5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Compressor recommendation

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm taking my Ram to Great sand dunes nat'l park in a couple weeks and there is a road about 20 miles long at about 10k ft in elevation that requires a 4wd vehicle. I'm all good there...however there is a recommendation to reduce the pressure in your tires for better traction on the sand and after you leave to re-air your tires up. Does anyone know of a good air compressor to use for that? Anyone who may do this kind of thing from time to time who has advice? Thanks, MileHi Guy.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can always use an inexpensive 6G pancake compressor topped with air and use that for your refill tank. You can also look at a cigarette lighter powered hand-held compressor...far slower than the pancake compressor, but a viable option as well. Cheap and easy.

Last edited:

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
I am out on the Outer Banks northern beaches this week. I use a basic stick tire gauge to lower the pressure before getting on the sand, and I have a Ryobi One+ inflator for refilling. Nice to have on-hand in the RamBox.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a VIAIR 300P for my Ram. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X90YUO/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got jumper cables to attach directly to the battery. I have not used it yet, other than to check it works. I'm hoping it's more capable than the cigarette lighter ones in my other vehicles and less likely to melt my truck's fuse than the Porter Cable pancake compressor shown above (that I own and use as my light around-home compressor).

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
and less likely to melt my truck's fuse than the Porter Cable pancake compressor shown above (that I own and use as my light around-home compressor).
You are very confused my friend. You will not be plugging the Porter Cable Compressor into your truck so you will not be powering it at all. Therefore, how would you "melt" anything??? Just fill the compressor us with air before you leave the house and then use the air already in the tank to refill your tires. Cheap and easy, although it does take up more space than the other options above, it will fill the tires far more quickly and you're only using it while off-road anyway.

Reactions: c3k

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are very confused my friend. You will not be plugging the Porter Cable Compressor into your truck so you will not be powering it at all. Therefore, how would you "melt" anything??? Just fill the compressor us with air before you leave the house and then use the air already in the tank to refill your tires. Cheap and easy, although it does take up more space than the other options above, it will fill the tires far more quickly and you're only using it while off-road anyway.
LOL. I had a buddy who always had a tank of air in his garage. When he first brought it out, I thought he was trying to fill my wheelbarrow tire with propane! ;) In my defense, it looked JUST LIKE a propane tank. (And, thinking about it, that'd be kinda fun... :) )

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
As luck would have it, a friend had the exact same air compressor as Securityguy posted above and I asked him how he liked it...well, he said he had an extra that was old that I could have for free. He gave it to me and all it needed was a quick connect and a hose. So, for $27.09 I bought the parts at home depot, I cleaned up the air compressor with a magic eraser and boom, now I have one. I'm not sure I'll need to lower the pressure in my tires when I go to great sand dunes with my Ram, but I have a backup now in case I need it.

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 37

jkm312

Reaction score
As luck would have it, a friend had the exact same air compressor as Securityguy posted above and I asked him how he liked it...well, he said he had an extra that was old that I could have for free. He gave it to me and all it needed was a quick connect and a hose. So, for $27.09 I bought the parts at home depot, I cleaned up the air compressor with a magic eraser and boom, now I have one. I'm not sure I'll need to lower the pressure in my tires when I go to great sand dunes with my Ram, but I have a backup now in case I need it.
I would suggest you charge the tank and see how long, and how much of a charge it will hold. That will tell you if you can trust it or NOT.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I would suggest you charge the tank and see how long, and how much of a charge it will hold. That will tell you if you can trust it or NOT.
My thoughts exactly. I charged the tank up yesterday and it still looks good. I'll check it again in a few days.

jkm312

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. I charged the tank up yesterday and it still looks good. I'll check it again in a few days.
In a few days at home air your tires down to where you are going to be and then see if there is enough volume and pressure in the tank to charge all 4 tires to street PSI.

You might want to consider one of these. They are pretty impressive for what they are, don't take up much space, and not a lot of money. Out in the middle of no where, just sayin.
AVID POWER Tire Inflator Air Compressor, 20V Cordless Car Tire Pump with Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, 12V Car Power Adapter, Digital Pressure Gauge$59.99Amazon.comFree shipping

Last edited:

JBV

Reaction score
my 2 cents is to invest in a proper device like the Viair 300P mentioned. keep it in your truck at all times. off road driving benefits from lower tire pressure, and every day driving benefits from proper inflation. the 300P has long enough hose to get to your back tires no problem and you never have to go to a gas station again. never an excuse not to have optimal tire pressure. keep your wife's tires at optimal pressures, etc, etc, etc. i just can't see any reason not to have a portable tire inflator on deck anymore.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, all my cars get a 12v compressor as part of their gear. It's far easier to add a little air on the side of the road than to change a tire. (Sure, I can swap a tire as fast as the next guy, and I always try to beat the Nascar pit record, but it's still easier to chug a little air in and get to my destination and THEN swap it out (or plug it) than to dig out the spare.)

In my dream-world, I'd have a hard-wired and hard-plumbed compressor tucked up in the truck's underbody. Love the mods some guys have done to get that fitted on their trucks.

Doberman11

Reaction score
I also go on the beach and bought this one, uses my drill batteries and works excellent. Also has a 12volt cord if needed. You can set your desired pressure and just let it go. I also bought some deflators and you can set them to any pressure you want, Just screw them on and let them do their thing. 81EHIDUh2cL___AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Reactions: c3k

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
I have the vlair 88p and the avid battery one posted above. I actually have 2 avids. when beach driving I air down to 18-20 psi. After I use vlaiir to fill front two and rear 2 I use avids. Set the desired psi on avids and walk away. I’m done in about 5 -6 mins

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the vlair 88p and the avid battery one posted above. I actually have 2 avids. when beach driving I air down to 18-20 psi. After I use vlaiir to fill front two and rear 2 I use avids. Set the desired psi on avids and walk away. I’m done in about 5 -6 mins
Why not just use the Viair and call it a day? Why do you need both? It says it comes with a 16' hose which should be enough to reach all 4 tires...no?

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Why not just use the Viair and call it a day? Why do you need both? It says it comes with a 16' hose which should be enough to reach all 4 tires...no?
I have had the vlair for years and it is great. I could reach all 4 tires with that set up . But I picked up one of those avid for my wife and I was impressed with it enough to grab another. Soo on beach days I pack them all just to expedite the process.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ARB makes a 12v air compressor that comes in a handy all in one kit packaged in a plastic toolbox but be sitting down when you see the price.

I have several Viair air compressors which is easier on the wallet and they still do a good job.

I have one of their smaller / cheaper compressors in the wife’s car and a bigger more expensive one in my truck.

I already have a large selection of Milwaukee 12v power tools and for a quick top off here at home I find their Cordless Compact Inflator quicker then dragging out my 50’ of hose and attaching it to the garage compressor.

With the Milwaukee compressor you can set an automatic shutoff pressure so while the tire is filling I’m checking the oil, topping off washer fluid, etc.

DuckDuckGo “Matt’s Off Road Recovery“ for his Youtube channel to see how well pickup trucks and sand play together.

Users who are viewing this thread