5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

trook

Reaction score
If it had to do it all over again knowing now about the A/C issue, I would give more consideration to the other brands before I would spend my $60k. My reconsideration mostly comes not from the issue itself, but from RAM's unfortunate decision to ignore this issue and their failure to work with us to find a viable solution.

Bearman95

Reaction score
Hopefully they fixed the problem in the 2020. It was 97° outside in Fort Worth when I bought my Laramie a couple of weeks ago. The truck was ice cold Inside.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Hopefully they fixed the problem in the 2020. It was 97° outside in Fort Worth when I bought my Laramie a couple of weeks ago. The truck was ice cold Inside.

Care to take a thermometer and get a vent temp for us?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's good to hear, but (a) what is the build date of your truck, and (b) what is the temperature coming out of the driver's side center dash vent?

Bearman95

Reaction score
Build is August 2019. I live in Texas and it was 97 degrees outside and cold inside. Had it set on 65 degrees. Have no idea what the temp was of air coming out.

ldoh

Reaction score
Ten to fifteen ambient degrees lower seems to make a big difference. It's been mid to lower 90's outside and the a/c performance is tolerable. I went on a elk hunt and had to open the water valve for heat and window defrost and I figure I would try to keep it that way until next summer. I'm not saying the a/c system is handling it with ease as I can tell there's isn't much a/c cooling margin remaining and that's with the added cost of ceramic window tint.

Fidomac

Reaction score
New Forum member here. Joined up to learn more and where have input to RAM discussions.

I've had a 2009 and now currently have a 2013 Ram 1500 Sport with 3.55 gears. I've been eye-balling the new rigs and almost pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago. Decided to hold off and do some more reading before I took the trucks out for another test drive to determine if I wanted coil or air suspension. In my research came across this thread and found it troubling to say the least as my current and previous Rams have ice cold AC's. Living in Tx, this is a MUST !

Has anyone gone out and tested the 20's to see if they have same issue? Know anyone with a '20 to test? I understand this doesn't help the 2019 owners ...but could provide some good insight for those like me reading these forums that are ready to buy now.
Get the computer upgrade from your dealer will fix the problem

Rototerrier

Reaction score

If / When they apply this class action to RAM, I'll be all over it. There's clearly a problem and they aren't willing to do anything about it.

I just removed the hack from my truck for the winter. It's already turned cold and rainy here in GA and I'm quite thankful. Got it set back on auto and it's keeping me nice and comfortable.

But, we need to keep this discussion going all winter long so it remains relevant so potential buyers, who are researching, can see it come up in their searches. We need to be the squeaky wheel in hopes they'll eventually do something. Unfortunately, I don't think they ever will. It's way to widespread and would be too costly for them to admit an issue exists.

It's kinda funny that they simply released a spec sheet with higher temps to support their flaw. My thermometer even has a black "proper range" indicator on it, down in the 40 range. Doesn't even get close without the hack.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it had to do it all over again knowing now about the A/C issue, I would give more consideration to the other brands before I would spend my $60k. My reconsideration mostly comes not from the issue itself, but from RAM's unfortunate decision to ignore this issue and their failure to work with us to find a viable solution.
I wouldn’t throw “the baby out with the bathwater”, if people are old enough to have heard that saying. There is the hack that has been well documented. (I’m too lazy to do it and now it’s getting cool outside). The RAM (for me) beat the Ford in all but 3 areas (and the GM was a distant 3rd): Power with the ecoboost still favors Ford, payload and backing up a trailer. Otherwise the RAM is still a better truck. All bets may be off in 2021 when the F150 is redone but I’m finished buying new trucks.

ac1dd

Reaction score
It's kinda funny that they simply released a spec sheet with higher temps to support their flaw. My thermometer even has a black "proper range" indicator on it, down in the 40 range. Doesn't even get close without the hack.

Actually if it's not an automotive specific thermometer it's likely for a refrigerator safety zone. The safe zone for
a refrigerator compartment is 42 F or less but optimal performance for a fridge (energy and food safety is between
38-42 F. It's kind of ironic that in the automotive HVAC industry the "comfort zone" for most consumers and the systems is also between about 39-42 F. :giggle:

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I went into the dealer with a couple issues for them to look at. AC performance was my main issue. I bought my truck in June and it's pretty hot here in Phoenix. I was getting 62* from the vents in 100* weather. Of course the dealer said they got 50* in their service bay with the the air on low and fan speed at 1. Essentially as far from a real life AC situation as possible.

So yesterday I called FCA and filed a complaint. They called me back today and basically told me to kick rocks. I explained to them that there is obviously a blend door issue if clamping one hose will drop temps by 20+ degrees. They just told me that the truck is performing as it was designed.

This is BS, not only did they make this statement without ever testing my truck, but I flat out told them how I was getting temps outside of spec. I guess that's how they stack the deck in their favor so they dont have to pay for a recall. If you haven't done it already call FCA and file a complaint. The more the better. They can't just do a poor job and tell us we dont know what we're talking about.

Anyway, rant over lol

Rototerrier

Reaction score
You are very much mistaken. They can and will continue to do this and no amount of bellyaching will make any difference. Until there's a massive class action, nothing is going to happen.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are very much mistaken. They can and will continue to do this and no amount of bellyaching will make any difference. Until there's a massive class action, nothing is going to happen.
Pretty much common sense.

technicholas

Reaction score
I went into the dealer with a couple issues for them to look at. AC performance was my main issue. I bought my truck in June and it's pretty hot here in Phoenix. I was getting 62* from the vents in 100* weather. Of course the dealer said they got 50* in their service bay with the the air on low and fan speed at 1. Essentially as far from a real life AC situation as possible.

So yesterday I called FCA and filed a complaint. They called me back today and basically told me to kick rocks. I explained to them that there is obviously a blend door issue if clamping one hose will drop temps by 20+ degrees. They just told me that the truck is performing as it was designed.

This is BS, not only did they make this statement without ever testing my truck, but I flat out told them how I was getting temps outside of spec. I guess that's how they stack the deck in their favor so they dont have to pay for a recall. If you haven't done it already call FCA and file a complaint. The more the better. They can't just do a poor job and tell us we dont know what we're talking about.

Anyway, rant over lol
I don't know what else to do I really love the but the truck's AC sucks. I have looked at other brands recently and thinking of switching from RAM. This is a major issue and RAM should get involved and repair the problems clamping off the heater core is unacceptable.

ac1dd

Reaction score
What? 53 pages didn't get them to fix it. I'm shocked. Shocked I tell ya'! :eek:

:LOL:

If nothing else it clearly indicates that FCA doesn't care about their customers.
That's the bottom line when you consider how critical a "good" AC system is for many customers in hot climates.

Barqs

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed the difference in A/C performance until I spent a week in a '19 Ram 1500 "Classic" while my truck was unsuccessfully being repaired for the brake squeal, A/C noise and downshift bump issues. The A/C in that truck was FREEZING me out. Then I got back in my truck where I enjoyed a far superior ride but with a much less than adequate A/C. The second dealership I took the truck to acknowledged that the new Ram had a recirculating fresh air door issue that many had reported. At highway speeds you would often hear the rushing sound of air on the passenger's side with a noticeable temperature increase for a short period of time. My adviser told me that they believe the door is being held slightly open by the pressure from the outside air intake, and as far as he knows there is no fix for it. The first dealership told me I was crazy and there was no issue, so at least the second dealership admitted they knew of the problem. But the end result is still "sucks to be you". I get annoyed just thinking about it........

Users who are viewing this thread