tall and limit bump travel. And it sucks. I can add more pressure, but then it rides really poorly. I opted to put a 1" spring spacer in the rear in order to give the rear suspension a bit more travel before the bags fully compress.

Again, it's better, but still not acceptable. I'm really frustrated with this and am now looking to get rid of the 5000s altogether. I may opt for a bag that fits within the coils (like the 1000 bags) instead of the 5000s. The 1000s should be okay for my needs. It sucks that I would need to pay for them since the first bags I bought SHOULD have worked properly. And of course now I'll have to weld back the OEM bumpstops that I cut off when I did the install.

As of now, I don't know what solution I'll pursue, but I absolutely would not recommend Airlift if you like the stock ride of your truck.

More updates coming...
dam im interested in geting this kit also i have a rebel and its lifted a extra inch so i guess two inchs above a stock ram wonder if i would bottom out even tho my springs are taller and higher weight

Tommy R

Reaction score
Yep, because my Rebel is also lifted an additional inch from stock.

DSN46

Reaction score

More updates coming...
Tommy
I had the Airlift 1000's in my Excursion when I towed a 35 foot RV. They made a huge difference and when aired down to minimum psi, I couldn't tell they were back there. I liked them. Just my thoughts on the subject. Good luck and I hope you get this sorted out soon.

Essbaum

Reaction score

More updates coming...
Tommy
Man, sorry to hear about your unresolved issues. I have the 5000 and have not bottomed out at all with stock Laramie NON-ORP rear end. At least not that I have ever felt or noticed. And I never even installed my 1 inch spacer after my level like I was going to.

I wonder if there is more different between the 2 suspensions than just the springs, but doesn't seem likely.

Good luck with whatever you try next.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Wow, that's really iteresting! And I'm quite jealous. There's definitely something structurally different with the Rebel as AirLift's mounting plates had to be modified to accommodate it. But I have no idea what all the differences are... Maybe something is different that somehow reduces my bump travel compared to a non-Rebel? I really don't know, but soon I plan to simply remove the bags altogether to compare the ride quality before/after.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
maybe we can get pics of rebels vs non rebel mounting brackets and compare

Essbaum

Reaction score
one quick note, I do not know if I have the internal bump stops or not. It was installed by the previous owner.

Users who are viewing this thread