5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Firebird

Reaction score
Took my truck in for weak AC and brake squeal. They replaced the expansion valve, and it is working better now.

ldoh

Reaction score
Nice. I wonder how they isolated the expansion valve as the source of the problem.

Unless it's a different problem I'm not sure how it could tie in with the suspected blending problem solved via the hack.

2wd

Reaction score
I just had a 2019 1500 Classic rental while my Truck was at the Dealership, and I can say when I got my truck back today the A/C is colder than before and also colder than the 1500 Classic Rental. They did a slew of Software updates and put in a new 12V battery under warranty (I am at 34,650 miles, so I am just about to run out of warranty) and all is working perfectly now.

Are you able to take phone pic or scan of the work order and post? Would be helpful to show our dealers what has been successful for others.

Do you recall, was your AC performance generally bad vs. poor performance only on the dirver's side?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Thanks for this info!

What that tells me, is that the issue is likely NOT a dual climate blend door, as your standard climate truck shouldn't have dual climate zone doors.

It's a leak then from the heater core getting into the drivers side only somehow, likely not door dual climate blend door related.

My 03, without dual zone has a blend door. I would bet they did the same. Standardized the parts. It's all the same whether you have dual or not. I know, because it's broken on my 03 and I've been hesitant to repair it because I have to remove the dash. Big pain.

Reactions: 2wd

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. I wonder how they isolated the expansion valve as the source of the problem.

Unless it's a different problem I'm not sure how it could tie in with the suspected blending problem solved via the hack.
The Expansion Valve regulates refrigerant flow into the evaporator, so it would make sense that it's a natural suspect. There is a diagnostic procedure in the service manual to determine the valve's performance. If there's been a noticeable improvement, it sounds like the technician used the prescribed troubleshooting procedures.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031650 miles.

2wd

Reaction score
Is it obvious, that if the expansion valve is the faulty part, that it would affect only the driver's side (or affect the drivers side significantly more?)

KcRay

Reaction score
Unless the improvement, or lack of improvement is measured with a thermometer b4 and after at the vents, it's really just perceived. I'm not knocking anyone's notion that their Ac is fine, or better now. Feeling cool is very subjective to one's personal comfort. The real proof is in the numbers!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it obvious, that if the expansion valve is the faulty part, that it would affect only the driver's side (or affect the drivers side significantly more?)
I wouldn't think so.

regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031690 miles.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 03, without dual zone has a blend door. I would bet they did the same. Standardized the parts. It's all the same whether you have dual or not. I know, because it's broken on my 03 and I've been hesitant to repair it because I have to remove the dash. Big pain.
I did all the doors on an 03 Dodge RAM 1500 about two years ago. Removing the dash is a piece of cake; there is a good you tube video on it that helps.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I did all the doors on an 03 Dodge RAM 1500 about two years ago. Removing the dash is a piece of cake; there is a good you tube video on it that helps.

I know, but priorities get in the way. One of these day's I may get around to it. it's just my work/farm truck at this point. Well, sometimes the wife drives it in the winter and complains. I suspect she'll force me to have to do it eventually if she drives it often enough. I can live just fine with it as it is. Only is an issue in winter anyway.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you able to take phone pic or scan of the work order and post? Would be helpful to show our dealers what has been successful for others.

Do you recall, was your AC performance generally bad vs. poor performance only on the dirver's side?

My AC used to get cool but not cold. It was on both drivers and passengers sides. I would run it on LO with Max AC selected on full fan 7 the whole time I was driving even on multiple hour trips. Now after 10-15 minutes I have to turn it down to fan 3-4 due to getting too cold.

They did software updates and also a "AC duct cleaning procedure".

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can tell you that while my new 2020 Laramie blows a little colder than my 19 Bighorn did it’s still not near as cold as the other two vehicles in my household. I can get 49 deg out of the drivers side vents in 70 deg ambient temps which is better than the 53 I got out of my 19. in retrospect my wife’s Lexus and my sons Tacoma both blow around 40 deg out of the vents.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can tell you that while my new 2020 Laramie blows a little colder than my 19 Bighorn did it’s still not near as cold as the other two vehicles in my household. I can get 49 deg out of the drivers side vents in 70 deg ambient temps which is better than the 53 I got out of my 19. in retrospect my wife’s Lexus and my sons Tacoma both blow around 40 deg out of the vents.
i have been following your posts on your frustrations with the Ram A/C. I just have to ask, if you were so disappointed with the A/C in your 2019, why would you ever buy a 2020 model?

Weside

Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2020 limited. 1400 miles. Build of 8/19. Dealer evacuated and replaced. No bulletins or software updates. Wont blow lower than 50 on auto or manual. Tech states it should be at 40 or below. At least they said it was underperforming. Hoping for an hvac software update like they had for the previous year. Any updates currently with this besides the hack?
Thanks. Wes

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2020 limited. 1400 miles. Build of 8/19. Dealer evacuated and replaced. No bulletins or software updates. Wont blow lower than 50 on auto or manual. Tech states it should be at 40 or below. At least they said it was underperforming. Hoping for an hvac software update like they had for the previous year. Any updates currently with this besides the hack?
Thanks. Wes
Nope. The hack is still your best bet.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put the valve in and drive in complete comfort. Problem solved.

I know we shouldn’t have to but it’s so much easier to solve this problem than live with inadequate A/C. Live a happier life and just fix it yourself. Simple and cheap fix.
What Zeronet said. Just do it and enjoy your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online