5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket exhaust drone while towing?

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I'm fairly new here (this is the first thread I've posted) and I've been searching everything related to towing and exhaust, but haven't found anything on this topic so here I go. I'm looking at an exhaust for my next mod, Borla S Type is at the top of my list at the moment. I also want to get a tow behind camper at some point. Does anyone running an aftermarket exhaust while towing have problems with drone or just an overly loud experience in the cabin? Any advice would be great, thanks!

Drewmal

Reaction score
I was wondering the same, so ordered a flowfx direct fit hoping it won’t be too bad considering it’s on the quieter side of the offerings.

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of guys have said the S is pretty loud, most even agree the touring is too loud

Under load towing it's going to be even worse and I bet it would get annoying over time.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I haven't heard the Touring or the S Type in person. If anyone has them on their Ram in Phoenix, AZ and wouldn't mind letting me check it out let me know.

geotex1

Reaction score
You absolutely will not like any of the Borla offerings for the 5th Gen while towing. I've ridden in trucks with each and, for me, it's no way! For perspective, I have a '37 Chevy with a 350HP 350 in it with true duals through Flowmasters so around doesn't scare me off!

RamSco

Reaction score
I did the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back with black tips. I liked it over others because it’s 3” tubing all the way back to the tips which are 4”. Most others are 2.5” to 5” tips. The sound ranges from very tame to very loud depending on throttle pressure. Modest pressure produces am almost big block with headers sound. It sounds like a hellcat when I romp on it. While towing my boat on level ground, it sounds good and does not drone. When Towing uphill, the truck kicked down to 6th and stayed there and it was a bit loud. But as soon as I summited, all good. I actually like that I can play with the sound output when I want. The only time I get drone is low RPMs when the MDS kicks on and it sounds terrible. But there are work-arounds to that problem.

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score
Hoping to start this thread up again now that the 5th gens have been out for a few years.

I have the Borla S type on my 2019 ram rebel but now I am considering buying a travel trailer and I’m wondering if anyone has towed with this set up or a similar aftermarket exhaust and what your experience with the noise level is.

I love the exhaust but it may be obnoxious if it bounces of the trailer at 65-70mph in 7th gear for hours on end...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

badpewterz

Reaction score
im right there with ya. i had a b2fab 14in on my 4th gen and it sounded perfect but towing it bounced off the front of trailer and it sounded good but pulling for a few hours it gets a little monotonous? this is why i havent done exhaust yet on my 2020 as i like how quiet the cabin is.

recon15

Reaction score
IMO you will not like having the custom exhaust if you tow distance (no matter now heavy). Bouncing between 6-7 gear towing for 8 hours pulling a travel trailer is super annoying when you have to turn the radio up load enough to cover the exhaust sound. Stock is the way to go.

Firebird

Reaction score
I always hated my aftermarket exhaust when towing, the drone bores into your skull

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a full aftermarket exhaust, but I have the Mufflex kit with a Magnaflow 24” muffler. Wanted something a little more aggressive than stock and had concerns about sound levels when towing. I’d say there’s no drone when towing. I’m sure my wife would have let me know if there was.

STR

Reaction score
I have the S-Type (Part #140752BC), and love it... but under load it has a slight drone. It’s easy to work around it by changing the RPMs w/the throttle, but if towing I’m sure it would be much worse. Borla offers a resonator (Part #60667), which is installed before the muffler that is suppose to tame it a little. If this is concerning, then I recommend looking at their Touring set-up. You can’t beat the Borla tone (y)

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Anyone running a flow master 50 series? From what i am reading it is a better sound, but is designed to not have much drone. Be nice to have a bit more sound when flooring it, but i also don't want to drone myself crazy towing.

Aschulte13

Reaction score
I have the Borla ATAK and it drones like crazy when towing. Drives me insane. Sounds great when not towing.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I have the S Type and have towed with it. The furthest time wise was about an hour? Half the time I don't even have the truck in tow mode (it's relatively flat where I live/have towed) and it honestly wasn't that terrible. It was definitely louder than not towing but my truck would still hover around maybe 2500rpms (i honestly wasn't paying attention) so it wasn't bad. That being said if you live in a hilly or mountainous area it is going to be more obnoxious.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had Borla S, Magnaflow (which ever exits before the rear wheel), and Flowmaster (cannot recall the type, 2 chamber, maybe) and all of them had me wishing for the stock exhaust within an hour. ***These were all Fords; the 6.2L, the 5.8L, the 4.6L, and the 5.0 (coyote), so the Hemi might be alittle different.

I've been tempted many times to put an exhaust on the Hemi, especially since they sound sooo good with one.. 🤤 but so far, I'm 3yrs & 46k in, she's still stock.

Users who are viewing this thread