5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket power running boards?

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
Amp research!... Pretty much same exact thing as the "Mopar" boards.... They are even better imo because they have the LED lights that shine down onto the steps/ground.. The factory steps on my longhorn don't have that. I ran amp boards on my 4th Gen for roughly 4 years and never had a problem with them!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Dosnt the Mopar ones link with ur factory warranty? I got extended to 180k or 6 years. Don't want mine to take a crap and then not be covered

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dosnt the Mopar ones link with ur factory warranty? I got extended to 180k or 6 years. Don't want mine to take a crap and then not be covered

Yes, if they were installed by the factory or your dealer. I believe the dealer has to install them prior to delivery, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

LED lights don't make the AMP boards a better choice, IMO. I have mirror lights. AMP boards plug into the OBD port and they don't integrate into UConnect. IMO, that makes the the Mopar boards the better choice.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could look at the Rough Country boards, too. Much less expensive.

CatServant

Reaction score
I have AMP Research PowerSteps on my 2022 Lone Star and they integrate really well. They deploy when I open the door and retract a few seconds after closing the door. They do require a separate switch for manual override, which I installed next to my light switch.
8159c41e1683208a51fd79e4b11e2d00.jpg

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have AMP Research PowerSteps on my 2022 Lone Star and they integrate really well. They deploy when I open the door and retract a few seconds after closing the door. They do require a separate switch for manual override, which I installed next to my light switch.
That switch is small enough and blends in well enough that it really wouldn't bother me. Not having to click through the touchscreen would be convenient.

raygun9

Reaction score
Which option did you go with on the switch? I was lookin at these yesterday and was going to pull the trigger but there were controller options I didnt follow for the switch.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

CatServant

Reaction score
Which option did you go with on the switch? I was lookin at these yesterday and was going to pull the trigger but there were controller options I didnt follow for the switch.

You have to see which controller you have. If you’re getting a brand new set of steps as I did, you’ll likely get the latest controller, in which case you only need the switch and cabling (not a new controller). The cable comes with three terminals crimped onto wires, with which you populate three empty terminal positions on an existing plug.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
Where are y’all buying the Mopar kit? Everywhere I look it’s only sold as individual components.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Where are y’all buying the Mopar kit? Everywhere I look it’s only sold as individual components.

I bought mine from my dealer. Mopar has a 15% coupon for accessories that makes the price competitive with places like BAM.

I'm not sure why you're not finding the entire kit. It's part #82215287AH.

ZWilson07

Reaction score
A little bit of a side segway, is there any way to get just the factory module and wiring or anyone making up any wiring kits if I just buy the module?

Im turning in my 21 for a new 24. They are letting me pull the power steps off my 21. The factory pigtail looks like its built into the oem harness so I couldn't do much about that. Does anyone know if the pssm will work from my 2021 to the 2024? Also is location still underneath steering column?

Last edited:

skyhawk42

Reaction score
A little bit of a side segway, is there any way to get just the factory module and wiring or anyone making up any wiring kits if I just buy the module?

Im turning in my 21 for a new 24. They are letting me pull the power steps off my 21. The factory pigtail looks like its built into the oem harness so I couldn't do much about that. Does anyone know if the pssm will work from my 2021 to the 2024? Also is location still underneath steering column?
See if this helps

ZWilson07

Reaction score
See if this helps
I appreciate the quick response. The dealer said I can take the PSSM with me; I have no idea if it will work on the 2024 though. When I go to oem parts it shows the PSSM blacked out under exterior/running board and side steps. Lots of the "kits" showing 19-24 but I dont know how well the PSSM plays for all years. Surely I would like to think that the last year run they wouldnt take the time to change something like that but I grabbed the PSSM off of it just in case. Hopefully that way I only need to grab a harness. I am not worried about controlling it through the screen as I never did the previously on the 21; just open/close of doors.

Last edited:

woodgrain

Reaction score
Hey folks. I ordered the mopar running boards and installed. Couple of tips:

1. Look online for discounts. I got about 300 bucks off mine by looking around.

2. Don't do what some are doing on these YouTube videos and snaking the wires behind the inner fender wells with them still in place. It takes 3 min to take off the inner fender and you'll ne glad you did..

3. The hardest part is putting the wires through the firewall. I made this easy by taping the wires together with electrical tape such that you stagger where the ends are (don't ball them all up at the end). Also: put a little water or dish soap on the wires and they will PULL RIGHT THROUGH. none of these hours long struggles I have read about.

Other than that the install is very straight forward, follow the instructions and do a clean job you'll be glad you did.
Can you post a link for where you purchased yours? Thx

TJ Ryan

Reaction score
I have a 22 with an off road package. I don't mind jumping up into the truck, but I'm starting to notice with some of my older and shorter passengers, it is an issue. I have a little folding step but it's not a great solution. I really should have gotten the power running boards.

What are my options at this point: can I install the mopar boards and have them interface the uconnect system? If not, how well do some of the aftermarket options work, and how do they work? Do they just deploy when the truck is turned off, or unlocked etc? Any particular brand people think are good?

Thanks for the help.
I have a 2020 Rebel and did my research and bought AMP Research Power Step. Installed it myself and was easy easy EXCEPT for the wiring harness with which I had never worked… had trouble fishing the wires down the wheel well… any way 3 hours all in and well worth it. Open any door and it drops; shut the door and 2 seconds later it’s gone. I also put a gator aluminum roll top on my bed… that was about 90 mins and pretty easy…

raygun9

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel and did my research and bought AMP Research Power Step. Installed it myself and was easy easy EXCEPT for the wiring harness with which I had never worked… had trouble fishing the wires down the wheel well… any way 3 hours all in and well worth it. Open any door and it drops; shut the door and 2 seconds later it’s gone. I also put a gator aluminum roll top on my bed… that was about 90 mins and pretty easy…
Got some pics??

ZWilson07

Reaction score
See if this helps
Does anyone still know if guy on the forum is still making the harnesses up for the power boards? I cant seem to find the thread anymore that has all the part numbers and terminals to build your own or part numbers to order them from the mopar kits.

SShadow1974

Reaction score
Holy crap! $2500?! I'd like to have them, but not at that price

Users who are viewing this thread