5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2023 Ecodiesel AC is not all that effective so so maybe they didn't actually resolve the problem for all trucks? I'd like to try pinching off a hose to see if that helps, but not sure which one should I do it. Could anyone point out the right hose in the photo below? I'd really appreciate the help!
Here's the picture from Amazon

Screenshot_20230712_161625_Amazon Shopping~2.jpg

Ilya23

Reaction score
My valve started to weep a little last year so I got rid of it and went back to stock. It was the brass ball valve from the Muzzy kit, not sure what the WOG rating is. Now that it's hot as heck I went with the Harbor Freight clamp and watched the vent temperature drop 9 degrees from 53 to 44. The next valve is going to be stainless steel 1000 WOG so there's no worry if it can take the heat.
Yea. Mine the same dropped from 51 to around 45 with clamps on. But for a long run valve to go for sure. Clamp will damage that pipe and possible leaks in the future

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Temps have been at an all time high stretch of 18 consecutive days over 110 degrees, and it looks like we will have at least another week of these temps. Needless to say, at those temps my A/C was just not cold enough, so I finally tried the Harbor Freight clamps this weekend (just because they are available locally and cheap) and was able to dramatically reduce the temps from my A/C. I only drove around for about 12 minutes but the temps went from 54 before the clamp to 47 after. I am certain that it is colder than that but haven't tested it on a longer drive yet. Because it has been proven to help with my '21 Laramie, I went ahead and ordered the Muzzy kit and will install it this weekend.

I know this hack has been proven to work, but wanted to add my endorsement anyway.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Temps have been at an all time high stretch of 18 consecutive days over 110 degrees, and it looks like we will have at least another week of these temps. Needless to say, at those temps my A/C was just not cold enough, so I finally tried the Harbor Freight clamps this weekend (just because they are available locally and cheap) and was able to dramatically reduce the temps from my A/C. I only drove around for about 12 minutes but the temps went from 54 before the clamp to 47 after. I am certain that it is colder than that but haven't tested it on a longer drive yet. Because it has been proven to help with my '21 Laramie, I went ahead and ordered the Muzzy kit and will install it this weekend.

I know this hack has been proven to work, but wanted to add my endorsement anyway.
The clamp will come in handy when you pop the hose off the water pump, and have a plug or a cap ready for the stem to stop coolant loss from the water pump side.

Double check the rating on the valve from the Muzzy kit. I tossed mine but I suspect it's only rated for 212 F since it's a barbed valve

benb1976

Reaction score

I've been wondering now about this hack and if it is worth doing but I've been considering the heat performance rating of the valve, after digging I found this Lowe's PDF saying at the adjustable valve performance is rated to 118F, is that correct and enough for the temp of the coolant in the hose?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been wondering now about this hack and if it is worth doing but I've been considering the heat performance rating of the valve, after digging I found this Lowe's PDF saying at the adjustable valve performance is rated to 118F, is that correct and enough for the temp of the coolant in the hose?

This is the first time I see anything about temperature rating. I’m sure the heater hose temp is higher than this, but I haven’t had any issues.

Scram1500

Reaction score
118 F? yikes....

Currently waiting for the evil empire to deliver the valve and threaded barbs for my next attempt. One piece, stainless steel, rated for 410 F with a max pressure of 1000 psi.

benb1976

Reaction score
118 F? yikes....

Currently waiting for the evil empire to deliver the valve and threaded barbs for my next attempt. One piece, stainless steel, rated for 410 F with a max pressure of 1000 psi.

Does this listing include the PEK threaded barbs or is that another part to add separate?

Scram1500

Reaction score
Does this listing include the PEK threaded barbs or is that another part to add separate?
Barbs are separate, can't seem to find the Dernord brand but there are a few others Screenshot_20230719_134044_Amazon Shopping~2.jpg

Scion

Reaction score

According to Sharkbite's website, that sku has a "Minimum working temperature 33°F at 160 psi. Maximum working temperature 200°F at 80 psi."

DZR Brass PEX Barb Ball Vales: 22461LF, 22462LF, 22463LF - SharkBite

So this may not be sufficient. Unfortunately, after ordering the Muzzy's kit (which gives no information about the valve at all), I was unimpressed with the quality and very oversized barbs of the valve, and the clamps were pretty flimsy, too. So I went and bought this very Sharkbite valve and new clamps. I still haven't installed it, so I may just order this one from Amazon.

It's supposed to have a temperature range of -20° F to 300° F and withstand 600 psi in a water system.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
According to Sharkbite's website, that sku has a "Minimum working temperature 33°F at 160 psi. Maximum working temperature 200°F at 80 psi."

DZR Brass PEX Barb Ball Vales: 22461LF, 22462LF, 22463LF - SharkBite

So this may not be sufficient. Unfortunately, after ordering the Muzzy's kit (which gives no information about the valve at all), I was unimpressed with the quality and very oversized barbs of the valve, and the clamps were pretty flimsy, too. So I went and bought this very Sharkbite valve and new clamps. I still haven't installed it, so I may just order this one from Amazon.

It's supposed to have a temperature range of -20° F to 300° F and withstand 600 psi in a water system.
Good to know. If I have any issues with it I'll take it off. Working fine so far, much better than the "heater control valve" i bought that was supposed to be made for this.

I wonder what the PSI is on the cooling system on our trucks.

Scion

Reaction score
Good to know. If I have any issues with it I'll take it off. Working fine so far, much better than the "heater control valve" i bought that was supposed to be made for this.

I wonder what the PSI is on the cooling system on our trucks.

I'm pretty sure the radiator pressure cap is only 16#

benb1976

Reaction score
I wonder if it's worth trying to keep a flow going instead of just blocking it off, I'm sure it's been posted here before but I keep seeing this type of setup: pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpeg
    IMG_3276.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 42

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's worth trying to keep a flow going instead of just blocking it off, I'm sure it's been posted here before but I keep seeing this type of setup: pic attached
It depends on how the coolant flow is for the vehicle. I’m pretty sure in our case it’s just a stem off the main flow do it doesn’t hurt anything.

jkm312

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MA9DQBE

This is what I put in my truck first summer I had it. No issues with it to date. I don't completely close it off, about 3/4 of the way. Don't need to use it until we get into the brunt of the summer like now. I usually leave the temp set where I want it and use the auto feature. What I'm finding this year is it does just fine when you first start it in the mornings but after it warms up to operating temp, it doesn't cool so well. If I turn the AC on and skip the auto it cools just fine. I cycled the mode selection thru all the positions from defrost to floor mode a few times to move the door around within the linkage seems to work OK. Makes me wonder if the AC clutch is not engaging as well as it should when running down the road in the auto mode. Not sure what to think.

Users who are viewing this thread