5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

Joel-A

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with the results that you guys/gals have seen, but this should be addressed by FCA, not swept under the rug. Make louder noise with your dealer and social media.
I hear you but I’m not going to suffer until FCA does something about it. The dealers won’t do anything unless FCA issues an official recall. I’m not holding my breath for that.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m sure they are cheap - but my AC blows ice cold, literally - I have no complaints. So why even waste the effort and money to track down one that might be a little more accurate? I was just sharing that not every truck has AC issues...I got a lower temp reading...although we’ve established it’s probably a little off...but the fact remains that my 5th Gen Ram AC works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YUP, gonna work great because U got the 4 X 2 with the rear end thermal heating and a HCV (heater control valve) installed that shuts off coolant to heater core on MAX. BUT, again, great for you. Sucks for us DT owners that got 4 X 4 and no HCV, just a saying, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, LOL.............................................Such is life...........................................

Hez

Reaction score
YUP, gonna work great because U got the 4 X 2 with the rear end thermal heating and a HCV (heater control valve) installed that shuts off coolant to heater core on MAX. BUT, again, great for you. Sucks for us DT owners that got 4 X 4 and no HCV, just a saying, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, LOL.............................................Such is life...........................................

yeah man, I do agree...really sucks for the guys having AC issues.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
yeah man, I do agree...really sucks for the guys having AC issues.

Doris Day did a song years ago in a Movie with James Stewart, describes our status on the folks having AC issues and the possibility of assistance from FCA:

Que Sera Sera........................lol

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 4 X 2 and do not have a HCV as shown in that photo posted. I do have adequate A/C though. 45-50 out of drivers side center vent, and 43-45 in passenger side center vent.
IMG_2010.jpg
IMG_2011.jpg

Last edited:

7amada

Reaction score
Guys who did this, how the hell did you get the heater hose off? Ive been hacking at it for the past 20 mins with zero progress lol.

that damn thing is glued on!!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know how people are doing it on this engine but on my last truck I prepped the valve, cut the hose, slid hose clamps on both sides, installed the valve, tightened the hose clamps, cleaned up my mess, and topped off the coolant after the next time I drove. I didn't disconnect anything.

JimD007

Reaction score
I cut off the portion of the hose that was on the pipe and then slit it down the center to get it off the pipe. It does get on very tight and the loss of 3/4 inch of hose will not hurt anything..

slicktop

Reaction score
Guys who did this, how the hell did you get the heater hose off? Ive been hacking at it for the past 20 mins with zero progress lol.

that damn thing is glued on!!
cut a small slit on the top of the heater hose where it's stuck on, then cut that end off once it's loose. You end up losing less than an inch of hose. You can still remove the valve later and reconnect the hose back to factory and no one will notice.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Guys, has anyone other than me experienced the a/c working much better in the last 6 months? I was part of this thread somewhere early in the 1000 posts above and installed the simple valve from O'Reillys last summer as it was unbearable otherwise. Again, my temps are posted somewhere above and the valve was an instant cure.

Fast forward to last winter and I pulled the valve as it was an easy swap and didn't want any questions from service in the off chance they noticed it.

Now this summer (much warmer here vs. last year) and I've had no need to reinstall the valve. I leave it set on 70F auto recirc and 5 minutes down the road no matter how hot it is I'm cooled off. Quite often I bump the temp up a few degrees. My digital thermometer broke so I have no recent vent temps and really not in a hurry to get a new one other than pure curiosity.

There HAD to be a software update pushed out fixing something, no?? I have a '19 Rebel 4x4 with 8.4" screen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t seen an OTA update since I bought my truck but last winter (after 3 visits where I complained about the A/C) they told me that the A/C was within spec for the 3rd time. I told them I was going to keep bringing it back and complaining again once the weather warmed back up. They ended up reprogramming my blend door to try and appease me knowing it would be 5-6 months before I could come back and tell them it didn’t work.

Turns out that made a huge difference. Before it wouldn’t keep up once it got to 75F outside now it works in 105F. It still takes a bit to cool my crew can but at least it works now.

PostPremium

Reaction score
Guys, has anyone other than me experienced the a/c working much better in the last 6 months? I was part of this thread somewhere early in the 1000 posts above and installed the simple valve from O'Reillys last summer as it was unbearable otherwise. Again, my temps are posted somewhere above and the valve was an instant cure.

Fast forward to last winter and I pulled the valve as it was an easy swap and didn't want any questions from service in the off chance they noticed it.

Now this summer (much warmer here vs. last year) and I've had no need to reinstall the valve. I leave it set on 70F auto recirc and 5 minutes down the road no matter how hot it is I'm cooled off. Quite often I bump the temp up a few degrees. My digital thermometer broke so I have no recent vent temps and really not in a hurry to get a new one other than pure curiosity.

There HAD to be a software update pushed out fixing something, no?? I have a '19 Rebel 4x4 with 8.4" screen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Maybe you're no longer menopausal. ;)

bradleyworley

Reaction score
I drove today from work and the store was like an hour and a half and stayed solid at 41 degrees and never froze anything. The outside temp was 94! I remember my dad bypassing old heater cores that leaked and never have I heard of anything freezing as part of it. I am almost certain that the AC doesn't need any kind of heated water to keep it from freezing. Your home AC doesn't either. Think about it... Do we have hot water running to our home AC units outside? No. I am going to order a hose clamp made for clamping hoses and retire my vise grips lol. And that is what I'll put on there for the summer or until FCA wants to do something about it.
I believe you need some hot water running in the system, otherwise the passenger may not be able to warm their side with the passenger thermostat... just sayin'

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I believe you need some hot water running in the system, otherwise the passenger may not be able to warm their side with the passenger thermostat... just sayin'

U do not if U have dual setup, Just synch and have same temp both sides. If U have dual ATC and want diff temps, then the hack not what U want, and I guess I/we could wait till FCA dies something, fat chance. So clamp it is, unless I get squirrely ish and go out and put in valve.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t seen an OTA update since I bought my truck but last winter (after 3 visits where I complained about the A/C) they told me that the A/C was within spec for the 3rd time. I told them I was going to keep bringing it back and complaining again once the weather warmed back up. They ended up reprogramming my blend door to try and appease me knowing it would be 5-6 months before I could come back and tell them it didn’t work.

Turns out that made a huge difference. Before it wouldn’t keep up once it got to 75F outside now it works in 105F. It still takes a bit to cool my crew can but at least it works now.

Did they say exactly what they did or how they reprogrammed the blend doors?

Users who are viewing this thread