5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Amp and 12” sub install in a HK LIMITED!

Agoose33

Reaction score
Waited a month got my box in and they didn’t send the seat spacers even after I called and asked about it.... wtf fox acoustics is so unorganized!

Attachments

• 4BD0851C-885E-40A5-8F9B-67502B5D8A5C.jpeg
    4BD0851C-885E-40A5-8F9B-67502B5D8A5C.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 228

mch

Reaction score
Waited a month got my box in and they didn’t send the seat spacers even after I called and asked about it.... wtf fox acoustics is so unorganized!
After week 3 I sent an email. They never replied and a week later I sent another email without a reply. Think shortly after, I saw it was in transit. Looks like I got everything, but the grills that go over the speaker seem on the short side. Crappy customer service, but decent box. I got the forward firing 2x 10" subs - sealed. I installed threaded inserts (ezlok #8-32 flanged and #8-32 / 3/4" screws) One side I spent a little extra time just drilling for the depth needed, the other side I just drilled all the way through. I installed the speakers with straight banana plug posts for my 2 JL Audio 10W1V3-4ohm speakers. I don't feel like pulling the speakers back off, but if I had to do it again, I'd get an angled or 90 degree banana-plug for the speaker connection. I'll probably install the crill tomorrow using wood screws. They seem too close to the edge to put in threaded inserts.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Inserts.jpg
    Inserts.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Speakers installed.jpg
    Speakers installed.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Wire Posts.jpg
    Wire Posts.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Wire.jpg
    Wire.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Agoose33

Reaction score
Tired of waiting on those people Made my own spacers out of an old bed frame lol. Prob stronger then the mdf Fox sends, works great now! I also only cut mic 3 and 4 hope it’s the tears only, so far no crazy sound from the subs!

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ANC only really, in my opinion, cancels out the sound from the motor by playing inverse notes from the motor through the stock sub. When those notes where amplified by my Rockford amp and played on 2 12" subs - it was agonizingly obvious and abhorrent. I unpinned the ANC negative mic wires and all seemed ok - just drone from the motor itself, especially during MDS. This was only obvious and annoying to me - going from ANC to no ANC, I can hear everything the motor was doing when I muted music.

I finally decided to pony up the cash and do it right. I got a Pac Amppro to pull a clean signal. I got the dual 10" foxbox and 2 JL 10W0v3.

The Pac Amppro has a sub level remote, which works like a remote Gain controller and hid that up front. My Amps gain is at max and the Amppro is at half or more/less depending on music type. The Rockford amp has a remote "punch" level which lets me control bass boost level, which is accessible up front as well.

This setup let me get the beautiful bass I was looking for. I also re-installed the stock sub and hooked up ANC to quiet up the motor noises in the cab - zero issues!

Everything works beautifully and sounds great together. I lost a touch of overall volume maybe turning up to 10 is like turning up to 9 now. But, turning it all the way up still sounds clean and clear and too loud for comfort in my opinion. The loudest I enjoy is 28-30 on the volume which I think goes up to 38 for some odd reason.

I can control the bass on a song by song basis, it hits hard and clean and the ANC has given me no issues even though I changed out the 6x9s. I have not taken it to highway speeds with this setup, but if I have issues with ANC at any point, I will update this.
Thank you @GOATinstructor ...

So I believe I am with you now... I purchased one of the adapters that bypasses the mics on the AMP/ANC module underneath the seat, which I installed this afternoon right before my wife and I took off to drive 30 minutes to eat out. Wow... not sure how anyone could consistently stand the persistent engine/exhaust rumble. It was very noticeable at 60-65mph. Granted if you have the audio cranked up fairly loud the entire time you are driving, it may not be nearly as noticeable, but if you listen to talk radio like I do during football season, or have the music turned down lower while the wife (or anyone else) is riding with you... the engine/exhaust noise gets rather obnoxiously annoying. At first it sounds pretty cool, but then it just keeps on and on. Right after we finished eating, I uninstalled the adapter and we took off back home... what a relief it was to have that noise silenced. There is ZERO doubt that the ANC works its magic on making the cab quieter.

It makes sense that if you use the PAC AmpPRO4 and redirect the headunit output to a processor/amps, etc... that the ANC module, mics and factory sub will continue to work and cancel out the motor/exhaust noise as it should. I am definitely going to try it that way... and hopefully it will work. I suppose an inline switch in the power lead to the Amp/ANC module would suffice so that it could be switched on and off as needed... if it came down to that. It makes further sense that having to use the high level outputs from the amp to feed your processor is where the problems arise with aftermarket systems and the ANC.

Ram-bunctious

Reaction score
Thank you @GOATinstructor ...

So I believe I am with you now... I purchased one of the adapters that bypasses the mics on the AMP/ANC module underneath the seat, which I installed this afternoon right before my wife and I took off to drive 30 minutes to eat out. Wow... not sure how anyone could consistently stand the persistent engine/exhaust rumble. It was very noticeable at 60-65mph. Granted if you have the audio cranked up fairly loud the entire time you are driving, it may not be nearly as noticeable, but if you listen to talk radio like I do during football season, or have the music turned down lower while the wife (or anyone else) is riding with you... the engine/exhaust noise gets rather obnoxiously annoying. At first it sounds pretty cool, but then it just keeps on and on. Right after we finished eating, I uninstalled the adapter and we took off back home... what a relief it was to have that noise silenced. There is ZERO doubt that the ANC works its magic on making the cab quieter.

It makes sense that if you use the PAC AmpPRO4 and redirect the headunit output to a processor/amps, etc... that the ANC module, mics and factory sub will continue to work and cancel out the motor/exhaust noise as it should. I am definitely going to try it that way... and hopefully it will work. I suppose an inline switch in the power lead to the Amp/ANC module would suffice so that it could be switched on and off as needed... if it came down to that. It makes further sense that having to use the high level outputs from the amp to feed your processor is where the problems arise with aftermarket systems and the ANC.

I just got my Amppro installed yesterday (for sub only) and left the ANC hooked up to the factory sub. It’s sounds great, with one Fosgate Power 12” shallow mount under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmyb

Reaction score
I had great success adding noico 80 mil sound dampener and the noico green closed cell foam. There was also room to hang a sheet of MLV on the back, but not enough to room to hang in the doors. Now I have a huge roll with no use at this point.

Maybe one day I will pull the seats and carpet again and door the floor.

Nice Work!
Did you pull all the carpet or do just the rear half?

If you were doing it again how much Butyl and MLV would you use?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got my Amppro installed yesterday (for sub only) and left the ANC hooked up to the factory sub. It’s sounds great, with one Fosgate Power 12” shallow mount under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you give us details on what you did? I want to leave the factory HK sub doing ANC only, and put a less obnoxious sub in for music...thx

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am also interested in how this was installed. Sounds like the best way to add an aftermarket sub independent of the stock system

It is. I've done testing with both and "prefer" the aftermarket. However, if you are limited space (aka use your rear seating area), then you only have a couple options.

frybel

Reaction score
It is. I've done testing with both and "prefer" the aftermarket. However, if you are limited space (aka use your rear seating area), then you only have a couple options.
I'm curious as to what box ppl are using for single sub applications. The foxbox looks awesome, but I really only need 1 10", and would love to still access storage under the single rear seat. I've looked at a ton of shallow boxes, but none will fit the specs with the underseat storage. Is everything a custom job? Nothing out there to order that doesn't take away all the storage under the rear seats?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what box ppl are using for single sub applications. The foxbox looks awesome, but I really only need 1 10", and would love to still access storage under the single rear seat. I've looked at a ton of shallow boxes, but none will fit the specs with the underseat storage. Is everything a custom job? Nothing out there to order that doesn't take away all the storage under the rear seats?
MTI acoustics will make you one that still has storage...

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Damn, those are some good looking boxes! But $600 for a single sealed 10"???
Definitely not cheap. They have a 20% off going on right now but only until tomorrow. If you email them I believe you can get even more basic boxes they don’t show on their website.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

'tiz why I'm building my own as I can when I have time.

Users who are viewing this thread