5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Does anybody know if it's possible to add passive entry to a truck? I messed up and didn't check to make sure it came with it, I kind of assumed since it said keyless go it would come with it, but I guess it's called passive entry.

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
I find it rather puzzling that they would go through the effort to install keyless go without adding the proximity sensors for the passive entry in the doors. They key fobs are already set for proximity sense. It comes with the passive entry on the Laramie and Limited versions. In the past they have called it the "Keyless Enter & Go" system, so when I saw Keyless Go I thought it had it as well. In the past, aftermarket companies sold kits to add it, but I have not seen any updated versions for the new 2019 5thGen.

I think the two biggest mistakes that FCA made with the new version was not including the passive entry and the lack of HD radio and enhanced SirriusXM features on the non-nav units.

KRField

Reaction score
I find it rather puzzling that they would go through the effort to install keyless go without adding the proximity sensors for the passive entry in the doors. They key fobs are already set for proximity sense. It comes with the passive entry on the Laramie and Limited versions. In the past they have called it the "Keyless Enter & Go" system, so when I saw Keyless Go I thought it had it as well. In the past, aftermarket companies sold kits to add it, but I have not seen any updated versions for the new 2019 5thGen.

I think the two biggest mistakes that FCA made with the new version was not including the passive entry and the lack of HD radio and enhanced SirriusXM features on the non-nav units.

There are a lot of things that are puzzling! I don’t know how things standard on previous models become options going forward. I have never seen or heard of companies doing this. The biggest fiasco was the tow mirrors IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s just games manufacturers play to make you step up to a higher profit model.

Think about what really separates a Tradesman from a Limited. Sure, there is tech, definitely luxury with finer materials but mechanically, not a lot different. Are those difference really worth near $30k? Heck no, they’re high profit items. Not knocking anyone who has a decked out vehicle, we all buy what we like but manufacturers REALLY like it when we buy the top models.

RichInMN

Reaction score
I would think the best bet would be
1) Find the wiring that "wakes up" and carries 12v when Keyless Go senses you are near
2) Relay that power over to the door unlock wire
Of course, this is where someone reminds me that everything in this truck is controlled by computer, and it's an impossibility to just trigger door locks with a 12v pulse to the actuators???

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
Unfortunately the passive entry system utilizes proximity sensors that are very short range. In other words, you have to be inside the car for the ignition to sense. In the passive entry system, vehicles use sensor modules in the door to detect near field keys. Basically that means that passive entry only works when your right next to the door. For example, standing at the back door with the key fob and someone touching the front door will not unlock the door. It is done for security reasons. Bottom line, you would have to add the sensors to the door, as well as add the contact strip in the handle.

KRField

Reaction score
It’s just games manufacturers play to make you step up to a higher profit model.

Think about what really separates a Tradesman from a Limited. Sure, there is tech, definitely luxury with finer materials but mechanically, not a lot different. Are those difference really worth near $30k? Heck no, they’re high profit items. Not knocking anyone who has a decked out vehicle, we all buy what we like but manufacturers REALLY like it when we buy the top models.

I completely agree. It just doesn’t make sense in staying in the same trim level from year to year did you lose features on a new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeb9182

Reaction score
I literally almost walked away from getting my truck because of this. I had it on my 2017 sport, and got a 2019 Big Horn. It is the one thing that genuinely annoys me every day. I understand why they do it, but on a $54k vehicle it should be standard.

1 in 10 times I walk up to the truck and actually remember to take the keys out of my pocket. The other 9 times I grab the handle and realize it’s not opening.

onelochevy

Reaction score
Im the same way. My daily commuter is Buick Verano with the keyless perimeter sensors. Didnt even realize my Ram didnt have it until I got it home an went out to open the door with the fob in my pocket. It annoys the hell out of me that vehicles with push button start do not have this feature. If im taking my fob out of my pocket to open the door, I may as well stick a key in an ignition.

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
Im the same way. My daily commuter is Buick Verano with the keyless perimeter sensors. Didnt even realize my Ram didnt have it until I got it home an went out to open the door with the fob in my pocket. It annoys the hell out of me that vehicles with push button start do not have this feature. If im taking my fob out of my pocket to open the door, I may as well stick a key in an ignition.
EXACTLY!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Attn FCA: I hope you're listening!

krakenatwork

Reaction score
Well, I should say I'm really disappointed. My parent's Chrysler 200 from a few years ago had keyless entry stock and it's not a fully equipped car (on the contrary, it's got mostly basic features).

At least with the Big Horn L2 and trailer towing packages I should get heated tow mirrors (if I read in the brochure correctly).

OP: if you ever find out about a retrofit, let us know.

ALBOY29

Reaction score
Glad i found this thread.
It puzzles me that On by Window Sticker it shows Keyless Go & keyless Entry... Then when i go to the "Ram Owner Support" website and it links to my Vin # It shows a video titled" Keyless GO How to use" And it shows keyless entry door handles.. I spent a good 2 hours searching online thinking this was an option I paid for and it wasn't added.

brdima

Reaction score
Well, I should say I'm really disappointed. My parent's Chrysler 200 from a few years ago had keyless entry stock and it's not a fully equipped car (on the contrary, it's got mostly basic features).

At least with the Big Horn L2 and trailer towing packages I should get heated tow mirrors (if I read in the brochure correctly).

OP: if you ever find out about a retrofit, let us know.
are you sure about those heated mirrors? I have same setup, and NO heat

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
So far through the research I've done it doesn't look to possible for me. However, the dealers lead technician said you can buy the parts and he could reprogram the computer to read everything right, but that dealership won't allow him to do that kind of stuff. Adding on features to already purchased trucks makes it harder to just sell the unhappy customer a new one.

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
Glad i found this thread.
It puzzles me that On by Window Sticker it shows Keyless Go & keyless Entry... Then when i go to the "Ram Owner Support" website and it links to my Vin # It shows a video titled" Keyless GO How to use" And it shows keyless entry door handles.. I spent a good 2 hours searching online thinking this was an option I paid for and it wasn't added.

They changed the terminology from "Keyless Entry" to "Passive Entry" to differentiate between a key fob that remotely unlocks without a physical key to open the door and the system that opens by touching the handle. In the past they referred to the passive entry system as "Keyless Entry" as part of the "Keyless Enter & Go" package that was found on cars like the 2014 and 2016 Dodge Charger as well as the 2016 Jeep Renegade Limited. This confusion in terminology is why, myself included, thought that since it had the keyless go it also had the keyless (passive) entry.

They also made a mistake with some of the documentation on the non-nav radio. In some places it states it has HD radio, and other places it says it doesnt. I guess this is the growing pains of a brand new body style.

krakenatwork

Reaction score
are you sure about those heated mirrors? I have same setup, and NO heat
Well I hope so, as I saw it written in the brochure (I'd scan it but it 's in french). It's the Canadian brochure, I don't know if the options are different on both sides of the border.

In the brochure:
standard on the tradesman:
black 6X9 mirrors, remotely adjustable, heated, manually folding

Standard on the Big Horn with either L1 or L2 pkg, standard on the rebel:
black 6X9 mirrors, remotely adjustable, heated, electric folding, auto-dimming, side-signal and courtesy lighting

Standard on big-horn, Laramie, Longhorn, Limited:
chromed 6X9 mirrors, remotely adjustable, heated, electric folding, auto-dimming, side-signal, courtesy lighting and memory (memory not available on big-horn)

Standard on Sport and Laramie with Sport appearance package:
Body color 6X9 mirrors, remotely adjustable, heated, electric folding, auto-dimming, side-signal, courtesy lighting and memory

Standard on Tradesman w/tow package, Sport w/tow package and Rebel w/tow package:
Black 7X11 towing mirrors, remotely adjustable, manually folding, may include courtesy lightning and side-signal.

Standard on Big Horn w/tow package, Laramie w/tow package, Longhorn w/tow package and Limited w/tow package:
Chromed 7X11 towing mirrors, remotely adjustable, heated, manually folding, may include courtesy lightning, side-signal and memory.

IMG_20190310_173536.jpg

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
If you register with the Mopar owners website, it gives you access to the standard and additional features that came on your truck. It would state if you had heated mirrors. I was under the impression that all the vehicles in all the trim levels had heated mirrors.

Wedgeajt

Reaction score
Any update on adding keyless entry? I thought mine had that too. Would love to add.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jmr

Reaction score
Unless passive entry is in a Mopar accessory kit you will not be able to add the sales codes to your vin to wake up the circuit.
I can't add heated mirrors to my Bighorn even though it's standard on it. The trailer tow package removed that option.
FCA are you listening???? Change this policy please!!! Let us retrofit our trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread