5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on BORLA exhuast system s-type

shurik74

Reaction score
I ordered my Borla S-type with black tips from CSPracing for $902 on June 12th. It was finally shipped on the 22nd. Thanks to UPS, I just got it today on July 9th. I opened the box to inspect for damage and fit. On the fit test, it appears I have the same issue. The L/H crossover pipe seems too small to slide over the pipe coming from the muffler. I agree, that much money shouldn’t require me to make adjustments. I wonder if they had a bad batch. Regardless, I can’t wait to install it.

Installed the same S-Type with black tips 5 days ago, I would say very good fitment compare to other sets. You just need to make sure light tight all clamps, adjust and tight them up really good, two people recommended.

Keep in mind, this is a muffler that hangs on rubber bushings, it's not like other truck parts precise bolt on. :)

IMG_20200709_205051.jpg

STR

Reaction score
Installed the same S-Type with black tips 5 days ago, I would say very good fitment compare to other sets. You just need to make sure light tight all clamps, adjust and tight them up really good, two people recommended.

Keep in mind, this is a muffler that hangs on rubber bushings, it's not like other truck parts precise bolt on. :)

View attachment 61422
All modern exhaust systems hang from rubber bushings, but that doesn’t mean you can’t expect a precise fit... and your tips look lower on the driver’s side :p Just busting your chops. Looks good(y)

shurik74

Reaction score
All modern exhaust systems hang from rubber bushings, but that doesn’t mean you can’t expect a precise fit... and your tips look lower on the driver’s side :p Just busting your chops. Looks good(y)
Actually my driver's side is perfect, but passengers need a little adjustment, learned that it needs some after a few days of install :)

STR

Reaction score
^^^ Kidding aside, I installed the exhaust on ramps, perfectly aligned the tips, pulled off the ramps and the tips jammed into the bumper. OK, lesson learned... aligned them again on a flat driveway, drove to Home Depot and back, and they were misaligned again. Aligned again, drove somewhere, misaligned... After several attempts I finally have them perfect... for good this time. After all of the attempts I discovered that you can make micro adjustments (about 1/4”) at the rear hangers where they attach to the frame. This might work out for your passenger side... Just loosen the two bolts (13mm) and pull down and retighten (y)

Last edited:

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score
So I finally got mine installed. As myself and someone else mentioned, the fit was not as smooth as they show in some install videos. Luckily, I was able to find a $19 exhaust pipe expander at Harbor Freight. I was gentle using it so I can take it back. Glad I choose the black tips. left1.jpg right1.jpg

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Looks like you got yours amazingly centered. I might have to try to adjust mine a little more. It’s not far off... but it is off.

Wadlum22

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread but figured this was a good place to put this. I just installed my s type and I'm just gonna say it, it's annoying. It sounds amazing from the outside but inside is just obnoxious. All of my cars have loud exhausts and I've had straight piped trucks etc. So I have a very open mind when it comes to something loud. I enjoy it and do it to every vehicle. I did a ton of research and narrowed it down to the s type. I wanted something a little toned down for this truck but enough to definitely hear it. Decided to spend a little more and go with borla because of their claim of no drone, but that's definitely not the case in my opinion. The drone is always there. It's not just exhaust sound, it's a drone. I know the difference. Even with mds off it's there. Pretty disappointed. Sort of wondering if it's defective based on the positive reviews I've seen. Or somehow the ANC is messing with the sound in the cab (no idea if that's even possible). Either way it doesn't sound good in the cab at all. Even when I open it and know it's going to be loud, the tone is an almost hollow sort of growl with an extremely unpleasant frequency. I have to turn my music up pretty loud while cruising jusf to drown it out, but even then I can still hear it. I feel like I could've got the same (or better) results with a $200 muffler delete. I'm torn between taking it off, or spending another $200 for the borla resonator, just to potentially have it still sound obnoxious. Anyone know if there's a break in period or something I could be missing? Again, I'm not new to loud exhausts. I wasn't expecting (or wanting) a quiet set up. I wanted something quality. Honestly don't feel like I got that.

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Really sorry to read this as I’ve had a couple of cutbacks and Borla was one of them. I opted to go with the Mopar catback which made my life much easier in my wife’s opinion lol. Sold off my Borla and have the Mopar in my garage as I sold my Laramie.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread but figured this was a good place to put this. I just installed my s type and I'm just gonna say it, it's annoying. It sounds amazing from the outside but inside is just obnoxious. All of my cars have loud exhausts and I've had straight piped trucks etc. So I have a very open mind when it comes to something loud. I enjoy it and do it to every vehicle. I did a ton of research and narrowed it down to the s type. I wanted something a little toned down for this truck but enough to definitely hear it. Decided to spend a little more and go with borla because of their claim of no drone, but that's definitely not the case in my opinion. The drone is always there. It's not just exhaust sound, it's a drone. I know the difference. Even with mds off it's there. Pretty disappointed. Sort of wondering if it's defective based on the positive reviews I've seen. Or somehow the ANC is messing with the sound in the cab (no idea if that's even possible). Either way it doesn't sound good in the cab at all. Even when I open it and know it's going to be loud, the tone is an almost hollow sort of growl with an extremely unpleasant frequency. I have to turn my music up pretty loud while cruising jusf to drown it out, but even then I can still hear it. I feel like I could've got the same (or better) results with a $200 muffler delete. I'm torn between taking it off, or spending another $200 for the borla resonator, just to potentially have it still sound obnoxious. Anyone know if there's a break in period or something I could be missing? Again, I'm not new to loud exhausts. I wasn't expecting (or wanting) a quiet set up. I wanted something quality. Honestly don't feel like I got that.
Swap it out for for the touring or add in the option resonator

Users who are viewing this thread