5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding lane-sense to a Laramie.

RBurr

Reaction score
I know there is a really good thread about adding ACC, Blind spot monitoring, and Lane-assist. I've read through a bunch of it several times and I still come away confused.

I'd like to add Lane-assit to my Laramie. I already have the Auto high-beam control, blind spot and cross-path detection, park sense with stop, Rain sensitive windshield wipers, full speed forward collision warning plus, and the 12" Uconnect with navigation.

What else do I need?

Thanks
Bob

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd like to add the intelligent cruise control. But I don't have the 12" screen either.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to add the intelligent cruise control. But I don't have the 12" screen either.
Adaptive cruise control is a separate feature than lane sense, and the radio type/size is irrelevant to adding adaptive cruise. The following thread has all the info you need on adding adaptive cruise:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can I just add the bezel for the screen

There's not a "soft button" in the menu I can use instead of having to change out the center stack?
Nope. In a nutshell, there’s no way around having to buy the correct 12” screen that has the physical button.
What year is your truck? If it’s a 2019-2021, the correct screen is only $470, then you’ll recoup some selling the screen you have. If it’s a 2022, the correct screen is $700

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lane-Assist on the Ram sucks... Buy a Kia or Hyundai if you want one that actually works
^^^^ THIS. It does suck and IMHO is not worth adding. ACC on the other hand, while far from perfect, is far more worthwhile.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lane-Assist on the Ram sucks... Buy a Kia or Hyundai if you want one that actually works
Add a Comma3 to the Mix and the RAM will drive similar to a Tesla. Two weeks ago we got the Steer to Zero MPH
working for the 1500, and now we are getting it to work on the HD trucks.

Full Thread on the Comma:

Malodave

RBurr

Reaction score
Add a Comma3 to the Mix and the RAM will drive similar to a Tesla. Two weeks ago we got the Steer to Zero MPH
working for the 1500, and now we are getting it to work on the HD trucks.

Full Thread on the Comma:

Malodave
That’s the plan, but I believe I need either ACC or the lane assist for the comma to work.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s the plan, but I believe I need either ACC or the lane assist for the comma to work.
Yes, you need both until Comma come out with the Long control.

Going to take my first long drive with the Comma3 from NH to Detroit, then on
to Mt Vernon IL and then back to NH

Malodave

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Malodave
Curious how that goes...a trip report will be much appreciated! Trying to decide if the Comma3 is worth the money for me.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious how that goes...a trip report will be much appreciated! Trying to decide if the Comma3 is worth the money for me.
I know that it seems very expensive, but the Tesla Option is $10K. The Comma3 can move to any supported Vehicle.
Which is 190+ supported. We are about to get the HD trucks fully supported too.

Malodave

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually just got back from a 1500 mile round trip with my 2017 HD Ram and travel trailer. The comma did all the work for ~90% of the drive. Just had to put my hand on the wheel for a few of the sharper curves.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually just got back from a 1500 mile round trip with my 2017 HD Ram and travel trailer. The comma did all the work for ~90% of the drive. Just had to put my hand on the wheel for a few of the sharper curves.
Impressive!! Does Comma account for the trailer via the BCM?

RBurr

Reaction score

Malodave
Commas website doesn’t mention lane assist just the ACC. Do you know if maybe this has changed?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything I have seen is that using a Comma requires you to have ACC AND Lane Keep Assist.

Stock LKA really does suck and there is no way I would bother adding it to a truck that didn't come with it unless I was also adding ACC. And even then...

If I had a truck without LKA, that means it doesn't have ACC, either, as far as I know. In that case, I would just trade my truck in for one that has those things. PARTLY because when anything in any of that breaks, I would want it to be factory-installed and covered by warranty.

I have a Comma 2. I have driven about 4000 miles with it now and it is awesome. Especially since they got steer-to-zero working. I bought the C2 used, for $500 (less than $600, all in, with shipping, a wiring harness connector, and a mirror mount). $2200 for a new Comma 3 (w/wiring harness) would be a tough pill to swallow. As long as there are still used C2s out there, I'll probably stick with those.

But, can you imagine how it could go for you if you had an accident while you had a Comma hooked up to your truck and it turned out that the Comma was setup to use ACC and LKA that you installed yourself?! Even if the Comma was not engaged at the time of the accident, and even if you could PROVE that, I think an opposing attorney could still make you look very bad. "An irresponsible monster that doesn't care about the safety of other drivers."

Self driving vehicles are still a pretty new thing. I imagine there are going to be a lot of cases hitting the courts over the new few years dealing with many different aspects of how they work. And, in any case where there is any debate over whether the problem should be blamed on the driver or the autopilot device, I expect that you can count on the device manufacturer to show up with their lawyers working hard to prove that the liability is on you, the driver, not on the device at all.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Commas website doesn’t mention lane assist just the ACC. Do you know if maybe this has changed?

I could totally be wrong, but I have never seen an option to buy a RAM 1500 with ACC that didn't include LKA. So, maybe the Comma site doesn't mention LKA because it is their understanding that if you have ACC that means you automatically do have LKA. No need to call it out separately.

Users who are viewing this thread