5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After market trailer brake controller

Parmm

Reaction score
I brought a after market Redarc Liberty brake controller and had a local trailer shop {not rv!!!) install it. I have used the Redarc previously on other vehicles and am very happy with them. I've also used the trailer shop and highly trust them.

Will98208

Reaction score
First time RAM owner. New to the forum. I searched for this topic but did not find anything related to this issue. I have a 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie. I have the tow switch on the dash but no intigrated brake controller. I have a small travel trainer I want to tow. The dealer says I do not have both of the four-pin connectors required to install an integrated trailer brake module. I only have one four pin connector. So, I am looking for after marked trailer brake controllers that I can install myself. There are a ton of them but I am looking for some reviews from people who have actually installed and used an after marked controller on their RAM. I would like something that is mounted behind the dash and has a minimal appearance on the dash. Any suggestions you can give me are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Will
UPDATE: I found that my RAM does indeed have the appropriate connectors taped under the right side of the steering column. I ordered the necessary parts. They arrived today. Installation took about 90 minutes from disassembly, install, to reassembly. I then flashed the truck using AlphaOBD. The manual paddles gain adjustment and trailer trip mileage appeared immediately. I shut things down and waited for an hour. The rest of the app, the trailer name and type, and an app for the trailer settings did not appear. Now, two hours later they are still not present. I rechecked that I had activated the three CSM trailer settings and enabled the brake module. Still not there. So, does anyone know if you have to have the trailer attached to the truck for the rest of the items to appear? I won’t be able to connect trailer and truck for a few days to find out myself.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my initial post. I appreciate the advice and directions you provided to help me do this project.

Will

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
No, sometimes it will take a bunch of cycles to show. Each truck is different, some have had to wait a couple of days for add-ons to show up.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you just activate the brake controller, or add the trailer package sales code? Just adding the controller doesn't necessarily add the package. Trucks can be ordered with the switch and not the trailer package. With the trailer package, the options show, without hooking up a trailer.

Will98208

Reaction score
Did you just activate the brake controller, or add the trailer package sales code? Just adding the controller doesn't necessarily add the package. Trucks can be ordered with the switch and not the trailer package. With the trailer package, the options show, without hooking up a trailer.
I did not add any sales codes. Should I? What am I looking for?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did not add any sales codes. Should I? What am I looking for?
I'm not the expert. I only know that some posts on other things, a sales code has to be programmed into the truck. This may be like that. But the pages are there without a trailer hooked up.

Noway

Reaction score
I’ve ordered it. Takes for days to get here. I’ll do the install and probably take it to the dealer to be flashed. I don’t have an android device for using alphaobd to do it myself.
unless you have the dealer do the software and install the sales code, AlphaOBD is just temporary and resets once the 1st dealer update happens ( ex fixing a random recall)..am I correct?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
unless you have the dealer do the software and install the sales code, AlphaOBD is just temporary and resets once the 1st dealer update happens ( ex fixing a random recall)..am I correct?
That is not correct

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only time a dealer update would revert any AlfaOBD settings is if they were to specifically restore the BCM configuration, which would be a very rare occurrence. That’s only required when there is a recall that has something to do with a BCM flash being the fix, or BCM replacement.
In the event that does happen at the dealership, then you would simply take the three minutes to use AlfaOBD to restore it back to what your settings were with the AlfaOBD changes.

Noway

Reaction score
The only time a dealer update would revert any AlfaOBD settings is if they were to specifically restore the BCM configuration, which would be a very rare occurrence. That’s only required when there is a recall that has something to do with a BCM flash being the fix, or BCM replacement.
In the event that does happen at the dealership, then you would simply take the three minutes to use AlfaOBD to restore it back to what your settings were with the AlfaOBD changes.
..ok so I was right. I'll see how much is for dealer to do the sales codes. From what I've sen could be anything from $60 (which is reasonable) to $500+

Sigfla

Reaction score
I believe you must add the sales code in order to see the towing app and the gauges widget. W/out the code your telematics box will delete them. If you activate the Trailer brake via alpha or JScan it will show the “function” pages in settings but you must do a factory reboot of the radio to see the towing app and gauges widget. Telematics will eventually nuke them if you don’t have a sales code added. Worth it to go through dealer imho for full functionality

Users who are viewing this thread