5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Rear Console USBs

klemo

Reaction score
I thought some trucks had “USB 3” in the back that transfers data and the other one in the back was just charge only? I don’t have Lvl2 so I’m basing this only on what I’ve seen/thought. Could have been wrong the whole time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brental1

Reaction score
Rear USBs only come charge only.
Thank you. I bought this panel ,used, to add to my truck. I don't know what year it came from; but I thought the USB symbol on Port 3 indicates it's a data port? If so, maybe earlier years had rear data? Also there are 2 USB connectors on the back of the panel. They are keyed opposite. I'm going to experiment to see it using one or the other connector will provide data.

Attachments

• thumbnail (9).jpg
    thumbnail (9).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 44
  • thumbnail (8).jpg
    thumbnail (8).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 43

brental1

Reaction score
I just added a 115V outlet to the front of my center console. Pictures 1 and 2 are from the 'hidden' side of the panel showing the area marked for the cutout. 3 and 4 show the visible side with the cutout made and the outlet installed. I'm trying to decide where to add an additional 12V outlet. Opinions on picture 5?

Attachments

• thumbnail (7).jpg
    thumbnail (7).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 41
  • thumbnail (6).jpg
    thumbnail (6).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 36
  • thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 34
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 39
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 40

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you. I bought this panel ,used, to add to my truck. I don't know what year it came from; but I thought the USB symbol on Port 3 indicates it's a data port? If so, maybe earlier years had rear data? Also there are 2 USB connectors on the back of the panel. They are keyed opposite. I'm going to experiment to see it using one or the other connector will provide data.
Maybe older models did have full USB. That build sheet was from a Jan 23 built Limited, with a $83,100 sticker, that I didn't accept, but still have the VIN, to look up build sheet. If it didn't have it, I can't imagine any have it any more.

6of36

Reaction score
I just added a 115V outlet to the front of my center console. Pictures 1 and 2 are from the 'hidden' side of the panel showing the area marked for the cutout. 3 and 4 show the visible side with the cutout made and the outlet installed. I'm trying to decide where to add an additional 12V outlet. Opinions on picture 5?
As long as there is clearance, I would go opposite the factory USBs. It would be symmetrical.

6of36

Reaction score
Don't understand what you mean by "opposite"?
The one 12v is right of the USBs. I'm thinking opposite side, left of the USBs, as long as there is clearance behind to accommodate.

brental1

Reaction score
The one 12v is right of the USBs. I'm thinking opposite side, left of the USBs, as long as there is clearance behind to accommodate.
Understand now. There is no existing 12V in this area--the only 12V is in the top of the IP. I'm adding one, and just set it in place where I am considering locating it. (There are no 'cutout outlines" for a 12 V like there was for the 115 Volt; so I guess the developers considered having only one 12V, at the top of the IP.)

6of36

Reaction score
Understand now. There is no existing 12V in this area--the only 12V is in the top of the IP. I'm adding one, and just set it in place where I am considering locating it. (There are no 'cutout outlines" for a 12 V like there was for the 115 Volt; so I guess the developers considered having only one 12V, at the top of the IP.)
With so many USBs, and available wireless charging, not that many needs for a 12V outlet. There are a few accessories that require 12V, but pretty much everything I own, uses USB for power. They will soon go the way of the 8 track, and CD player.

brental1

Reaction score
With so many USBs, and available wireless charging, not that many needs for a 12V outlet. There are a few accessories that require 12V, but pretty much everything I own, uses USB for power. They will soon go the way of the 8 track, and CD player.
You're right. The only thing I need 12V for is my cooler. I don't like the power cord running from the top of the IP to the cooler. Of course I could live with it; but it bothers me enough that I'm adding another 12V in the console to be able to more the cord out of the way.

brental1

Reaction score
Thanks. However, I already bought 68523474AA with has provision for heated/vented rear seats and 115V outlet; but it did not include the USB cable. I was looking for the USB cable only. Don't really want to spend another $90+ for 68387136AB just to take the USB cable out of it--especially since the OP was only able to make the rear USBs charge only.
I bought this Delco cable in the picture to interconnect my existing USB jacks in the front of the console to the ones I added in the rear. Still not sure how the terminals are identified; but black is keyed one way, and gray is keyed opposite. I used the black terminal to plug into the center (unused) jack in the front USB panel. The terminal at the opposite end of the cable is gray. It plugged into the center terminal of the rear USB panel. The cable was the exact length I needed. Now I have charge only USBs in the rear of the console. While I'm fine with that, I just wonder if the cable had the black connector on the other end, and if I plugged it into the other terminal, if USB Jack 3 (has data symbol) would have data. Just noticed the Heat/Vent seat switches I added are not illuminated. Wondering what's wrong--why the seat switches aren't lighting but the USB panel is.

Attachments

• Rear panel illuminated.jpg
    Rear panel illuminated.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Rear panel USB 3.jpg
    Rear panel USB 3.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Rear USB.jpg
    Rear USB.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Front USB.jpg
    Front USB.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 40
  • thumbnail (9).jpg
    thumbnail (9).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 41

maasman

Reaction score
Anyone know how to remove the center console end cap piece that brental1 posted with the red outline in the pic? I am replacing the rear power outlet (broken cap) and I'm almost there but there seem to be clips or screws on the sides still holding it in that I can't figure out for fear of breaking it...see pic - top & bottom clips are out it's just the damn sides now; so close.

Attachments

• Rear USB Console.jpg
    Rear USB Console.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 23

brental1

Reaction score
Anyone know how to remove the center console end cap piece that brental1 posted with the red outline in the pic? I am replacing the rear power outlet (broken cap) and I'm almost there but there seem to be clips or screws on the sides still holding it in that I can't figure out for fear of breaking it...see pic - top & bottom clips are out it's just the damn sides now; so close.
Here's a shot of the inside. There are 2 screws at the bottom (yellow file handle pointer). So, I think you need to remove the entire end cap of the console to get to these 2 screws.

Attachments

• 20231115_211323.jpg
    20231115_211323.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 23

brental1

Reaction score
Here's a shot of the inside. There are 2 screws at the bottom (yellow file handle pointer). So, I think you need to remove the entire end cap of the console to get to these 2 screws.
You may be able to get to these 2 screws by removing the 6 screws that hold the console in place; then lift the console up and work under it. But, probably easier to just remove the entire end cap. There are 3 clips on each side of the end cap, and one clip in the bottom center; 7 clips total.

Jackster240

Reaction score
You're right. The only thing I need 12V for is my cooler. I don't like the power cord running from the top of the IP to the cooler. Of course I could live with it; but it bothers me enough that I'm adding another 12V in the console to be able to more the cord out of the way.
Were you able to add the 12 volt plug?
I wanted to do that to my truck also for the cooler.
Where did you connect to 12 volts?
thanks

brental1

Reaction score
Yes, I added it, to the of the right of the USB jacks. I THINK I tapped into the wire that powers the 12V outlet at the top of the IP. I MAY have run a new wire from the Power Distribution Center. I didn't document it, and I can't remember. I can look tomorrow to see how I ran it. I also added a 115V in the bottom of the console storage area. There was an outline molded into thr back of the panel. I followed this outline when I cut the square hole for the 115V outlet.

Attachments

• 12V in console.jpg
    12V in console.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 115V in console.jpg
    115V in console.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread