5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

RaiedZ

Reaction score
Working on making my wire harnesses! How long do these bad boys need to be?

RaiedZ

Reaction score
Okay these door handle connectors and terminals are kicking my butt. It’s like the 18 gauge wire is too big for the terminal but I’m going by what the guide says so should be right and the terminals fit the shell.
I can’t get the terminals to stay locked into the shell. I insert them all the way and then push down the locking clip but they slide right out.

need some help!
Door Handle Connector Shell: Yazaki 7283-6079-30
Door Handle Connector Shell Terminals: Yazaki 7116-4720-02

Attachments

• A210F56E-FA27-4941-823B-3A153816A93F.jpeg
    A210F56E-FA27-4941-823B-3A153816A93F.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 6001B658-DFE8-49A5-8ECE-3A180853AA8D.jpeg
    6001B658-DFE8-49A5-8ECE-3A180853AA8D.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 121

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Working on making my wire harnesses! How long do these bad boys need to be?
Where did you get the yakuza pieces?? I’d offer assistance ever I have zero experience.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay these door handle connectors and terminals are kicking my butt. It’s like the 18 gauge wire is too big for the terminal but I’m going by what the guide says so should be right and the terminals fit the shell.
I can’t get the terminals to stay locked into the shell. I insert them all the way and then push down the locking clip but they slide right out.

need some help!
The terminals are keyed, so there’s only one way they’ll lock in. If they don’t easily slide in until you hear a distinct clicking noise, then you’re inserting them the wrong way.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score

need some help!
Not an expert on this specific terminal but are similar. If the terminal inserts all the way but doesn't lock it a good chance the locking tab on terminal was flattened out while crimping on the terminal and usually can be pryed out.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

RyanZ

Reaction score
The terminals are keyed, so there’s only one way they’ll lock in. If they don’t easily slide in until you hear a distinct clicking noise, then you’re inserting them the wrong way.
Correct they only fit one way and yeah I'm not getting the click, I think its the locking tab then, has to be lol. They are pressed in for sure on all of them, so let me try to take a pick and push them up..

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct they only fit one way and yeah I'm not getting the click, I think its the locking tab then, has to be lol. They are pressed in for sure on all of them, so let me try to take a pick and push them up..
There is no tab on the terminal itself, but rather a depression. It is the connector that has a plastic tab that locks into the depression on the terminal. My guess is the plastic tab inside the connector is broke off.

RyanZ

Reaction score
There is no tab on the terminal itself, but rather a depression. It is the connector that has a plastic tab that locks into the depression on the terminal. My guess is the plastic tab inside the connector is broke off.
I'll try another connector then, I felt like I did last night and it was doing the same thing though. The Antenna connector I felt the click and it locked so this was throwing me for a loop.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i think i will be starting on this mod asa i can im tired of digging in my pocket coming out of lowes/home depot/grocery store etc...here i come @Jimmy07 for the harnesses...

calberto

Reaction score
Hello new to the site, and also new to trucks. Went from a Focus ST to my 2020 RAM 1500 Big Horn, with level 1 package and the HEMI. I am looking to do this upgrade as I miss it terribly from my ST. Not afraid of doing the work myself, I just don't want to deal with the harness extensions since time is limited with a 10 month old running amok in the house. Would anyone be willing to help out with them, of course I would pay for the harnesses.
It's crazy that with the push start system they didn't just make the proximity entry standard! They already needed most of the hardware in the car!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i think i will be starting on this mod asa i can im tired of digging in my pocket coming out of lowes/home depot/grocery store etc...here i come @Jimmy07 for the harnesses...
Can't help with the passive entry but the digging in pocket I can.
see post #2

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't help with the passive entry but the digging in pocket I can.
see post #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ar15rifle

Reaction score
Has anyone learned if this will work for the 2500s yet? I switch to the 2500 from an Audi and I can't stand not having passive entry.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone learned if this will work for the 2500s yet? I switch to the 2500 from an Audi and I can't stand not having passive entry.
Yes, it will work for the 2500s. The handles are completely different than the 1500s, so don’t use any of those part numbers posted. The rear antenna connector should already be present In a dummy plug for you to just plug the antenna into.

Rhombus

Reaction score
I have my rear antenna now. Is there any polarity to the wires? I.e., can Either wire from the antenna go to either of the two pins on the connector? Thanks.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have my rear antenna now. Is there any polarity to the wires? I.e., can Either wire from the antenna go to either of the two pins on the connector? Thanks.
No, you can’t switch the wires around. One is signal, and the other is return. In the third or fourth post, it shows the connector views, wire colors, etc.

moparleo51

Reaction score
So ? Everyone doing this mod to there nonpassive entry trucks. Do you a have 2020 rams that are doing this or does it work for the 2019 as well? I hear there's different wiring. .thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread