5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After market trailer brake controller

Will98208

Reaction score
First time RAM owner. New to the forum. I searched for this topic but did not find anything related to this issue. I have a 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie. I have the tow switch on the dash but no intigrated brake controller. I have a small travel trainer I want to tow. The dealer says I do not have both of the four-pin connectors required to install an integrated trailer brake module. I only have one four pin connector. So, I am looking for after marked trailer brake controllers that I can install myself. There are a ton of them but I am looking for some reviews from people who have actually installed and used an after marked controller on their RAM. I would like something that is mounted behind the dash and has a minimal appearance on the dash. Any suggestions you can give me are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Will

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First time RAM owner. New to the forum. I searched for this topic but did not find anything related to this issue. I have a 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie. I have the tow switch on the dash but no intigrated brake controller. I have a small travel trainer I want to tow. The dealer says I do not have both of the four-pin connectors required to install an integrated trailer brake module. I only have one four pin connector. So, I am looking for after marked trailer brake controllers that I can install myself. There are a ton of them but I am looking for some reviews from people who have actually installed and used an after marked controller on their RAM. I would like something that is mounted behind the dash and has a minimal appearance on the dash. Any suggestions you can give me are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Will
I can't imagine they changed the wiring in 2023 to remove the trailer brake controller connectors from the dash harness. And with as easy as it is to install the factory trailer brake controller, probably not worth paying dealer to do it. You can buy the parts cheaper yourself than what the service department will charge as well.

Will98208

Reaction score
I can't imagine they changed the wiring in 2023 to remove the trailer brake controller connectors from the dash harness. And with as easy as it is to install the factory trailer brake controller, probably not worth paying dealer to do it. You can buy the parts cheaper yourself than what the service department will charge as well.
Can you tell me where the connector, one or two four pin connectors is located. The dealer was not much help at all. I’ve looked under the steering wheel but I do see anything obvious.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you tell me where the connector, one or two four pin connectors is located. The dealer was not much help at all. I’ve looked under the steering wheel but I do see anything obvious.
They are usually taped up to the harness when they aren't part of factory option. There was a YouTube video I watched that showed them when I installed mine.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
You have the 7 pin in the rear bumper? CURT Make a plug in that looks like a flashlight, works thru your phone, I've used mine 6 times works great so far.

irishwake63

Reaction score
gray connector under dash drivers side untape and connect an after market harness there you can get harness from E trailer along with great support

John Jensen

Reaction score
Don't believe the dealer, look for yourself. As HSKR R/T said, there are YouTube video/s that will show you where to look and how to install. The factory device is so much better than aftermarket that you have to hang below the dash, a knee knocker. Been there, done that.

Will98208

Reaction score
They are usually taped up to the harness when they aren't part of factory option. There was a YouTube video I watched that showed them when I installed mine.
Just to clarify, one plug has ten pins and the other four? Are they wrapped together or separate? And are these standard hsrness plugs present on all fifth gen RAMs or is it possible there would only be one? My dealer was nt forthcoming explaining anything to me. They acted like it was an inconvenience to deal with m3. This is a 2023 RAM 1500 Laramie.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve seen a 5th gen 1500 that doesn’t have the 4 pin and 7 pin trailer connector. Can you take a pic?

Will98208

Reaction score
He's talking the dash wiring.
Hi, yes, that’s exactly right. I am trying to determine what the connectors look like and exactly where they are wrapped up and stored behind the dash. Looking at some photos of the module, it appears one connector is 4-pin and the other possibly a 10-pin.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just to clarify, one plug has ten pins and the other four? Are they wrapped together or separate? And are these standard hsrness plugs present on all fifth gen RAMs or is it possible there would only be one? My dealer was nt forthcoming explaining anything to me. They acted like it was an inconvenience to deal with m3. This is a 2023 RAM 1500 Laramie.
I would highly doubt that you would have one without the other

Will98208

Reaction score
Don't believe the dealer, look for yourself. As HSKR R/T said, there are YouTube video/s that will show you where to look and how to install. The factory device is so much better than aftermarket that you have to hang below the dash, a knee knocker. Been there, done that.
Thanks, I did just that. Attached is a photo of the plugs I found on the right side of the drivers side under dash wrapped in tape. Can you verify if these are the correct connectors? Also, what’s confusing to me is the Mopar description has a note that says in order to install this module, you have to have two, four-pin plugs located on the left side under the dash. Yet, the module has plug sockets for a 10-pin and a 4-pin plug. Bad info? I appreciate your comments and help.

Will

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 26
  • image000004.jpeg
    image000004.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image000003.jpeg
    image000003.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 25

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I did just that. Attached is a photo of the plugs I found on the right side of the drivers side under dash wrapped in tape. Can you verify if these are the correct connectors? Also, what’s confusing to me is the Mopar description has a note that says in order to install this module, you have to have two, four-pin plugs located on the left side under the dash. Yet, the module has plug sockets for a 10-pin and a 4-pin plug. Bad info? I appreciate your comments and help.

Will
Those look correct. Here is a picture of brake controller. Screenshot_20230729-123507.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You will also need to find the connector for the manual switch. Screenshot_20230729-123612.png

Users who are viewing this thread