5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice for Tires on 2023 Limited

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi
I have a 2023 Limited and really want to replace the tires with something slightly more aggressive in look...a little larger to fill the well but most important, with the least amount of road noise. Just came out of a 2020 Rebel but was growing weary of the road noise on the Duratecs. I would like to stay in the 20" wheel...no real off roading.

Any advice or even a link to a thread would be appreciated. I have been reading all of the tire threads but most seem to discuss 22" and 18".

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! Appreciate the feedback they look good. Never heard of these before...how are they with rain?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I personally really like the newer Nitto Recon Grapplers and Toyo RT Trail tires! When searching for sizes try to find tires in standard load or D load for the best ride quality. One in particular that I’d recommend all day long is the Nitto Recon Grappler in 315/60r20 size! It’s a 35x12.50r20 tire that is standard load (the only standard load I’m aware of in this size) and extremely light for a 35” tire! You can definitely fit 35s on your limited with a simple spacer or if you have air suspension they make leveling links as well. That’s what I would do in your case :)

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am very happy with my Falken Wildpeak A/T3W P 275 /55 R20 117T. They are quiet, ride well and look great and are mountain/snowflake rated as well.

20210620_122858.jpg

tfdickson

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited, still very happy with this set up:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/they’re-on-lt285-60r20-on-2021-limited-no-lift-level-orp.46186/

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited, still very happy with this set up:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/they’re-on-lt285-60r20-on-2021-limited-no-lift-level-orp.46186/
love those...how is the road noise? Anything you wish you did differently?

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally really like the newer Nitto Recon Grapplers and Toyo RT Trail tires! When searching for sizes try to find tires in standard load or D load for the best ride quality. One in particular that I’d recommend all day long is the Nitto Recon Grappler in 315/60r20 size! It’s a 35x12.50r20 tire that is standard load (the only standard load I’m aware of in this size) and extremely light for a 35” tire! You can definitely fit 35s on your limited with a simple spacer or if you have air suspension they make leveling links as well. That’s what I would do in your case :)
The shop I went to for my tonneau cover also sells tires and recommended these as well but only talked about stock size. He quoted 290 a tire plus so came to like 1400 OTD. I do like the look of this tire. I do have air suspension. 35" seems rather large or larger than I am used to. My rebel I think had 33's? Does this size wreck fuel economy? Sorry for silly questions.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do like this tire. That is stock size correct? Any thoughts that you wish you would have gone slightly larger?
It is the stock size - I did not want to go any larger as I wanted to keep weight down and keep the truck "stock" since it is a lease. I am different than most folks it seems as I would actually prefer to have a 17" wheel with a tire with more sidewall but I think the 20's are a good compromise for looks, function etc. since I am not doing any serious off-roading anyway.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is the stock size - I did not want to go any larger as I wanted to keep weight down and keep the truck "stock" since it is a lease. I am different than most folks it seems as I would actually prefer to have a 17" wheel with a tire with more sidewall but I think the 20's are a good compromise for looks, function etc. since I am not doing any serious off-roading anyway.
Agreed. I had the rebel and never did offroading like I thought I would. Mine is a lease too but I have no problem moving away from stock if I like it and makes sense. I do miss the stance/height of the Rebel but not sure I want to do a lift.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
The shop I went to for my tonneau cover also sells tires and recommended these as well but only talked about stock size. He quoted 290 a tire plus so came to like 1400 OTD. I do like the look of this tire. I do have air suspension. 35" seems rather large or larger than I am used to. My rebel I think had 33's? Does this size wreck fuel economy? Sorry for silly questions.
Yeah I mean 35s are pretty big but they fit on our trucks with just a level! They would look and ride amazing with that extra sidewall and standard load rating. There’s definitely potential for it to lower fuel economy, but with them being so light weight compared to all other 35s I bet you’ll see less of a decrease than most people see. Hard to say really. My best guess would be probably 1.5-2mpg less than you get now which honestly doesn’t really add up that much when you do the math. I think it’s worth the look and comfort personally :)

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I mean 35s are pretty big but they fit on our trucks with just a level! They would look and ride amazing with that extra sidewall and standard load rating. There’s definitely potential for it to lower fuel economy, but with them being so light weight compared to all other 35s I bet you’ll see less of a decrease than most people see. Hard to say really. My best guess would be probably 1.5-2mpg less than you get now which honestly doesn’t really add up that much when you do the math. I think it’s worth the look and comfort personally :)
One last thing...I live in snow country. Assuming they are rated well for those conditions? Is this the size and tire on your truck now?

Jonathan19Limited

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the Recons in a SL 315/60r20? The tallest SL size I thought they made was 275/65/20 (34").

tfdickson

Reaction score
love those...how is the road noise? Anything you wish you did differently?

Road noise is undetectable below 40 mph, negligible above that (Low 90’s is as far as I’ve gone).

I‘m about 7000 miles in on this set up and wouldn’t change a thing.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
One last thing...I live in snow country. Assuming they are rated well for those conditions? Is this the size and tire on your truck now?
Ehhh to be honest I haven’t heard the best things about them for rain/snow. In my experience the best tires for that are either mild all terrains with tons of siping, or surprisingly mud terrains. It seems like a common complaint with the “hybrid” style tires is they’re not great in wet conditions. I had Toyo RT (hybrid style) tires before and they were bad in the rain compared to my Toyo MTs I have now. I’m running 37x13.50r18 Toyo MTs now haha so definitely bigger than a level can fit 😂 absolute minimum lift to fit my wheel setup without cutting the bumper or cab would be 5.5” lift. I’m at 5.7” lift and can barely fit one finger between the tire and the bumper, the tire and the cab, and less than 1 finger between the tire and the knuckle lol so I’m pretty much maxed out without hacking the body up…but I’ve never once had my tires rub anything even at full steering lock and articulating the suspension a bit 😉

Users who are viewing this thread