5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

James Cole

Reaction score
Just installed the brass valve that @Jhill recommended, definitely quality piece, just wondering if its up to the temperature task, but no leaks whatsoever.

As for the A/C performance right now is on par with other vehicles, very satisfactory results, it's working as it should be from the factory now.

Did some tests when I was purging the system of air after the the valve install, closed and opened the valve while the engine was running and radiator cap off, there is no added pressure on the system when closing the valve.

Very happy now, thanks @KcRay !

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Reactions: Vic

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed the brass valve that @Jhill recommended, definitely quality piece, just wondering if its up to the temperature task, but no leaks whatsoever.

As for the A/C performance right now is on par with other vehicles, very satisfactory results, it's working as it should be from the factory now.

Did some tests when I was purging the system of air after the the valve install, closed and opened the valve while the engine was running and radiator cap off, there is no added pressure on the system when closing the valve.

Would be helpful if you told us your before and after vent temperatures. I am sorry, but stating “it is on par with other vehicles” is not very descriptive.

James Cole

Reaction score
Would be helpful if you told us your before and after vent temperatures. I am sorry, but stating “it is on par with other vehicles” is not very descriptive.

I understand, but I dont have a temp gauge, all I can say is the difference is enough for me to be comfortable in a 100 degree day.

The cab cools much quicker and I dont have to be blowing the vents straight to my face now.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand, but I dont have a temp gauge, all I can say is the difference is enough for me to be comfortable in a 100 degree day.

The cab cools much quicker and I dont have to be blowing the vents straight to my face now.
Okay, understand. I notice our build months are the same. Mine cools to factory specs and I run it in auto/recirc all the time including startup. I usually set thermostat between 70 and 72 degrees these days. I live in Houston so the system is having to work. Still thinking about cause for those who are not satisfied. Have you had your system checked for proper Refrigerant amount, and correct pressures in and out of the compressor? What environment are you in, where do you live

KcRay

Reaction score

Very nice, that does look like a higher quality valve.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Went to Harbor Freight and bought their fluid line clamp set with the ubiquitous 20% off coupon and installed it in literally 30 seconds. Six bucks. Even with residual 200F coolant in the heater core it brought the right vent temp down. I saw as low as 40F during a 20 minute drive. Low 90s ambient here today. Cheap fix. 30 seconds to reverse with no tools.

FWIW, Ram is never going to fix this problem, so why wait. How could they really fix it? What are they going to do... redesign the HVAC system on a million trucks in service? :)

What puzzles me is that this blocking-the-heater-core solution is not uncommon (looking at all the reviews on these valves and clamps being used just like this: to cut-off flow to heater cores for lots of vehicles). You'd think there'd be a universal design approach after 100 years of liquid cooled thermal-engined vehicles to get the heat or even the heater core out of the cabin when cabin heating is not needed. And who among us a half century old or older hasn't faced the issue of heater core problems or inaccessible heater cores leaking in history. Sorry, for the mini rant. At least the AC is cool now! Not quite in the upper 30s as I've noted in my other cars, but close.

View attachment 26151 View attachment 26152
Did you clamp it all the way, or allowed for some flow?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok I know theres at least 3 points of view here:
1 - don’t touch it, wait till a TSB comes out
2 - I want cold ac now, I’m willing to hack to get it, warranty and wait be dammed!
3 - its working ok, every system varies

I’m in camps 1 and 3. It was 97 starting out today (truck reported rtemp, phone said 92) and the truck didn't have any sunshade. It was hot in the cab (that’s one reason why we chose the indigo frost interior instead of black) so put the drivers window 1/2 down, max ac and cooled seats on. Within 2-3 minutes it was “ok” and we started out. It took about 15 minutes before the cabin felt “reasonably cold” and I noticed the left most ac duct (by drivers window) had warmer air than the middle vent. Course the sun was streaming in the drivers window... (Note to self, look into legal level ceramic tint for all 4 windows). My real temperature test was my wife saying “its ok”.
I fully understand anyone not wanting to deal with the temps, I’m just not a hacker so I will wait a few months and see if anything develops. By then it will be December and I will forget about it till next June...

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I will be doing the Harbor Freight clamp hack today, yesterday took the family out for dinner or should i say they took me and my little boys were sweating in the back the whole time. It was kind of embarrassing knowing I paid 60 grand for this rig and I am dealing with this. I will just take the clamp off in September.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Ok I know theres at least 3 points of view here:
1 - don’t touch it, wait till a TSB comes out
2 - I want cold ac now, I’m willing to hack to get it, warranty and wait be dammed!
3 - its working ok, every system varies

I’m in camps 1 and 3. It was 97 starting out today (truck reported rtemp, phone said 92) and the truck didn't have any sunshade. It was hot in the cab (that’s one reason why we chose the indigo frost interior instead of black) so put the drivers window 1/2 down, max ac and cooled seats on. Within 2-3 minutes it was “ok” and we started out. It took about 15 minutes before the cabin felt “reasonably cold” and I noticed the left most ac duct (by drivers window) had warmer air than the middle vent. Course the sun was streaming in the drivers window... (Note to self, look into legal level ceramic tint for all 4 windows). My real temperature test was my wife saying “its ok”.
I fully understand anyone not wanting to deal with the temps, I’m just not a hacker so I will wait a few months and see if anything develops. By then it will be December and I will forget about it till next June...
and that is what they are counting on.........

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
and that is what they are counting on.........
Maybe, maybe not. Its not some conspiracy to warm the planet, just typical slow to respond till theres enough complaints.
Ford never has fixed their F150 cooled seats in 4 years now, there’s thousands of posts about it (5,400 alone on one thread)... when you’re the sales leader by a good margin, who cares? People keep buying them so...
Lets just hope that RAM, trying to capture more market share, pays more attention.

James Cole

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. Its not some conspiracy to warm the planet, just typical slow to respond till theres enough complaints.
Ford never has fixed their F150 cooled seats in 4 years now, there’s thousands of posts about it (5,400 alone on one thread)... when you’re the sales leader by a good margin, who cares? People keep buying them so...
Lets just hope that RAM, trying to capture more market share, pays more attention.
What?

I came from Ford, 15-16 models had AC seats and there was a TSB that made the seats work better which required adding some kind of tubing, 17 models had ventilated seats that worked fine.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
What?

I came from Ford, 15-16 models had AC seats and there was a TSB that made the seats work better which required adding some kind of tubing, 17 models had ventilated seats that worked fine.
Well go to the thread, theres 5400 posts and over 1 million views...
Its even a sticky, not some random complaint... as a matter of fact, go to the last page and read post #5442:

Cooling Seats issue and TSB feedback
Several things in the FWIW department:

1. Tim and I did our dead level best to convince Ford Engineering (we actually worked directly with them developing and deploying the TSB) to do the COMPLETE correction of the 2015+ design (intake and exhaust ducts)..... but for their own reasons they only did the intake sock to eliminate the seatback hot spot vs. truly retrofitting the design to the pre 2015 optimized configuration

2. Tim decided to use his engineering skills to develop and share his total solution..... he had a full time business.... but did it to benefit all of us. IMHO he got far too much flack from some folks as he was doing his best effort to improve design and ship product

3. Tim quietly switched to his Ram quite a while ago.... I am recalling it was 1-2 years ago.... before all the latest 2019 improvements.... but despite his personal challenges he continued to produce his kits. (It was a dead-end business opportunity for him as Ford changed the design totally in 2018 away from TED cooling to VENTILATED seats) .... and to his credit he NEVER really poor mouthed Ford on this Forum.

4. Ford ironically has problems in weather extremes..... witness both the cooling seat failures AND the freezing latch problems (which, by the way, they still have not seemingly solved despite several years of problems). They HAVE let us owners down, especially in these two areas!

Myself, I am totally thankful that Tim and I got to work together and, in my opinion he is a fine person..... calls to mind a twist on an old saying.... "No good DUDE (deed) will remain unpunished!.....

Thanks for all your efforts Tim.... best of luck with your relocation and career changes......and I am certain that I speak for (almost) everyone in saying that the Forum will miss you and your contributions!!!....... AZPLAT

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I’m not a Ford Hater, I liked my F150, good power, nice ride, just couldn’t fit it into the carport converted garage so it got traded in at the selling dealer for a 2014 Edge AWD limited. Now I drive the Edge and she has the RAM, (well I chaffeur her in the Ram).
So I still own a Ford and make no excuses about it, however Ford doesn't step up to the service plate.
Google “Ford Edge TPU problems” and you'll see just what a stupid design that was all the way from 07’ to 14’.
That little $1600 nightmare that they wouldn't help owners with unless you had the ext warranty, and many dealers claim they don't know anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snakes709

Reaction score
I made a post about this but my truck went in for a recall for the restraint system and i mentioned the air condition not blowing cold air. They called me back a few hours later saying there is a recall on the ac system. Apparently there was a hole that a bolt went into? That backed out and leaked all refrigerant out. Parts are on back order so 3-4 weeks and ill have ac in my truck.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Harbor Freight Clamp done, seemed to be colder. Does anyone in here know if any damage will happened with that line clamped?

James Cole

Reaction score
I made a post about this but my truck went in for a recall for the restraint system and i mentioned the air condition not blowing cold air. They called me back a few hours later saying there is a recall on the ac system. Apparently there was a hole that a bolt went into? That backed out and leaked all refrigerant out. Parts are on back order so 3-4 weeks and ill have ac in my truck.
Can you please get us copy or info on that recall?

niftyguy239

Reaction score

It may be for your specific build date. Following to see if there is a recall/TSB indeed out there. But a bolt which caused all of the refrigerant to leak out would mean the AC system would stop blowing cold completely, not just on humid/hot days.

Users who are viewing this thread