5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AGM or Lead Acid Battery

rws1944

Reaction score
I have a 2019 all new 1500 limited with the 5.7 hemi. My battery died and I need to determine if the OEM battery (730 56029635AC) is a lead acid type or AGM type. Nowhere that I can see on the battery does it say what type it is. All the stuff I've read says don't use a convention car charger on an AGM battery. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 all new 1500 limited with the 5.7 hemi. My battery died and I need to determine if the OEM battery (730 56029635AC) is a lead acid type or AGM type. Nowhere that I can see on the battery does it say what type it is. All the stuff I've read says don't use a convention car charger on an AGM battery. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Same problem here, but deciding on what to replace it with.

Maconi

Reaction score
I've been having to go AGM on my newer cars. All the accessories have so much drain/pull that it's almost required at this point IMO.

A bunch of the batteries from various brands (AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc.) are all made by the same manufacturer and rebranded. I've been buying mine from Advanced with coupons which ends up cheaper than AutoZone or whoever.

I believe the correct battery is: Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H7, 850 CCA

Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't think the H8, 900 CCA fits).

For those buying the Optima batteries, check this video out:

Last edited:

myles

Reaction score
Did some digging, Pretty sure factory batteries are AGM

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has caps under the stickers, AGMs AFAIK do not have caps to top off the cells.

Next time mine dies, I'm dropping one of these in and never looking back

I have one in my plane and it is fantastic and feels like a toy. I went from a 17lb battety to a 14 ounce battery. It's nuts, and it has 40 more AH and 100 minutes more reserve AND a low charge lockout reserve you can press to "jump yourself"

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It has caps under the stickers, AGMs AFAIK do not have caps to top off the cells.

I have one in my plane and it is fantastic and feels like a toy. I went from a 17lb battety to a 14 ounce battery. It's nuts, and it has 40 more AH and 100 minutes more reserve AND a low charge lockout reserve you can press to "jump yourself"
Man that is an expensive battery... Does it last forever?

myles

Reaction score

Ya its crazy that lithium has such a higher power density than lead acid. And now graphene batteries are starting to come to market which already have 2x or more power density than lithium, up to 10x the charge and discharge rate, don't have to worry about them catching fire/blowing up like lithium. And graphene technology was only discovered about 12 years ago.

next 20 or 30 years will be interesting in the auto industry when graphene goes mainstream...
Can't wait for an electric truck with 1000+ pounds of torque @ 0 rpm and can go 1000+ miles on a single charge.
Batteries and electric motors are definitely the future of transportation

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Its a very interesting battery for certain. I see no mention of a warranty. One would think something so expensive would be backed with a warranty. Also, I couldn't any reviews on google.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its a very interesting battery for certain. I see no mention of a warranty. One would think something so expensive would be backed with a warranty. Also, I couldn't any reviews on google.
Scroll to the bottom and click warranty? It's 3 years free replacement and 5 years prorated at 60% and 40%. The only real way to kill one of these is to melt a terminal or discharge it to a hard 0v. LiFePO4 are notoriously hard to kill and also notoriously hard to resurrect without special equipment. That's why they have a built in reserve/cutoff.

This company is also good too, I have one of their batteries in my ultralight seaplane.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.

Pick it up and shake it. If you hear liquid sloshing around inside, it's lead acid.

Steve

rws1944

Reaction score

It's my understanding that "maintenance free" lead acid batteries don't have cap to top off the cells, they are completely sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread