5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! That plagued my truck too, until I installed the SeatGuru fix. Then there's the IWE issues, which also showed up on my truck - repeatedly.

-John
Gee, you didn't have battery failures too?

ktl5005

Reaction score
2019 CPO Limited here. Driving it for a week. Just tried the AC today for the first time. Ice cold. Only needed to run the fan at level 3 to cool off the crerw cab before turning it down to 1 within a few minutes. Temp outside was in the 70s, and it was easily in the 80s-90s inside the cab after sitting in the sun all morning

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 CPO Limited here. Driving it for a week. Just tried the AC today for the first time. Ice cold. Only needed to run the fan at level 3 to cool off the crerw cab before turning it down to 1 within a few minutes. Temp outside was in the 70s, and it was easily in the 80s-90s inside the cab after sitting in the sun all morning
Congrats. Sounds like you got a good one. It’s starting to get up in the 90s here in Central Texas with 100 plus days coming soon. I clamped off my heater hose yesterday for the start of summer and I can get about 48 degrees out the front, driver’s side vent. That’s about 7 to 8 degrees cooler that without clamping the hose. This makes the AC tolerable here in the Texas heat. When the temps get higher in PA in the coming weeks, let us know how the AC performs. The only objective way to measure it is to get an inexpensive HVAC type thermometer and insert it in the vents for a while to measure the air temps.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pre-owned? Maybe already hacked :eek:

ktl5005

Reaction score
Congrats. Sounds like you got a good one. It’s starting to get up in the 90s here in Central Texas with 100 plus days coming soon. I clamped off my heater hose yesterday for the start of summer and I can get about 48 degrees out the front, driver’s side vent. That’s about 7 to 8 degrees cooler that without clamping the hose. This makes the AC tolerable here in the Texas heat. When the temps get higher in PA in the coming weeks, let us know how the AC performs. The only objective way to measure it is to get an inexpensive HVAC type thermometer and insert it in the vents for a while to measure the air temps.

summer is like 80s-90s with humid, the kind where you step outside and sweat.

Yeah, this vehicle also hasn’t an issue with the rear window also. Bought it with 15xxx miles. Think got lucky

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Gee, you didn't have battery failures too?

Nope, just the seat cooling, IWEs, front diff, IWEs again, door latches, issue from the door latches being fixed, front rotors x 2, backup sensors. That's what I can remember off the top of my head. All in 3.5 years and 36k miles.

After the truck spending 3-5 days per month at a dealership (I tried 3 different ones before trading it in) over the November 2018 to March 2019 time frame (in addition to several dealership visits prior to that time period), I traded it in on my RAM. My RAM went in to fix the driver's side rear door alignment and an A-pillar trim piece scratched during PDI. Oh, and 2 oil changes so far LOL. It was honestly weird walking into the dealer and requesting JUST an oil change / tire rotation service. Oh, and not having to switch my kids' car seats from my truck to a loaner was nice too.

-John

diamondmi

Reaction score
Does anyone have a detailed installation of the valve hack for the AC? If you could provide a link that would be great. I wouldn't even know where to put the valve.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 Longhorn freezes me below 70 on auto. On low, I get 38F coming out the vents. This bug had better not crop up, it's already breaking 90 every day here, I need my frosty AC.

and dam are the seat ventiliation a great addition. I've had it before on a lexus, but it was crap compared to how well it works just on lo in my truck.

Bearman95

Reaction score
Basically the same results out of my 2020 Laramie, freezes me up. It was 93° in Fort Worth yesterday! Cool seats are wonderful!

rraulston

Reaction score
How buried in the dash is the blend door? I'd like to see it in action, maybe get in there with a borescope. The reason FCA won't fix this problem is the repair most likely requires dash removal which is time consuming and a small fortune. Also the dash rarely goes back in without something else going wrong or breaking
I don't think it matters. Whether the blend door seals well or not, the chamber housing the heater core is still 210 degrees and the heat has to bleed over to the cooling side. Yes this sucks, but in Tucson this week it was 105 and I blew 41 degrees with the shut off valve. Trust me, if there was a perfect truck I would buy it. I've had them all and this is by far the easiest fix to live with....

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it matters. Whether the blend door seals well or not, the chamber housing the heater core is still 210 degrees and the heat has to bleed over to the cooling side. Yes this sucks, but in Tucson this week it was 105 and I blew 41 degrees with the shut off valve. Trust me, if there was a perfect truck I would buy it. I've had them all and this is by far the easiest fix to live with....
I clamped my hose off last summer and recently clamped it off for this summer, as it‘s starting to get hot in Central Texas. I usually run the fan on the 2 - 4 setting with the temp set all the way to lo and the recirculate turned on. I adjust everything with the fan settings and don’t use the auto temp thing.

I keep an old school HVAC thermometer stuck in the front, driver’s side vent so I can occasionally monitor the air temp. Running the fan on 2 - 4 with outside temps in the low to mid 90s, it’ll get down to 48 - 49 degrees which is tolerable.

The other day, it was pretty hot and I cranked the fan up to 7 and just let her blow for 15 to 20 minutes. When I got home, I checked the thermometer and it was at about 43 - 44 degrees. That’s pretty good and clamping the hose or installing a valve like a lot of folks are doing is a simple fix if your AC is one that’s performing poorly.

Other than this issue, I love my truck and I have no intention of bringing it to the dealership to experience frustration and disappointment on an issue that FCA is not even acknowledging.

CaptLiteBeerd

Reaction score
I just picked up my 2020 limited 5.7L non etorque, and the AC is less than impressive. 9 hour drive home had it on LO the whole time. Eventually the AC did get ICE COLD when the temp dropped from 90 to low 80s. I don't know if i changed the setting or was a difference between using the 12" screen settings or the actual buttons. I will continue to monitor and hope to get some type of resolution from this.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I clamped my hose off last summer and recently clamped it off for this summer, as it‘s starting to get hot in Central Texas. I usually run the fan on the 2 - 4 setting with the temp set all the way to lo and the recirculate turned on. I adjust everything with the fan settings and don’t use the auto temp thing.

I keep an old school HVAC thermometer stuck in the front, driver’s side vent so I can occasionally monitor the air temp. Running the fan on 2 - 4 with outside temps in the low to mid 90s, it’ll get down to 48 - 49 degrees which is tolerable.

The other day, it was pretty hot and I cranked the fan up to 7 and just let her blow for 15 to 20 minutes. When I got home, I checked the thermometer and it was at about 43 - 44 degrees. That’s pretty good and clamping the hose or installing a valve like a lot of folks are doing is a simple fix if your AC is one that’s performing poorly.

Other than this issue, I love my truck and I have no intention of bringing it to the dealership to experience frustration and disappointment on an issue that FCA is not even acknowledging.
How is your hose holding up with the clamp on for long periods of time?

U

User_3336

You WOULD have serious issues if your A/C could not cool your crew cab with the temp outside being 70 degrees.

Report back, when its 90 outside, and you may be telling a different story! :-\

parnine

Reaction score
outside temp in the 70s is not a problem, report back when the 'heat index' (outside temp with consideration of humidity level) is above 95.

U

User_3336

Yah, what I suggested! You'll notice there's an issue.

outside temp in the 70s is not a problem, report back when the 'heat index' (outside temp with consideration of humidity level) is above 95.

Users who are viewing this thread