5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My air conditioning started to lose performance. I received a UConnect update, as we were driving, the AC got very warm, stopped blowing and then started cooling but didn’t seem to be as cool as before nor the volume of air as strong. I also noticed when I set the AC to AUTO, the fan speed highest setting is 5 or 6. I can change it to 7 but then the AUTO is disabled. I took it to the dealer in Reno and they said there is nothing wrong. I have another appointment for SoCal when I get back this week. The recirculating door also doesn’t always actuate. I pulled the cabin filter and blew it out, it was a bit dirty and the truck is 9 months old and 10,000 miles. I ordered a new Bosch filter which is supposed to arrive today and I’ll replace it for our drive back to SoCal. The temperature out of the center vents was around 50 degrees in recirculating mode. The cabin still takes an extremely long time to cool down. I’m reluctant to perform the hack as the truck is 10 months old and I have an extended warranty also.
Hi there,

We see that you have an upcoming dealer appointment in place for your current concerns. If you need any additional support during that time, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team via private message.

Lex
Ram Cares

Harmonj1

Reaction score
The instructions on Muzzy's Amazon listing clearly show installing it on the "ENG OUT" hose, which is at the water pump closer to the front of the engine bay.
Incorrect. See pic

Attachments

• IMG_6818.jpeg
    IMG_6818.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 38

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
Hi there,

We see that you have an upcoming dealer appointment in place for your current concerns. If you need any additional support during that time, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team via private message.

Lex
Ram Cares
Thanks. It’s at the dealer and the service advisor seemed to understand my concern. I will be in touch if needed.

6of36

Reaction score
It will actually work in either hose. The engine out, also called heater core in, is preferred, because the valve stops heat from radiating to the heater core. Once flow is stopped, the heat radiation is minimal anyway, if installed in the other hose.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It will actually work in either hose. The engine out, also called heater core in, is preferred, because the valve stops heat from radiating to the heater core. Once flow is stopped, the heat radiation is minimal anyway, if installed in the other hose.
I think that doing the other hose would give some opportunity for hot water to flow in. Stopping it at Eng out will prevent it completely

6of36

Reaction score
I think that doing the other hose would give some opportunity for hot water to flow in. Stopping it at Eng out will prevent it completely
The coolant doesn't flow at all, as soon as a valve is closed anywhere in the system. The coolant in the heater core stays there. Heat will radiate through the coolant, and the valve will slow the radiation. That's why they say to put it between the engine, and the heater core. In reality, the air blowing through the heater core, takes away that heat, faster than it radiates into the heater core, when the coolant has stopped flowing. It is best to put in the recommended hose, but the result of putting in the other hose is minimal. If it is put in the non recommended hose, it's not worth replacing the cut hose, and moving it, because it still gets the same result.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Yes there have been major changes, but some people don’t have the updated parts.
What are the major changes? Can my 2020 HO be updated?
I have no A/C complaints but would like to keep things up to date.
Does TSB 24-001-20 GROUP: 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning include the "major Changes"? I appreciate your knowledge

benb1976

Reaction score

Honestly I wonder the same since I had a 2020 and then traded for a 2022 because of the wireless CarPlay and fixed AC, not great cooling in either model in my experience but I live in south Texas so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does TSB 24-001-20 GROUP: 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning include the "major Changes"? I appreciate your knowledge
You could possibly be a candidate. The center vent temps are usually a giveaway, plus using the hack to see if it makes a difference. Here are the affected vehicles

1690732747253.png

benb1976

Reaction score
You could possibly be a candidate. The center vent temps are usually a giveaway, plus using the hack to see if it makes a difference. Here are the affected vehicles

View attachment 164123

My temps are at 45 in each center vent but still doesn't cool down enough like my older vehicles, I feel it's the general cabin's lack of insulation between the interior panels and body exterior, plus the hot glass and black dash, and cuz Texas. I do have a ball valve coming in the mail and will see if I can squeeze some cooling out of the lines this way, can't hurt to do this mod.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My temps are at 45 in each center vent but still doesn't cool down enough like my older vehicles, I feel it's the general cabin's lack of insulation between the interior panels and body exterior, plus the hot glass and black dash, and cuz Texas. I do have a ball valve coming in the mail and will see if I can squeeze some cooling out of the lines this way, can't hurt to do this mod.

45 is really good. I only get 50, but the outside temp is 100 right now. If there’s no difference with the valve closed you shouldn’t need the TSB.

I agree tho, the AC isn’t as great as most other vehicles.

John Jensen

Reaction score

View attachment 164123
I have all the info you provided.

Yes, I am a candidate for the TSB, my hack changes my coldest vent from 58 (stock) down to 42 (hacked). However, in stock mode, it cools me down to 72 without complaint so I have elected to not complete the TSB. And, if I hit a need, I have the hack.

My reason for posting was to ask about what you said. Namely, What are the "major changes?" and Does TSB 24-001-20 GROUP: 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning include the "major Changes"?

6of36

Reaction score
A lot of the reason A/C is not as cold as older vehicles, is due to the fact they changed the refrigerant from 134A to 1234YZ in 2018 or 2019. All cars did. More EPA bullshirt.

Users who are viewing this thread