5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt FCA would every release a kit to add passive entry considering all the possible color combinations and w/ or w/o chrome. If it every did happen it would be years down the road in other words don't hold your breath. Hopefully they take some pity and will let dealers add the sales code.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Color is not even the problem... I'm sure they can do a chrome handle and sell just chrome... They just don't want us to have it. you want it? get a Laramie...

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s f-ed up they won’t provide a way for owners to either
1) allow owners to add sales code
2) allow dealers to add sales code
3) allow owners to retrieve login pins for RF hub to permit key programming, or do our own RF hub refresh so we can enable things like passive entry on own like worked on 4th gen trucks.
4) I don’t even like the fact pcms require special service to be unlocked - what if your Pcm dies one day. Now you HAVE to go to dealer. You can get a junkyard or eBay one and vin code it yourself if it’s locked.

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
If I was a dealer I’d definitely be in FCA’s ear about this. I’d pay out of pocket a lot of money for the parts/coding/install if they could do it all - even without a ‘kit.’ Probably more than the extra money the dealer gets for selling a Laramie vs a loaded Big Horn.

WheelerNation

Reaction score
My parts shipped finally and expected this Saturday hopefully I can figure out the harness install on my own lol.

Rons5thgen

Reaction score
I am asking for some more technical info. The wiring harness that is the problem, is there no way to modify the existing harness? If not, for some reason, why is a new harness needed? Is there no way to get pins for the existing harness plug ends?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am asking for some more technical info. The wiring harness that is the problem, is there no way to modify the existing harness? If not, for some reason, why is a new harness needed? Is there no way to get pins for the existing harness plug ends?
I believe someone did modify the existing harness, it is somewhere in this thread after swifty was able to get FCA to do what was needed, not that far back.

Bram2019

Reaction score
The harness in the door can be modified if you know what you are doing. It requires 2 male pins for the door post, a special plug for the door handle and the ability to make a good harness all soldered and heat shrunk together ideally with twisted pair wire. Or you could run new wires all the way from the door handles to the RFH. That is the issue why FCA is leary about activating the sales code for these trucks. Too much hacking out there. Guys doing only 1 door, no sensor in the tailgate, etc. Bad wiring. This can create unwanted other problems generating fault codes elsewhere. If you are not well versed in doing this, I suggest you buy the door harnesses.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I modified my harness. Didn't buy the Mopar part. No one has it in stock.

For "how to", check out posts:

Bram2019

Reaction score
I think the right door is the same for 2019 and 2020. I think the drivers door for 2019 is 68361307ac which fits most trucks. Both are available. The drivers 2020 is not available. Don't know what the difference is. Probably pinned different. I don't know if it matters at this point if you can't get the code added to your truck.

parnine

Reaction score
There is not a single harness for 2019s, the harness depends upon your configuration, for example what speakers do you have, what other 'features' do you have that depend upon hardware in the door that needs to be connected (via wires) to the main wiring in the truck. You need the harness part number for your specific 2019 configuration. Or as MannyHen did, run your own wires (2) from the new handle through the door to the chassis door connector.

Per FedEx my parts are to arrive today :) - originally I was going to run a wire and save some $s, but ended up ordering the harness (that then ended up causing a total screw up with my order and delay).

For a BigHorn, Level 2, 6 Speaker (or 9 I believe, but not the 19), 68360301AD is the Driver harness - at least that is what I ordered, so should find out this weekend.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you again to @Swifty for all the help, from adding the code to the VIN to getting part #s to helping with wiring the handle to the body harness. Thank you for your support.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm when they are doing their harness, I'm curious if the door lock/latch mechanism is a single 4 pin inline connector, or a double 4-pin inline connector. My door latch is a single 4-pin, but my new harness was a double 4-pin (so 8-pins with 5-wires used). I ended up splicing the connector from my old harness to the new harness. But I'm curious for when I go to do the passenger door, if I should gamble with a new harness or not. If I'm in there soldering and stuff already, I might as well just run my own wires.

Just curious what you other folks are finding.

Also, for what its worth, I only did my driver door so far. And it works great. I do have 2 faults stored, which I really dont care about for the time being. I have an Antenna 5 open circuit (which is the tailgate antenna missing) and I have passenger door handle sensor open circuit (I didn't do passenger door yet). Not sure if I will honestly. Dont know that it would ever get used. And The way my grand Cherokee works with factory passive, is if someone is over there, the handle doesn't work - the key fob has to be physically on that side of the vehicle for the buttons to work. So passenger would need key fob in their pocket for the passenger side to work. I've verified this with grand Cherokee, so I'm assuming our trucks are the same.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you again to @Swifty for all the help, from adding the code to the VIN to getting part #s to helping with wiring the handle to the body harness. Thank you for your support.

what kind of watch you got there? I'm a watch nut and that looks nice!

Bram2019

Reaction score
There is not a single harness for 2019s, the harness depends upon your configuration, for example what speakers do you have, what other 'features' do you have that depend upon hardware in the door that needs to be connected (via wires) to the main wiring in the truck. You need the harness part number for your specific 2019 configuration. Or as MannyHen did, run your own wires (2) from the new handle through the door to the chassis door connector.

Per FedEx my parts are to arrive today :) - originally I was going to run a wire and save some $s, but ended up ordering the harness (that then ended up causing a total screw up with my order and delay).

For a BigHorn, Level 2, 6 Speaker (or 9 I believe, but not the 19), 68360301AD is the Driver harness - at least that is what I ordered, so should find out this weekend.
You are correct. The real difference generally is whether you have 19 speaker system or the 6/9 system. There are different harnesses. Hopefully your is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online