5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket 13.6" Display Radio

Gravey

Reaction score
Just got off a call with a tech at Phoenix. He sent me 2 files to upgrade the CAM on the radio neither resolved the issue. He also told me that there are other people having the same issue with the unit and that the software engineers are looking into it. Although that sucks, I was glad to hear that the issue was not happening because i installed it wrong.

Also: The last update he had me install completely ruined the radios physical button mapping.

Laramie202030

Reaction score
Just got off a call with a tech at Phoenix. He sent me 2 files to upgrade the CAM on the radio neither resolved the issue. He also told me that there are other people having the same issue with the unit and that the software engineers are looking into it. Although that sucks, I was glad to hear that the issue was not happening because i installed it wrong.

Also: The last update he had me install completely ruined the radios physical button mapping.
My exact feelings I’m thinking I’m just going to return it at this point. If you don’t mind please keep me updated I had to switch back to my old head unit. I can’t wake up to a dead battery because of this

Laramie202030

Reaction score
Mine did the same. In the settings find one that says doors off or something like that. Mine stayed on until I selected it
I tried this and still nothing! I turned all the setting for everything to shut off as soon as I opened the door or shut the truck off and was still doing this maybe a bad batch of radios or maybe a newer software making it glitch

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
I tried this and still nothing! I turned all the setting for everything to shut off as soon as I opened the door or shut the truck off and was still doing this maybe a bad batch of radios or maybe a newer software making it glitch
I had to get ahold of the software maker to give me the correct firmware. Then had him tweak it for me. Might need to do the same

mrcovington52

Reaction score
View attachment 175957
Just ran into a issue after installing the unit. After im out of the truck and its off the "Press brake to start" screen in the center cluster keeps turning on and off (stays on for about 45 seconds, off for 5 then repeats). Seems like the truck is receiving an incorrect signal somewhere idk. usb ports and gear select are also dimly illuminated. Anyone else run into this issue?
Im having the same issue. Tried setting everything to turn off with the car still the same issue. Only after removing the fuse F44 does it fix the issue but then the radio is completely off among other things. Makes me believe that it is definitely something with the radio.

If any gets the fix from Phoenix please post for others.

2021 Ram Rebel 1500

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Im having the same issue. Tried setting everything to turn off with the car still the same issue. Only after removing the fuse F44 does it fix the issue but then the radio is completely off among other things. Makes me believe that it is definitely something with the radio.

2021 Ram Rebel 1500
Seems to be an issue the Android 12 units as I have an Android 10 unit and it doesn't do this. I've had it for over a year.

Gravey

Reaction score

2021 Ram Rebel 1500

513c1fcbb1f1163e37ccd53226b50ec7.jpg

The message photo I posted is the last update I got from the tech tewm last Wednesday (the 7th). I had to remove the raido from my truck because it would be dead after 12 hours of being off. I really want to like the radio but I am seriously considering just returning it if this issue isnt resolved soon.

P.s. I have a 2019 ram rebel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gravey

Reaction score
Seems to be an issue the Android 12 units as I have an Android 10 unit and it doesn't do this. I've had it for over a year.
Thanks for that info ill try to pass this information on to the tech team. Maybe it will help them narrow down what is causing the issue.

mrcovington52

Reaction score
After doing some digging, seems like others are having the same issue even with the stock radio. Maybe a recall in the future? Doesn't seem to be a fix yet.

Will be interesting if the update from Phoenix fixes the issue though..

Gravey

Reaction score
After doing some digging, seems like others are having the same issue even with the stock radio. Maybe a recall in the future? Doesn't seem to be a fix yet.

Will be interesting if the update from Phoenix fixes the issue though..

Maybe so, but for sure when I removed and replaced the phoenix radio with the stock one this morning, the issue stopped for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TosaInu

Reaction score
I upgraded my 2017 Ram 2500 to a 2024 Ram 3500 yesterday ( I swapped the Uconnect system back in before trading so I can sell the Phoenix system rather than the dealer getting it) and while I love the new truck and the factory 12-inch screen is beautiful, I have to say that it is pathetic that the Uconnect system doesn't support full screen android auto while a $700 unit supported it perfectly. For the record, my Phoenix unit was flawless except for an issue where the screen didn't want to scroll all the way down if you have too many apps. I worked with "tech support" on that for a while but they never got it fixed and it just wasn't a huge deal for me since I really only used android auto.

RAMMER69

Reaction score
**Day 2 UPDATE** I was able to rectify the audio situation by pulling the harness and running the amp straight to the radio since it has built in connections for it. The radio def pushes the sub harder than the factory radio using a bypass harness.
Also, since installing Car Launcher Pro, the experience has become MUCH more enjoyable and it LOOKS much better. Super easy to set up and works so much better. I have given up on the FM radio. It sucks, and instead will just use Sirius XM, which you just download from the play store and log in.
. Wireless CarPlay has seemingly gotten more reliable the more times I use it. It connects automatically most of the time getting in the truck. I will keep more updates coming!

**Day 3 UPDATE**

Starting to enjoy the radio more. Again, carlauncher pro totally transforms the user experience, and it looks so cool. What I am finding out, this is an EXCELLENT car play radio (which frankly now I am happy with). Wireless connects *most* of the time before I'm even in the truck. I would say every 3 out 5 times it connects right away (wireless). Other times it may take a moment. When you use the supplied USB cable (you have to use the one they provide that's connected to the back of the radio, the front ports will NOT work for wired car play, the radio sees the iphone as a PC accessory), it connects as soon as it's plugged in. My radio complaint is solved, because SiriusXM is an available carplay app, as well as Spotify. And to my audio complaint issue, again, totally resolved with Carplay. It sounds great! My subwoofer works perfect now also. So, right now, I'm feeling like now that I have it mostly settled in, for 700 bucks, having a SUPER cool radio that looks better than the OEM 12" radio, that retains all the factory functionality, that has a super cool EQ, and reliable Carplay, I am sold. Plus being able to connect to YouTube and any other app is cool too. Here's the caveats I have:

Without a data connection (for example if your phone dies), the radio is useless. FM radio blows, the GPS antenna they provide for trucks that don't a GPS antenna also blows, and with no Carplay. My solution is putting a sim card in it so I have data everywhere, so even if my phone isn't available, I can still connect to all of my installed apps, that work for me in place of the things that this radio is terrible at. Again. For $700 bucks this radio is so cool, but you need to know it's limitations.

If you are planning to use your phone as a hotspot, don't expect to be able to use Carplay. Carplay won't function while wifi is active. I have a spare phone line I don't use, so I am just going to pop the sim card into the radio tomorrow when my little nano to full sized sim adaptor comes tomorrow, which will fix those issues. ALSO. I have not found a way for the radio to use the time and date from Carplay. The factory uconnect systems get the time and date from the Satelitte radio antennae. So since this radio does not have an input for Satelitte radio, the only place the system can get the time date info from is either by setting it manually (the problem here is once you restart the truck, the Phoenix forgets the time you just entered, there may be a setting hidden somewhere to fix it). The other way is "use network time" which works fine if you have wifi connected, but then remember, that disables wireless Carplay. This is especially annoying because your in dash display behind the steering wheel, pulls the time from the radio. Which means, while using Carplay, the Carplay app shows the correct time, yet, the truck itself thinks it's another time. Popping my sim card into the radio should fix the problem. For $700 I'm not complaining, I just want y'all to be aware what types of issues you may face.

At this point, I am keeping the radio. I can deal with the terrible backup camera, and the quirks, since Carplay is so good on it, and everything I need in a radio can be done thru Carplay. Car launcher pro seals the deal, and popping my SIM in should fix the remaining issues. For $700, I'm willing to deal with this radio, it looks so cool, and I don't have to spend the couple thousand to go with the OEM 12", which is no where near as capable. You ain't watching YouTube or browsing Twitter on OEM LOL.

I WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE UPDATES
what is launcher pro? I just got my radio installed and having some CarPlay connections lol

oledirteh

Reaction score
Got this radio in this week and install was pretty staight forward on my 2021 ram 2500. the antenna plug didnt seat right and had to trim the nubs then eventually just used the antenna they provided which allowed the fm radio to pick up some stations however no big deal to me as i never listen to FM. Other than that the install went smooth and honestly looks great.

This morning on the way in at 430 am i was surprised that all of the button lights were changing colors as i drove. that was kind of cool. enjoyed that. might set it to a static color later.

Surprise feature was i could change my gauge cluster background. Now i want to figure out if there are other backgrounds I could load up and put on there.

I added tmobile sim to the system and at this point i don't think i will ever use car play. Full screen Waze or split screen Waze with Spotify is pretty much where I'll be at.

Major complaint i saw in this thread was the backup camera. i honestly think for whatever reason it seems clearer and since the screen is bigger it's just great. Also, now i can turn on the rear camera any time so will be useful when i want to check my trailer straps on the move.

Over all 1 day in I'm pleased. went from the 10 UConnect to this and it's just all around sweet.

radio 1.jpg radio 2.jpg radio 6.jpg radio 8.jpg

Undaground

Reaction score
Hi, I was able to pick one of these Aucar radios up from my big horn locally relatively cheap. I know many will state that the oem 12in is the way to go or a linkswell system but don't have that type of money right now. Anyways, my question is have any of you installed one of these radios in your truck? I'm running into a problem with fitment inside the bezel.

For some odd reason it will not sit flush on my climate control bezel. It stays propped up as shown in the pictures. If I push down there is pressure in the middle and by the screw holes as I show in the picture with red drawings. I have reached out to the manufacturer through WhatsApp and they have been responding and trying to be helpful but I haven't had success. They asked for a video and pictures (which I provided) and they sent me back a video showing them making it fit easily. I just can't get it to line up to the screw location in the middle and there is some pressure in the middle that won't allow the unit to slide in snug.

They are using a ram rebel climate trim in the listing and also in the videos they sent me. I did a little diving around on the web and found that there are multiple climate control bezels that house the radios. I myself have a 8.4in and trim has the part number 5YU433XLAF. I found others on the web such as 5yu473xrad which was from a rebel. Even though they climate bezels appear to be the same or similar, could it be that minor differences could be causing the radio not to FIT? Anyone have success with these type of radios? If I try to force it to fit and try to screw it in the I know plastic screw holes will strip. Thanks in advance. If additional videos or pictures are needed just let me know.
134cae2af0296c09cc6b830c22526e8f.jpg
ca266c37c814f98c0e719aa5ed17dcaf.jpg
20cf47cbff097e2723e043b0c8b63014.jpg
276259a8362e3ffe7537dd12fce1abb7.jpg
d044869027808340d21bf7da0e615f93.jpg
f77d3607b83d9b3cc4caf67034dfc814.jpg
d9befadc4b2ebf09145ee2bb1066d1d8.jpg
e438ba29eebc0b12804ce5838b6494d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread