5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air filter and mpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did something fall into the air intake pipe while it was open?
I removed mine. All it does is restrict airflow.
I removed mine too. I don't see how an air filter change would cause a drop in MPG unless there's way more restriction for some reason. Maybe the something fell into the intake tube while cleaning?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does the carbon filter ever need any special cleaning? Any problems after removing the carbon filter?
No it does not need any special cleaning. And as far as removing it, or it being restrictive, when I removed mine, I looked at it and realized there is no way that filter was restricting flow any more than the factory paper filter. Basically if air got through the actual air filters the carbon filter wasn't going to restrict it anymore. It's purely for emissions to absorb any fumes that may leak I to the intake, from PCV system after shut down

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Couple more long shots. Initially was going to keep them to myself, but life has taught me not to assume, so here they come and I apologize in advance. 🤷‍♂️ Did you... Stuff a rag in the tube to keep mice and insects out while vacuuming the box, and then forget about it? Neglect to remove the plastic wrapping from the new filter (if so packed)?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Couple more long shots. Initially was going to keep them to myself, but life has taught me not to assume, so here they come and I apologize in advance. 🤷‍♂️ Did you... Stuff a rag in the tube to keep mice and insects out while vacuuming the box, and then forget about it? Neglect to remove the plastic wrapping from the new filter (if so packed)?
I'm sure you don't want to offend someone, and hopefully your statement doesn't, but I agree, it wouldn't be the first time those things have happened. I watch "just rolled in" on youtube, and have seen it.

Dewey

Reaction score
I'm sure you don't want to offend someone, and hopefully your statement doesn't, but I agree, it wouldn't be the first time those things have happened. I watch "just rolled in" on youtube, and have seen it.
Those “just rolled in” videos are hilarious.😆

We should start a separate thread to post those. I can only imagine the crazy stuff many mechanics see daily.😲

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course I've never done anything like that. 😇

6of36

Reaction score
Those “just rolled in” videos are hilarious.😆

We should start a separate thread to post those. I can only imagine the crazy stuff many mechanics see daily.😲
I used to be a mechanic. Dealership didn't see much of it, but I also managed a muffler shop. At least one every two to three weeks. Michigan, no state required inspections. I've had them refuse repairs with the rotors in two pieces, and drive away.

jljbtm

Reaction score
You changed the air/fuel ratio (ave.14.7.1) By installing a clean"er" air filter your letting in more Air and a leaner air / fuel mix so you went from 16 to 20 mpg only until the computer noticed and once it notice its to lean it opens the fuel injectors to get back to 14.7.1
The same thing happens when you add or install a cold air intake (you can only FOOL the computer till you get to the end of the street.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You changed the air/fuel ratio (ave.14.7.1) By installing a clean"er" air filter your letting in more Air and a leaner air / fuel mix so you went from 16 to 20 mpg only until the computer noticed and once it notice its to lean it opens the fuel injectors to get back to 14.7.1
The same thing happens when you add or install a cold air intake (you can only FOOL the computer till you get to the end of the street.
Thats just not how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread