5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Dual Climate?

klemo

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of great stuff from this website, I saw a post about adding dual climate that didn’t get much attention so I wanted to try to start another one up. I currently have a big horn with the 8.4” single a/c. Has anyone done and/or attempted this mod? I had it on my old Chevy and it’s come up in conversation with some passengers. I’m sure with all the people going 5”-> 8” and 8” -> 12” with only single just have those controls staring at them useless. I’d be interested in tackling this if it doesn’t break the bank.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FM45

Reaction score
More info in this thread... because you have a single zone --- it will stay a single zone but you will have Auto Hvac, controls will show up on the 8.4... you would just sync the two sides.... for a true dual zone you would have to do modifications behind the dash.. yes removing it, way too much to get into ...

-=FM45=-

klemo

Reaction score
I did read that thread before. Might be the route I’ll take, but wanted to see if anyone has actually tackled the true dual climate control mod. It seems we’ve attempted almost every upgrade here, but haven’t seen much on that.

Alptbird

Reaction score
just finished doing it last weekend, works great, accept for it is only a single zone automatic not a dual zone. In order to go dual zone, there is a lot of modification to the ac system gotta add mode doors and etc.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did read that thread before. Might be the route I’ll take, but wanted to see if anyone has actually tackled the true dual climate control mod. It seems we’ve attempted almost every upgrade here, but haven’t seen much on that.

I’ve built custom harnesses for three people who have converted to dual zone on their 2019+ HD Rams. Doing it for the DT Rams will be identical. The actual parts needed are not very expensive, but the dash does have to come out, and the AC system has to be evacuated and recharged. Even still, removing the dash is not as hard as it’s always made out to be. You need the HVAC box for dual zone, one blend door motor, four duct temp sensors that get retrofitted into your existing HVAC distribution box, a different sun sensor, and the cabin temp sensor. If you’re really thinking about doing it, let me know and I can set you up with the harness, and walk you through it.

klemo

Reaction score
Interesting. I don't think I plan on doing it anytime soon as I have some other projects that I've prioritized. I like knowing that the idea is there. I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in doing it, I found some parts based on what you said. Not sure if these are the right ones, but most are identified as "dual zone", so I feel they are pretty spot-on:

AC and Heater Case (HVAC box?) - 68396071ac
Temperature Sensor (x4) - 68396045AA
Motor - 68396057ac
Sun Sensor - 68230114ab
cabin Temp Sensor - 55111178AC

Some I found that you didn't mention. Would the harness be different? The Air Distributor might be part of what you consider the HVAC Box
Air Distributer - 68396073AA
Harness - 68396054AA

Seems like the whole thing would be around $400. What would the new Sun and Cabin Sensor do?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't think I plan on doing it anytime soon as I have some other projects that I've prioritized. I like knowing that the idea is there. I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in doing it, I found some parts based on what you said. Not sure if these are the right ones, but most are identified as "dual zone", so I feel they are pretty spot-on:

AC and Heater Case (HVAC box?) - 68396071ac
Temperature Sensor (x4) - 68396045AA
Motor - 68396057ac
Sun Sensor - 68230114ab
cabin Temp Sensor - 55111178AC

Some I found that you didn't mention. Would the harness be different? The Air Distributor might be part of what you consider the HVAC Box
Air Distributer - 68396073AA
Harness - 68396054AA

Seems like the whole thing would be around $400. What would the new Sun and Cabin Sensor do?
Parts needed:
(1) HVAC case- 68396071AC
(4) duct temp sensors- 68396055AA
(1) blend door actuator- 68396059AA
(1) sun sensor- 68230114AB
(1) cabin temp sensor- 55111178AC
(1) harness- 68396954AA
The harness is MUCH cheaper than it was last year (cheaper than I can build it for now), that’s why I built add-on harnesses for the guys that did this swap.
The cabin temp sensor, and duct temp sensors are needed for auto temp control to work properly. The new sun sensor is needed for ATC, also, because it has two extra circuits that takes into account sun load heat coming through the windshield.
There is no need to get the specific dual climate HVAC distribution box because it is structurally the same as the one you have, it just has the holes provided for the four duct temp sensors. You can drill those holes yourself into your existing distribution box.
So, you’re looking at about $280 (assuming you already have AlfaOBD), plus whatever you’ll get charged to evac/recover AC system, and about a gallon of coolant.

Georgf

Reaction score
Jimmy07: could you share picture of the harness, needed for swap? Can’t find it anywhere for number 68396954AA, I need it to instal auto climat.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jimmy07: could you share picture of the harness, needed for swap? Can’t find it anywhere for number 68396954AA, I need it to instal auto climat.
I’ll see if I can find a pic. Note- if you are ONLY installing auto climate (sun sensor and cabin temp sensor), there is absolutely no way to remove your current HVAC harness and install the new one without taking the dash out.

Georgf

Reaction score
I’ll see if I can find a pic. Note- if you are ONLY installing auto climate (sun sensor and cabin temp sensor), there is absolutely no way to remove your current HVAC harness and install the new one without taking the dash out.
Yes, i just add single zone auto climat, i only need harness to connect cabin sensor. I thought you are talking about that harness, with 4 wires.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, i just add single zone auto climat, i only need harness to connect cabin sensor. I thought you are talking about that harness, with 4 wires.
That HVAC harness part number listed above won’t help you for adding the cabin temp sensor, because the connector for it is actually part of the instrument panel harness. I can build you the add-on harness for that sensor. The sun sensor is a direct plug n play swap out for the one you currently have.

Georgf

Reaction score
That HVAC harness part number listed above won’t help you for adding the cabin temp sensor, because the connector for it is actually part of the instrument panel harness. I can build you the add-on harness for that sensor. The sun sensor is a direct plug n play swap out for the one you currently have.
Thanks, I'll try to connect with wires, as shown in the infotainment video. If it does not work, I will back to you.

Alptbird

Reaction score
1620044520536.png
Harness for connecting the Cabin sensor in a single set up application you will have to tap into 4 wires on the AC controller 2 in gret plug and 2 in the black.

Georgf

Reaction score
View attachment 92165
Harness for connecting the Cabin sensor in a single set up application you will have to tap into 4 wires on the AC controller 2 in gret plug and 2 in the black.
Yes, I know, but could you share wiring diagram with cabin sensor pin numbers and wire colors on the AC to be sure right connection?

Alptbird

Reaction score
1620329415410.png 1620329464728.png

pin 3 and 4 go to the grey plug matching wire color as labeled above and pin 1 an 2 go to the black plug. also matching wire color. 1 is light blue w/brown stripe, pin 2 it light blue w/orange stripe. 3 is pink with light green stripe and 4 is black they are easy to find once you peal back all the friction tape.

Georgf

Reaction score
View attachment 92550 View attachment 92551

pin 3 and 4 go to the grey plug matching wire color as labeled above and pin 1 an 2 go to the black plug. also matching wire color. 1 is light blue w/brown stripe, pin 2 it light blue w/orange stripe. 3 is pink with light green stripe and 4 is black they are easy to find once you peal back all the friction tape.
Thank you very much! Now I am sure that I will connect correctly!

Georgf

Reaction score
A question to those who installed auto climate control, why does the AC indicator not light up in AUTO mode when it is turned on? In the heat, it blows cold, it means the AC is working, but the indicator is off. only lights up when I turn AC on manually, and AUTO turns off

ericcloe

Reaction score
View attachment 92550 View attachment 92551

Where are these harnesses located at so I'm not searching for them

Users who are viewing this thread