5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and just got back from 2 weeks in Central Florida. Having never had my truck anywhere near that hot an area I was a little concerned that I'd be sweating it, but truck performed no problem! Most of the time when I got in the truck the outside thermometer read 125 degrees on the dashboard, and once I started driving would drop down to about 98-99 degrees. I like things cold and within a few minutes the inside of the truck was tolerable and within 15 minutes I was turning the AC down a few notches. I never bothered opening the windows to let the hot air out, as it was virtually the same temperature outside as inside. I definitely used Max AC all the time to recirculate inside air as that is really the key to cooling down a space; just like in your house, you wouldn't introduce a constant stream of humid, outside air into your HVAC system; part of feeling cool is removing all the humidity, and no AC system running a constant stream of outdoor air can keep up with that. The truck has the added issue of a massive amount of cubic feet of air that has to be cooled and dehumidified compared to any car.

When I first got this truck I thought the AC didn't seem to perform as well as my Titan, but after owning it now for coming up on 4 years I think it's really about the same - the air doesn't start off feeling as cold as my Titan but the time it takes for the cabin to cool down is about the same.

Overall, how do you like the Ram over the Titan.
When its time, I am liking the Ram, but my wife wants me to go with another Titan.

GARebel19

Reaction score
Did you print the TSB and bring it with you?
I did not bring it but I mention it every time. The service advisor who called me after RamCares reached out to the dealer was clear on the TSB and said they would do it. Which is why I'm surprised to hear about the appointment to re-diagnose. I don't even know if they still have the parts to do it or if they sent them back.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I did not bring it but I mention it every time. The service advisor who called me after RamCares reached out to the dealer was clear on the TSB and said they would do it. Which is why I'm surprised to hear about the appointment to re-diagnose. I don't even know if they still have the parts to do it or if they sent them back.
Most probably they've sold the ordered parts to a person with expired basic warranty, don't worry ;)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I printed the TSB, and wrote the left and right temps on it. Then gave it to the service manager in person.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I heard back from the dealer today because I asked if they even still had the parts for the TSB. She said they were missing 1 part and it was ordered but won't come in for a couple of weeks. I thought the parts were sold as a kit? My appointment has been re-scheduled until the end of the month now.

U

User_3336

I heard back from the dealer today because I asked if they even still had the parts for the TSB. She said they were missing 1 part and it was ordered but won't come in for a couple of weeks. I thought the parts were sold as a kit? My appointment has been re-scheduled until the end of the month now.
They are just stalling you, imo.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Overall, how do you like the Ram over the Titan.
When its time, I am liking the Ram, but my wife wants me to go with another Titan.
I loved the Titan. It was a full size truck but drove like a car. I loved the drivetrain on that truck. I didn't like the new body style and none of the dealers wanted to deal. Overall the Ram is way higher quality. The Titan interior plastic was **** and the truck was nowhere near as refined as the Ram. It was a little easier to drive day to day because it was easier to get into parking spaces, etc. But really apples to apples there's no competition - the Ram is way ahead in terms of quality and ride. Nissan doesn't put any money or effort into research and design on the Titan. It was almost merged with Ram and then almost cancelled. Nissan only keeps it alive so they can claim to be players.

U

User_3336

I loved the Titan. It was a full size truck but drove like a car. I loved the drivetrain on that truck. I didn't like the new body style and none of the dealers wanted to deal. Overall the Ram is way higher quality. The Titan interior plastic was **** and the truck was nowhere near as refined as the Ram. It was a little easier to drive day to day because it was easier to get into parking spaces, etc. But really apples to apples there's no competition - the Ram is way ahead in terms of quality and ride. Nissan doesn't put any money or effort into research and design on the Titan. It was almost merged with Ram and then almost cancelled. Nissan only keeps it alive so they can claim to be players.
STRANGE . . . I had a 2021 Titan before I took ownership of this RAM I have now, and I thought it was a good truck. I had no complaints about the Titan interior. Mine was an SV, and the comfort level was equal to the RAM, and the dash was padded vs pure plastic in the RAM.
Not sure of your comparison of how a Titan was "easier to drive day to day" because its basically the same size of the RAM. the are both BIG trucks!
On the flipsise, I do l RAM's Uconnect5 over Nissans "whatever its called infotainment center".

Synergy26

Reaction score
Does the hack help at all on trucks that are 21 and newer or have the TSB done? It didn't seem to cool mine off more at all clamping the hose down.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does the hack help at all on trucks that are 21 and newer or have the TSB done? It didn't seem to cool mine off more at all clamping the hose down.
2021 and newer should already have the redesign. You must have a different issue like low refrigerant

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
STRANGE . . . I had a 2021 Titan before I took ownership of this RAM I have now, and I thought it was a good truck. I had no complaints about the Titan interior. Mine was an SV, and the comfort level was equal to the RAM, and the dash was padded vs pure plastic in the RAM.
Not sure of your comparison of how a Titan was "easier to drive day to day" because its basically the same size of the RAM. the are both BIG trucks!
On the flipsise, I do l RAM's Uconnect5 over Nissans "whatever its called infotainment center".
what the heck? My RAM dash pad is LEATHER, not "pure plastic", not to mention the REAL wood....lol I'll take a RAM Limited interior over anything Nissan has...

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Titan was a 2004 model. First generation. Yes the newer models are nice inside just like the Ram. The first gen Titan drives much smaller than the 5th gen Ram. I'm pretty sure I would know since I drove the Titan for 15 years and now I'm on this Ram for almost 4.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Titan was a 2004 model. First generation. Yes the newer models are nice inside just like the Ram. The first gen Titan drives much smaller than the 5th gen Ram. I'm pretty sure I would know since I drove the Titan for 15 years and now I'm on this Ram for almost 4.
ok..."pretty sure I would know"? Know what? I'm not commenting on anything except your description of the RAM interior. the RAM Limited interior in my opinion is top of the line.....and...I should know! lol...

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the Titan vs Ram.
The Ram Limited doesn't interest me.
Originally planned to go with a Big Horn but the 360 camera is only on option for the Laramie and higher.
The Laramie would be the highest I would go.
For the Titan, I would have to get the Platinum for the 360 camera, but not a fan of their only 1 available interior color of brown.
For a better comparison it would more than likely be the SV with the Titan and only slight chance for the Platinum.
For the Ram, it most likely be the Laramie with slight chance of Big Horn.
Yeah, both are big, but the Ram is longer by an inch or two or three which is a lot to an already big vehicle.

U

User_3336

Well, you didn't state in the original comment it was a 2004 . . . . I'm PRETTY SURE you didn't! LOL

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Heat index 105 today. Sun was blazing my truck for 9 hours in the parking lot. Took a good 20 mins to cool down to comfortable. Makes me want to put the hack back on to see if it will help for these heat waves. I wish the blower was a little stronger too

Synergy26

Reaction score
Thank you for providing that mod. I saw that thread and appreciate it :)

I guess that will be my next approach. The service dept is changing a A/C line and the expansion valve right now but I do not think will improve the A/C temp. I will get my truck back at the end of the week.

I have already purchased the clamps from HF was just a little worried about the impact of shutting that line off.
Did the new expansion valve fix the issue? Mine is hissing while driving and the ac is on. It sound like the pressure is equalizing whenever the ac compressor kicks off. It's annoying and didn't used to do it

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Asked dealership to follow TSB 24-001-20 and fix the issue with poor AC performance. They did some measurements and couldn't find any issued to get authorization for 5 hours of work and a lot of new parts. It is 45 degrees outside, so yes, hard to say that AC performance is poor.
The problem is - when it finally will become hot outside and AC will be needed, my truck may be out of warranty...

Users who are viewing this thread