5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since the AC control design incorporates the Power Train Control Module, I believe software changes require federal testing and certification.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035838 miles.
no testing/certification needed for just a software update. FCA can do one same as any of the other ones they've already done through Uconnect. Federal register

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Technically, it's not false. The system will cool the cab quicker and more efficiently in their method. The trade-off is you start off in a hot car.

Technically it is as they state to not waste your time and gas.

It's my time and gas to waste...and I want to enter the truck when it has cooled down. (y)

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't recirculate? I'm not sure about that one, when I recirculate in any car, it seems cooler.

As for my RAM, was in 100F recently inland, and it was just fine. In fact, I turned up the temp to 67F because I was honestly getting chilly in the truck. And trust me, I'm a big guy and very sensitive to high heat and humidity.
I’m a recirculator too, SD. Makes sense that only having to cool moderate interior air, instead of hot ambient air, would be easier on the system and maybe provide cooler vent temps.

meandzen77

Reaction score
This is my biggest gripe with my new Big Horn. The air temp on max recirculated air is far from the coldest conditioned air I’ve had in a vehicle. It just takes longer to cool down the crew cab. I’m guessing no lower than 50 degrees at its best. It ain’t horrible but it’s far from the best.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
This is my biggest gripe with my new Big Horn. The air temp on max recirculated air is far from the coldest conditioned air I’ve had in a vehicle. It just takes longer to cool down the crew cab. I’m guessing no lower than 50 degrees at its best. It ain’t horrible but it’s far from the best.
Try the clamp solution. Less than $10 and works like a charm. Search AC hack.

ac1dd

Reaction score
I’m a recirculator too, SD. Makes sense that only having to cool moderate interior air, instead of hot ambient air, would be easier on the system and maybe provide cooler vent temps.

Once the heat soak is gone, recirculate is always the best way to go for the coolest interior. The only down side to recirc air is it can become stale, and also the oxygen level might be a bit lower than using fresh air, but usually this is insignificant most of the time. It is always advisable to occasionally switch off recirc after 30 minutes or so to allow some fresh air into the cabin.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I lived in the Philippines for some time, it's very hot there. So hot, that our Ford Expedition A/C temperature control had no heat setting. That's right, there was no orange or red in the dial, just straight blue all the way around, just cold and colder were your only options for temperature.

I can tell you that recirc even after getting into a hot vehicle was the fastest way to get it cold.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Per a post from Ramcares on the HD sister site forum, a new part is being designed to fix the issue. I assume it's the same issue for both the 1500s and HDs; if that's the case, there will likely be a recall for this in the future.

Run91

Reaction score
Test drove a 2020 1500 Laramie 4x4 ED.
and besides the horrendous turbo lag the one thing i noticed is the AC is extremely lacking.
living in socal it would be very foolish to spend 60k on a truck that doesn't cool properly

hopefully they can get that fixed soon. shouldn't be an issue

Cal3600

Reaction score
Once the heat soak is gone, recirculate is always the best way to go for the coolest interior. The only down side to recirc air is it can become stale, and also the oxygen level might be a bit lower than using fresh air, but usually this is insignificant most of the time. It is always advisable to occasionally switch off recirc after 30 minutes or so to allow some fresh air into the cabin.
FYI you can just leave recirc on, it is definitely the best way to get the lowest temps (I get 44 with it on, 56 with it off). It will automatically open every 25 mins or so to ensure there's appropriate oxygen/fresh air. You can hear it.. I thought I was losing my mind but it was the vent (luckily saw another post on this here). You can also smell the change in humidity when you hear it open.

Zogg44

Reaction score
FYI you can just leave recirc on, it is definitely the best way to get the lowest temps (I get 44 with it on, 56 with it off). It will automatically open every 25 mins or so to ensure there's appropriate oxygen/fresh air. You can hear it.. I thought I was losing my mind but it was the vent (luckily saw another post on this here). You can also smell the change in humidity when you hear it open.

THANK YOU for posting this! I have experienced this too and thought the system was acting up when I could smell exhaust fumes. Now I know how the truck works and that I'm not crazy!

Calsun

Reaction score
Ram undersized the AC unit. I will be checking to see if the part number changes for 2020 and 2021 before I buy a new Ram 1500. I have driven my other cars and trucks in 115 degree weather and the AC units were more than able to keep the interior at 68 degrees.

With my first SUV I quickly found that it was a greenhouse on wheels with all the glass and I needed to get it tinted to endure the Dallas summers. Tinting shops were very common in Dallas and I would expect the same in Phoenix and Las Vegas. I had a moon roof on my Mercedes coupe but never used it as it made the car uncomfortable to drive in hot weather.

The Critic

Reaction score
Per a post from Ramcares on the HD sister site forum, a new part is being designed to fix the issue. I assume it's the same issue for both the 1500s and HDs; if that's the case, there will likely be a recall for this in the future.
Correct:

With that said, my 2020 Bighorn with a 03/2020 production date has A/C that works fine. It works fine, but not incredible.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Correct:

With that said, my 2020 Bighorn with a 03/2020 production date has A/C that works fine. It works fine, but not incredible.

"Fine" is a relative word.

How about using a cheap probe thermometer and lets see some vent temps in 90 F + heat.
Thanks

The Critic

Reaction score
"Fine" is a relative word.

How about using a cheap probe thermometer and lets see some vent temps in 90 F + heat.
Thanks

Deleted my post from earlier.

Re-ran the test. 15 min of drive time. Max A/C, recirc.

012bea82427baac537c5cd3a572db8ce.jpg

e4796e88d403ef4504853804714fdbe3.jpg

PostPremium

Reaction score
Deleted my post from earlier.

Re-ran the test. 15 min of drive time. Max A/C, recirc.

012bea82427baac537c5cd3a572db8ce.jpg

e4796e88d403ef4504853804714fdbe3.jpg
Not in the green on an analog thermometer. Unacceptable for a new car these days. Also a good example of why it drives some of us crazy when members say their AC is fine, but refuse to post temperature pics.

Users who are viewing this thread