5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding valves to bypass the stock exhaust

Groffer

Reaction score
I purchased a 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie in 2023 and I'm looking to switch to a different type of exhaust for a more aggressive sound. I have a few common concerns that most people do:
  • Drone
  • Waking up the neighbors (I live in an apartment complex)
I don't dislike the stock exhaust, it has been nice for long drives to keep the noise in the cab down, but it would be nice to have the extra bite when I want it.
I looked into the exhaust dump valves, and I wasn't happy with the way they sounded, so I had the idea of adding valves to bypass the stock exhaust and go through a Magnaflow/Flowmaster setup (see the picture I attached)
I would have a shop weld it together for me and I could do the wiring myself with an Arduino/Raspberry pie so I could add switches in the cab. One of my concerns is both valves get stuck closed and suffocate the engine, so I could add a flow meter or sensors to verify that the valve opened correctly and I don't have ridiculous back pressure.

What does everyone think? Is this too complicated or do we think that it could work? I know the drawing would cause a reduction in flow so I would probably be losing engine power if I went this route.

Attachments

• Exhaust Setup.png
    Exhaust Setup.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 29

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie in 2023 and I'm looking to switch to a different type of exhaust for a more aggressive sound. I have a few common concerns that most people do:
  • Drone
  • Waking up the neighbors (I live in an apartment complex)
I don't dislike the stock exhaust, it has been nice for long drives to keep the noise in the cab down, but it would be nice to have the extra bite when I want it.
I looked into the exhaust dump valves, and I wasn't happy with the way they sounded, so I had the idea of adding valves to bypass the stock exhaust and go through a Magnaflow/Flowmaster setup (see the picture I attached)
I would have a shop weld it together for me and I could do the wiring myself with an Arduino/Raspberry pie so I could add switches in the cab. One of my concerns is both valves get stuck closed and suffocate the engine, so I could add a flow meter or sensors to verify that the valve opened correctly and I don't have ridiculous back pressure.

What does everyone think? Is this too complicated or do we think that it could work? I know the drawing would cause a reduction in flow so I would probably be losing engine power if I went this route.
Providing there is enough room for the flow-master, why not just use one valve for it and leave the stock open.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Providing there is enough room for the flow-master, why not just use one valve for it and leave the stock open.
I doubt there will be enough room for two mufflers, especially with the huge stock one in place.

What about a small tame muffler for traveling and a straight pipe bypass?

Groffer

Reaction score
I doubt there will be enough room for two mufflers, especially with the huge stock one in place.

What about a small tame muffler for traveling and a straight pipe bypass?
I think I'd like to keep the stock muffler as an option if I could fit it under there. I might be able to move the stock muffler closer to the front and squeeze a parallel 3" pipe by it so I can offset the Flowmaster toward the back axle. I don't have the front resonator like the 2019 and 2020s do so that shouldn't be an issue.

My biggest concern is putting too much back pressure on the engine

Groffer

Reaction score
I like that idea, it seems more simple than using two. I wonder if this would create a weird case where the frequencies combine and amplify when they hit a certain Hz if the flow is still going through both

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like that idea, it seems more simple than using two. I wonder if this would create a weird case where the frequencies combine and amplify when they hit a certain Hz if the flow is still going through both
Well, "combine and amplify" is a bonus in my line of work, you can always add the second valve later on if needed.

Groffer

Reaction score
Well, "combine and amplify" is a bonus in my line of work, you can always add the second valve later on if needed.
Lol fair enough, I was more getting at the drone inside the cab. I was thinking about the 40 Series Delta Flow and taking off the rear resonators, especially since I'd still have the stock option on there.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol fair enough, I was more getting at the drone inside the cab. I was thinking about the 40 Series Delta Flow and taking off the rear resonators, especially since I'd still have the stock option on there.
Pretty sure no one here has done that before, keep us posted on how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread