5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I think with aflaOBD you would just tell the BCM to enable the feature since that is how people are enabling the trailer brake and the led bed lights among other things without having the sales code added by the dealer. The question would be does that option exist within alfaOBD? I'm going to download it on my surface and see what I can find.

Swifty

Reaction score
@tdb00021 once they do the restore vehicle configuration settings will show upon radio to turn it on and off also we charge 89.95 to do this don’t know what others charge an easy hour for technician

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
This is what i think the main problem is. Alpha OBD has no way of communicating the the FCA database...witech does a restore based on what's in the online database, alphaobd can do a restore but it most likely restores to your stock configuration that I supposed is stored in the BCM or the app somewhere. I think you can do "offsite" witech restore, you just need the tool, a login, and internet. I haven't done it but it couldn't possibly take more than a few minutes to do. Unfortunately this means most of us will have to leave our truck at the dealer for half a day with explicit instructions on what to do. What I'm afraid might happen is I take the truck in and they "attempt to restore it" or not at all and say it's not possible to add the feature. This is when having friends at the dealer is beneficial...

but hey...this wasn't even remotely possible a week or so ago, so we can't complain too much about the process now, whatever it may be
My dealer is very easy to work with, i went there, told him i needed a vehicle config restore and he asked me right away "What did you add? lol", i said passive entry and he said nice! took them 25 minutes and i was out of there... Not before we made sure that the right code was added...

Swifty

Reaction score
My dealer is very easy to work with, i went there, told him i needed a vehicle config restore and he asked me right away "What did you add? lol", i said passive entry and he said nice! took them 25 minutes and i was out of there... Not before we made sure that the right code was added...
Mannyhen I verify the codes before I even tell y’all they have been added in case my guy fat fingered the keyboard
In the current environment we find ourselves in most dealers are happy to get any work they can are you still waiting on handle?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Mannyhen I verify the codes before I even tell y’all they have been added in case my guy fat fingered the keyboard
In the current environment we find ourselves in most dealers are happy to get any work they can
I've never had doubts! You're a pro!

tdb0021

Reaction score

did you enable the feature in alphaobd first or did you take your truck in outright and the config restore did everything you need? i am waiting on hardware but i guess i can go ahead and get my dealer to flash the truck

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just to confirm, alfaobd can't do a config restore. the 4th gen guys used to use alfa to enable the options in bcm, and the workaround was to do the rf-hub "replace" command, and this would make the rf-hub pick up the new bcm settings on the canbus. But, alfaobd won't do the rf-hub "replace" on the 19's. So, its a witech/pod/dealer only (for now anyways).

Thanks again Swifty for helping us out. I can't wait to get this working. I"m waiting on the caps to come in, and then get into a dealer.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
did you enable the feature in alphaobd first or did you take your truck in outright and the config restore did everything you need? i am waiting on hardware but i guess i can go ahead and get my dealer to flash the truck
you don't need to do anything in alfa. When dealer does restore, everything gets updated.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
You just need the the dealer magic for that, no additional programming needed.

EDIT: while i wrote my answer, @mike_ct answered the right answer also... so it's confirmed ;)

tdb0021

Reaction score
You just need the the dealer magic for that, no additional programming needed.

I might be calling my dealer tomorrow then. Does the truck do anything weird if the software is enabled but hardware not installed?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I might be calling my dealer tomorrow then. Does the truck do anything weird if the software is enabled but hardware not installed?
Didn't notice anything weird... You had Swifty working on your vin to add the GXD code?

Swifty

Reaction score
Can have the restore done prior to installing hardware and then when installed it will work
Don’t have to have to wait for hardware to be installed first

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score

So you have fully functioning passive entry now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Not rf-hub restore its “Restore vehicle configuration” this is what you ask them to do when you go in they connect to FCA via witech2 download the configuration and write it to your vehicle
Yes, right. That's what I asked.

Users who are viewing this thread