5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aFe Cold Air Intakes

knightro84

Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered the magnum intake with the dry filter this morning... I originally didn't realize that the stock lower part of the box that drew air from in front of the grill remained.

Now I just need to decide if I want to go get this Borla ProXS muffler I have sitting in my garage installed and have the resonators removed... I leave for work in the morning at around 6:20 and don't want to be that neighbor lol

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Now I just need to decide if I want to go get this Borla ProXS muffler I have sitting in my garage installed and have the resonators removed... I leave for work in the morning at around 6:20 and don't want to be that neighbor lol

I am that neighbor... :ROFLMAO: I just put a Borla S-Type cat back on last weekend and the days of sneaking out of the house/neighborhood quietly are long gone. Once the idle kicks down from initial start up, it's pretty tame (if I keep my foot out of it), but it'll definitely get your attention before then.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my thoughts too, but I could also see a scenario where at the same ground speed and rpms the engine is able to run more efficient due to more air and less resistance on the intake. Same for the exhaust. Less lost energy pushing gas out on the discharge side means the engine may be able to run more efficient. But this assumes the driver doesn't change habits.

Does an aftermarket CAI void warranty?
Improved mpg from an intake change just doesn’t seem possible to me. In part-throttle steady speed operation the biggest restriction in the intake path is the throttle plate. There is a big vacuum behind the throttle plate. If more air is allowed into the engine, due to a less restrictive intake, the computers will just immediately reduce the throttle blade angle to allow less air to pass through. It will learn what throttle blade angle is required for a given load and negate the part throttle effect of the new intake.

I could see how a snappier/peppier throttle response could be felt. My thinking is that as the throttle plate moves and since there is less restriction before the blade, the incoming air will more quickly reduce the vacuum behind the blade. Don’t know if the computer will tune this out as it learns.

More power at wide open throttle, yes, if the new intake is less restrictive and does not introduce more heat to the intake air (or, even better, reduces intake air temperatures).

Jamesontf

Reaction score
Just called AFE. The sales guy said their products are not recommended for the etorque engine. They are working on but don’t use their product with etorque yet.

billyraff

Reaction score
Now that you guys have had the magnum for awhile, any new opinions? 10% off plus 50 dollar rebate on it right now I may order instead of waiting for the momentum

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now that you guys have had the magnum for awhile, any new opinions? 10% off plus 50 dollar rebate on it right now I may order instead of waiting for the momentum
Hello, where are you seeing all of this please ?

RodRow

Reaction score
I really like mine as well. I assume that the momentum would be a little quieter in the cab when at or near OT, but I don’t really even notice the sound most of the time in daily driving. It does clearly have more pep “off the line” and the highway mileage is at or better than stock.

They say patience is a virtue. Shall you be virtuous?

Users who are viewing this thread