5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Factory brake controller?

acat

Reaction score
I printed off your worksheet, and showed him...................min charge for programming is $165....
I'll be looking for another dealer to do it, and take all of my service work elsewhere. That is just pure robbery, when you consider how long it actually takes to flash.

A dealer quote me 500 for install and program with my own purchased parts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ickabod

Reaction score
Just curious, moparamerica.com had the module and switch in stock? I have called 10+ stores and no one has them.
I ordered the parts from them on 4/23 and they said it could take 7-10 days to get the parts in. They haven't shipped yet..

EJP132

Reaction score
I just did the install of the brake controller in the 5th gen Ram. Aside from being overly cautious with the radio/plastics, it went fast - about 2 hours start to finish. I recommend using some plastic dash tools to get the radio started but it really pulls out fairly easily (harbor freight $7). Start on the lower right and work your fingers in and you're in business. The bracket was a pain to reach but straight-forward install, no special tools needed. When I punched in the switch in the dash, I could not find the plug anywhere. It was wrapped with the main run of wires towards the top of the dash. It was wrapped like the other module wires but it was hidden behind and hard to see. Quoted .5 hrs/ $45 for a flash at the dealer, so that will happen this week. All of the advice on here was great and saved me the dealer install cost. Thank you all!

smitty2019

Reaction score
just had my oem brake controller done today. they are bandits at this dealership (where I paid cash for the truck ) cost me 335 dollars for the kit and another 536 to have it installed . I was having some warranty work done at the same time. I think I will just be bringing it back to them just for warranty issues and finding another dealer to give my money too

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
just had my oem brake controller done today. they are bandits at this dealership (where I paid cash for the truck ) cost me 335 dollars for the kit and another 536 to have it installed . I was having some warranty work done at the same time. I think I will just be bringing it back to them just for warranty issues and finding another dealer to give my money too

I would have walked out.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Ripoff

grinch72

Reaction score
I would never step another foot in there again and I would MF them all over the net.

deanfx

Reaction score
I almost never found the parts for the controller. My dealer gave me a list of dealers around the country that had one in stock. I called most and no one would sell me one and ship it. Then a dealer in GA said yes and charged me full retail for the parts. $402 shipped. What a joke these dealers are.

Magredvet

Reaction score
Wow, what is wrong with dealers in Houston ?
talked to one Friday, and he says he will program it for $90, (1/2 hr labor!!!!) whilst he's doing the recalls and a service, but to bring it back Monday.
Take it in this morning, he doesn't have the parts for the recall, the flash is now $145, and I should really take it back to the selling dealer, who wanted $165.....
Beginning to wish I'd just gone aftermarket !

Last edited:

AndreiV

Reaction score
If sales code not added by stealer will brake controller not function all together? Or will it function but without displaying it's features in Uconnect and Cluster?

AndreiV

Reaction score
If sales code not added by stealer will brake controller not function all together? Or will it function but without displaying it's features in Uconnect and Cluster?
So I bought 7-pin tester of Amazon, $8 and a change and tested Brake Controller without SW flash. As far as voltages everything works on the 7-pin end, manual trailer lever works as well. Just missing cluster and uconnect functions without SW flash.
I called 4 local dealers and they all claim would change full hour for flash, $130-150. I dont have TT but was planning to rent one for experience. Since everything is working I am not so concerned to rash to dealer to flash it.

Attachments

• 0510191829.jpg
    0510191829.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 43

19pearl

Reaction score
can anybody verify that
82215278AE is the right part number for 2019 ram 1500 DT ??

acat

Reaction score
Added the sales code from a dealer today, no new menu pops up, dealer mentioned I need attached a trailer with e brake, is that true?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Take a look at this dealership instructions for brake controller installation. Very helpful.

Attachments

• Trailer Brake Controller Install.pdf
    260.9 KB · Views: 79
Reaction score
Added the sales code from a dealer today, no new manual pops up, dealer mentioned I need attached a trailer with e brake, is that true?

a trailer with e brake from what I know is a cable that is attached with chains. If trailer comes off hitch it pulls pin from electric box on trailer and applys brakes on trailer for safety. Nothing to do with truck other then a safe way to stop trailer.

acat

Reaction score
just want to know how to verify if they really added the sales code, I was wondering if there are some new menu options show up in the dashboard or uconnect

deanfx

Reaction score
just want to know how to verify if they really added the sales code, I was wondering if there are some new menu options show up in the dashboard or uconnect
I have new menu options available. Very noticiable going through the menus.

Reaction score
not sure onb that I got a install coming up on the 27th for OEM brake controller. My buddy works down there. I'll ask and get back to you. If no one had brought a answer ton you by then.

Users who are viewing this thread