5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air filter and mpg

Cupped_up

Reaction score
21’ bighorn 5.7L, 27K miles

I recently decided to change my air filter and ordered the AEM dry filter after seeing many users recommend it.

While It was in the process of shipping, I took my stock filter out to look at it (fairly clean actually), but knocked some fine dirt out of the filter in the garage floor. I vacuumed the inside of the air filter box that had a small about of dust/dirt etc and put the original filter back in until the new filter arrived.

I noticed immediately that i was getting worse MPG. Flat freeway at 65mph my “current mpg” was 16, when prior to checking filter it would be around 20 on that same stretch. Truck seemed “off”, but can’t pinpoint why. “Average” mpg also dropped slightly.

The new AEM dry filter came and I swapped in the new one. I’m still having a noticeable drop in MPGs compared to when I first checked the stock filter.

Is there any reason this could be happening? Did I install it wrong? I unscrewed the bolts, took the filter out, but new one in, closed box and tightened screws. The box appears to be shut completely.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose there’s a chance that the original filter wasn’t seated properly, and wasn’t restricting airflow at all. So you could have had better mileage but at the expense of ingesting whatever came into the air box.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damaged the carbon filter in the airbox lid? Or knocked the air sensor loose on the back side of the flexible inlet tube just above the throttle body? Or cracked the tube or broke the seal to the throttle body, letting it suck unmetered air? Random ideas...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Go buy some MAF cleaner, pull the MAF sensor out of the tube between the filter and engine, spray the sh!t out of the sensor with the cleaner, reinstall. You most likely got dirt/debris on your sensor and it's messing it up.
Or better yet, install a catch can lol.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Go buy some MAF cleaner, pull the MAF sensor out of the tube between the filter and engine, spray the sh!t out of the sensor with the cleaner, reinstall. You most likely got dirt/debris on your sensor and it's messing it up.
Dodge/Ram does NOT use MAF sensors. They never have. If you are going to give advice on Dodge/Ram vehicles, know the basics.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dodge/Ram does NOT use MAF sensors. They never have. If you are going to give advice on Dodge/Ram vehicles, know the basics.
What is the sensor in the airbox tube for?

Edit: Just looked it up. It’s a IAT sensor. (Intake Air Temperature)

ABDB65E2-0C7C-42C5-AD31-7CDD3884285C.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is the sensor in the airbox tube for?
Intake air temp (IAT)sensor. Part of the speed density system Dodge/Ram uses instead of MAF. Combine the IAT, MAP, and TPS sensors, and it calculates the airflow that way. It's actually a better system for tuning as you never have to replace a MAF for higher flow, just increase intake tubing size

Dewey

Reaction score
Intake air temp (IAT)sensor. Part of the speed density system Dodge/Ram uses instead of MAF. Combine the IAT, MAP, and TPS sensors, and it calculates the airflow that way. It's actually a better system for tuning as you never have to replace a MAF for higher flow, just increase intake tubing size
Yup. Just edited my post after I researched.

Dewey

Reaction score
Could it be possible the IAT sensor somehow got damaged or dirty causing it to read wrong and affect gas mileage?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Could it be possible the IAT sensor somehow got damaged or dirty causing it to read wrong and affect gas mileage?
No.

I drove with my sensor unplugged for a little bit because I forgot I never plugged it back in after changing air intake systems.

If the Ram had a MAF sensor (which it doesn't) it would of thrown an engine code to OP.

There is no way for us to know what OP did. Checking the air filter doesn't change the way the truck drives or it's MPG. Something else happened.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know, got rid of my posts. Knew it had a sensor that I swapped and cleaned when I installed the Vararam, but didn't pay attention enough to see that it wasn't an MAF.

RC Turner

Reaction score
I know that it would seem like a lot of coincidences but, it sounds like a gas issue if nothing else has changed. Put in a fill of the best gas you can find and see if that solves the issue. Around my home area you have you be very careful what you are buying as the alcohol content has been increased and mileage just gets worse as a result.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Damaged the carbon filter in the airbox lid? Or knocked the air sensor loose on the back side of the flexible inlet tube just above the throttle body? Or cracked the tube or broke the seal to the throttle body, letting it suck unmetered air? Random ideas...
Damaging the carbon filter will have no impact. Many of us just cut it out completely to remove the restriction.

Cupped_up

Reaction score
I know that it would seem like a lot of coincidences but, it sounds like a gas issue if nothing else has changed. Put in a fill of the best gas you can find and see if that solves the issue. Around my home area you have you be very careful what you are buying as the alcohol content has been increased and mileage just gets worse as a result.
This is a possibility. I filled up in the morning at half a tank and it ran fine back to my
House. checked the filter in the afternoon and it he truck started acting up.

While checking/changing the filter, I did nothing besides unscrew, open, remove, vacuum box, replace, close lid and screw in screws all the way. I didn’t touch the batter, didn’t mess with anything else. I’ll give it a few days and see how it goes and report back.

HARDWATERFLYER

Reaction score
Does the carbon filter ever need any special cleaning? Any problems after removing the carbon filter?

Users who are viewing this thread