5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aFe Cold Air Intakes

Odis814

Reaction score
I’ve got the AFE Magnum on order. Do you “really” need to tune to use CAI, or should I expect brain or other problems down the road?

FYI - I’m not upgrading the exhaust until I hear it with the CAI installed...I’m old and don’t want it too loud. :)

I installed mine a couple days ago. It really doesn’t growl unless you’re up around 2500-3000 RPM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeanKing

Reaction score
I am really hoping this lives up the comments and improves the sound noticeably because that is the main reason I ordered one. Extra MPG is just a bonus. I was seriously considering a new exhaust but really didn't want to mess around with that and did not want it louder at cold start or highway cruise. This intake fits the bill according to the comments here. Also I get a permanent air filter and its a lot cheaper than an exhaust.

Odis814

Reaction score
I am really hoping this lives up the comments and improves the sound noticeably because that is the main reason I ordered one. Extra MPG is just a bonus. I was seriously considering a new exhaust but really didn't want to mess around with that and did not want it louder at cold start or highway cruise. This intake fits the bill according to the comments here. Also I get a permanent air filter and its a lot cheaper than an exhaust.

Like I said, I have one and your not going to notice the sound unless you get on it. Around town you’ll barely hear it and if you’re in cruise on the HW you won’t hear it. But when you jump on it it sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is shipped and on the way! So excited to see what difference it makes. When I ordered it the blue Magnum filter(oiled) was not in stock so there sending me the gray(dry) filter.
They said it wouldn't be till early February till the blue one ships to me

DeanKing

Reaction score
Mine is shipped and on the way! So excited to see what difference it makes. When I ordered it the blue Magnum filter(oiled) was not in stock so there sending me the gray(dry) filter.
They said it wouldn't be till early February till the blue one ships to me
Thats some BS. They took my order and didn't say anything about waiting a month. If I understood emojis I would have a bunch of angry ones throwing things. Are they sending you the gray one for free and then sending the blue one once it is in stock? Did you order direct from aFe?

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats some BS. They took my order and didn't say anything about waiting a month. If I understood emojis I would have a bunch of angry ones throwing things. Are they sending you the gray one for free and then sending the blue one once it is in stock? Did you order direct from aFe?

Yeah direct. the gray one is shipped with the rest of the intake I'll have it Tuesday. The blue filter won't get to me till February(early). Not really mad since there giving me the gray one. I'll guess I'll get to see if there's really a difference in gains between the two like afe has on there website.

RodRow

Reaction score
Yeah direct. the gray one is shipped with the rest of the intake I'll have it Tuesday. The blue filter won't get to me till February(early). Not really mad since there giving me the gray one. I'll guess I'll get to see if there's really a difference in gains between the two like afe has on there website.
I ordered my blue one a few days ago and called them today to follow up. They said that the blue and the gray Magnum Force will not be available until later this month (awaiting production of the housing).
By contrast, the Momentum GT has yet to enter production so it will be late February or longer before they start shipping.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my blue one a few days ago and called them today to follow up. They said that the blue and the gray Magnum Force will not be available until later this month (awaiting production of the housing).
By contrast, the Momentum GT has yet to enter production so it will be late February or longer before they start shipping.
I ordered mine Christmas Eve when they were doing 15% off and the gray one just shipped yesterday. Everybody's buying them up. I guess they weren't prepared

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've wondered the mpg gain as well on intakes. Anyone have experience or documentation in that regards?

DeanKing

Reaction score
I've wondered the mpg gain as well on intakes. Anyone have experience or documentation in that regards?
I have always wondered the logic that said that increased air consumption meant more mpg. I am not an automotive engineer but it seems like the computer would always match the right amount of fuel for whatever amount of air was coming in. So if anything you might have to press on the pedal a little less to get the same fuel air mix. But what exactly promotes more mpg? Now I could see more total power if the filter lets in more overall air or cooler air. Afe has dyno runs posted on their site showing more total power. And for whomever claims more power plus better mpg, I understand that even less. Power is produced by consuming fuel. You don’t get free power. I could imagine that the increased power causes a person to alter their driving habits and that in turn leads to a different mpg. Better or worse. If this sounds the way people are saying, I expect my driving will make my mpg worse.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my thoughts too, but I could also see a scenario where at the same ground speed and rpms the engine is able to run more efficient due to more air and less resistance on the intake. Same for the exhaust. Less lost energy pushing gas out on the discharge side means the engine may be able to run more efficient. But this assumes the driver doesn't change habits.

Does an aftermarket CAI void warranty?

lrobbi

Reaction score
Installed mines last Sunday, took about 30 minutes, Love the SOUND! AND combines with the Exhaust (B2 Fabrications Muffler) priceless :p(y)

Users who are viewing this thread