5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Adaptive Cruise Control

vdistefano

Reaction score
Needs to be a way to write your VIN to the DASM. Not sure if the dealer can do it. The current VIN and VIN lock is pretty damning.
I have an odd question....I have a 19 DT...i have literally everything installed except the ACC it seems....could i just buy the control piece for the steering wheel and the perform some coding?

or if anyone has input?

vdistefano

Reaction score
After approximately 6-8 months, I have successfully installed and activated Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Sense, Forward Collision Warning, and Auto High Beams to my 2019 Lonestar. I got my truck back from the dealer this afternoon. They did a calibration procedure on my cruise control module which FINALLY allowed everything to activate. Persistence on this project was certainly the key to success.

I will briefly recap what's required to do this and approximate cost for those that will ask:

You have to replace the following:
Windshield - $400 (An OEM mopar one will cost more than double this)
DASM - $1,100 (this part has to be new, never installed on a vehicle)
Center Stack 12" or 8.4" (one with a lane sense button. As far as i know you cannot simply add the button. There also does not appear to be a softkey you could enable with alphaobd)
HCU - $200
ABS Module - $130
Steering Wheel Switch - $50
Dealer visit to calibrate after everything is installed - $100-$500 (depends on how your dealer handles this. For me it was a half hour labor charge)
Alpha OBD and Hardware - $100 (PC version recommended)

I am considering making a write-up for the procedure with all part numbers. There is inevitably stuff I do not remember when it comes to everything I enabled with alpha obd, but if several people are interested in one i will write one.

Big thanks to @Jimmy07 , his help certainly made this idea a reality
Hello,

I want to do the same thing to mine. It appears i have literally everything except the ACC itself. my question would be, can i just buy the switch for the steering wheel then maybe code the truck? curious for your thoughts.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to do the same thing to mine. It appears i have literally everything except the ACC itself. my question would be, can i just buy the switch for the steering wheel then maybe code the truck? curious for your thoughts.
Do you have FCW? Then yes, you can try that. You may need the ABS/HCU, but some have been successful just adding the switch.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Hello,

You can add it. Based on others similar to your situation you'll have to install a new HCU and ABS Module and add the button. I think the only ones that wouldn't have to add those modules are TRX trucks. Here's the link to the installation document and thread: How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

Rwbebout

Reaction score
After approximately 6-8 months, I have successfully installed and activated Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Sense, Forward Collision Warning, and Auto High Beams to my 2019 Lonestar. I got my truck back from the dealer this afternoon. They did a calibration procedure on my cruise control module which FINALLY allowed everything to activate. Persistence on this project was certainly the key to success.

I will briefly recap what's required to do this and approximate cost for those that will ask:

You have to replace the following:
Windshield - $400 (An OEM mopar one will cost more than double this)
DASM - $1,100 (this part has to be new, never installed on a vehicle)
Center Stack 12" or 8.4" (one with a lane sense button. As far as i know you cannot simply add the button. There also does not appear to be a softkey you could enable with alphaobd)
HCU - $200
ABS Module - $130
Steering Wheel Switch - $50
Dealer visit to calibrate after everything is installed - $100-$500 (depends on how your dealer handles this. For me it was a half hour labor charge)
Alpha OBD and Hardware - $100 (PC version recommended)

I am considering making a write-up for the procedure with all part numbers. There is inevitably stuff I do not remember when it comes to everything I enabled with alpha obd, but if several people are interested in one i will write one.

Big thanks to @Jimmy07 , his help certainly made this idea a reality
I for one am very interested. Please do a right up. I have a 2020 limited.

ch53e mech

US Marine. Very grateful to everyone for the help!
Reaction score
DASM: Driver Assistance System Module - This is mounted behind the rear view mirror. You don't have it unless your truck is equipped with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). It is a radar and camera unit combined in one. It controls ACC, regular cruise control, lane sense, and auto hi beams.
HCU: Hydraulic Control Unit - you have a HCU but it's not the one you need for ACC. It is the Anti-Lock Brake pump.
ABS: Anti-Lock Brake System - you have this too but it's not the correct module for ACC. It is mounted to the HCU and controls it. It also controls the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and other stability functions.
It is possible to have DASM without having adaptive cruise. Lane assist and collision avoidance with emergency stop also means you have it.

ch53e mech

Reaction score
2022 Ram DT Big Horn. I have added auto dimming high beams with just changing 3 settings in BCM, no additional parts needed. I will be adding adaptive cruise control, Rain sense wipers, passive entry, blindspot monitoring and 360 surround view cameras. I will put up YouTube videos of the alfaobd process if there is enough interest. I am no Guru at it, but I am great at reading through the pages on here and translating it to the actions required. Jimmy07 takes the crown and deserves the credit for all most all of what I'm about to do so thank you very much jimmy. You are the man.

ch53e mech

Reaction score
Also a shout out to tbd0021, also a major source of information. I really want to thank everyone though. There are so many people on here that have made me happy to have bought my first Ram. Been a ford guy my whole life until now. This seems like a great community to be a part of.

St-na

Reaction score
2022 Ram DT Big Horn. I have added auto dimming high beams with just changing 3 settings in BCM, no additional parts needed. I will be adding adaptive cruise control, Rain sense wipers, passive entry, blindspot monitoring and 360 surround view cameras. I will put up YouTube videos of the alfaobd process if there is enough interest. I am no Guru at it, but I am great at reading through the pages on here and translating it to the actions required. Jimmy07 takes the crown and deserves the credit for all most all of what I'm about to do so thank you very much jimmy. You are the man.
Jimmy07 the Great!

wsolarczyk

Reaction score
Guys,

Anyone with 2022 laramie that added ACC?
I have ACC working as it should but my FCW does stay lit as OFF but i can turn it off and back on in the radio settings, and in the middle of the cluster it will say that its turned ON. I did testdrive the truck and i have attempted to go too fast etc, but it does not react to anyone cutting in front, or even braking in front of me like it did before the HCU and ABS replacement.
There is ZERO codes in the truck. I had a guy with WiTech scan the truck for issues as well and ZERO showed. It makes me think it has to be a feature that needs to be changed somewhere now.
Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, i have followed these guides to enable ACC (see attached files)

Attachments

• IMG_7957.jpeg
    IMG_7957.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7958.jpeg
    IMG_7958.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 20
  • with DASM.pdf
    887.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ACC Guide Full.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 55

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys,

Anyone with 2022 laramie that added ACC?
I have ACC working as it should but my FCW does stay lit as OFF but i can turn it off and back on in the radio settings, and in the middle of the cluster it will say that its turned ON. I did testdrive the truck and i have attempted to go too fast etc, but it does not react to anyone cutting in front, or even braking in front of me like it did before the HCU and ABS replacement.
There is ZERO codes in the truck. I had a guy with WiTech scan the truck for issues as well and ZERO showed. It makes me think it has to be a feature that needs to be changed somewhere now.
Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, i have followed these guides to enable ACC (see attached files)
I installed it in my 22 Laramie I haven’t had any problems whatsoever with my FCW or ACC. If you followed the procedure and have no codes showing then you may have to make sure your DASM is clean and or no obstructions blocking the DASM. If that doesn’t work it may need to be recalibrated as the callibration may be messed up. Have you had your window recently replaced?

wsolarczyk

Reaction score
I installed it in my 22 Laramie I haven’t had any problems whatsoever with my FCW or ACC. If you followed the procedure and have no codes showing then you may have to make sure your DASM is clean and or no obstructions blocking the DASM. If that doesn’t work it may need to be recalibrated as the callibration may be messed up. Have you had your window recently replaced?
My truck came in with DASM and FCW and it worked flawlessly. I have replaced the UC display to 12" and activated the LDW. All continued to work flawlessly including now FCW and LDW. Last night I have replaced the HCU and ABS module (added the speed control buttons into the wheel as well) and now I have LDW and ACC work flawlessly, but my FCW says its OFF in the cluster, but when I turn it off and back on in the radio, the cluster says it is on, but the light stays OFF and it does not work (tested it multiple times on HIGH, MEDIUM and even LOW sensitivity, with only warning and with warning and braking). It seams that one of the features might need to be on that is off (enable / disable) or vice versa, something needs to be off that is still on.
And NO, no glass replaced! DASM wasn't even touched!
I just do one mod at a time (except for 12" and LDW as those kind of came together)

Do you mind sharing a BCM config dump from AlfaOBD, or maybe glance at mine and compare to yours. I will attach it in a moment, just need to get the laptop to charge a little before I can copy the file.

Attachments

• 2022Laramie-BCM.pdf
    53.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck came in with DASM and FCW and it worked flawlessly. I have replaced the UC display to 12" and activated the LDW. All continued to work flawlessly including now FCW and LDW. Last night I have replaced the HCU and ABS module (added the speed control buttons into the wheel as well) and now I have LDW and ACC work flawlessly, but my FCW says its OFF in the cluster, but when I turn it off and back on in the radio, the cluster says it is on, but the light stays OFF and it does not work (tested it multiple times on HIGH, MEDIUM and even LOW sensitivity, with only warning and with warning and braking). It seams that one of the features might need to be on that is off (enable / disable) or vice versa, something needs to be off that is still on.
I just do one mod at a time (except for 12" and LDW as those kind of came together)

Do you mind sharing a BCM config dump from AlfaOBD, or maybe glance at mine and compare to yours. I will attach it in a moment, just need to get the laptop to charge a little before I can copy the file.
DASM doesn’t have to be touched to mess up everything runs off of electronics. If you went through the procedure and everything is working fine and your FCW will turn on then it’s working. Personally I’d give it a few days because it probably is working if your not getting error codes. How exactly have you tested this? Because I have only had my WARNING come up one time in the 6 months I’ve had it and I’m talking about you have to have balls of steel not to touch your brake peddle so it will light up especially how close the vehicle in front is… ie… don’t test it with other vehicles around that is not safe set up some cones or something if you REALY don’t think it’s working. But trust me it would tell you if it wasn’t working.

wsolarczyk

Reaction score
DASM doesn’t have to be touched to mess up everything runs off of electronics. If you went through the procedure and everything is working fine and your FCW will turn on then it’s working. Personally I’d give it a few days because it probably is working if your not getting error codes. How exactly have you tested this? Because I have only had my WARNING come up one time in the 6 months I’ve had it and I’m talking about you have to have balls of steel not to touch your brake peddle so it will light up especially how close the vehicle in front is… ie… don’t test it with other vehicles around that is not safe set up some cones or something if you REALY don’t think it’s working. But trust me it would tell you if it wasn’t working.
its simple, you speed up and act like you are about to hit a cone, or some obstacle, but it has to be tall enough for the truck to see. Also if you change it to high sensitivity, it will literally warn you when a car in from of you starts to slow down to make a RH turn, and if you still keep your foot on the accelerator it will even slow you down. Mine was doing that all the time when set to high. Today it does not do nothing.
I keep on asking for the BCM dump to compare the options enabled / disabled and hope I find it, otherwise I will restore the OEM backup and start all over again. If my DASM was not calibrated, the LDW and ACC would not work but both work great. That just does not make any sense.

St-na

Reaction score

Seems to be Ok, check one more time, if You have any faults. Otherwise disconnect the battery for 15 min.
How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500 #213

Last edited:

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
its simple, you speed up and act like you are about to hit a cone, or some obstacle, but it has to be tall enough for the truck to see. Also if you change it to high sensitivity, it will literally warn you when a car in from of you starts to slow down to make a RH turn, and if you still keep your foot on the accelerator it will even slow you down. Mine was doing that all the time when set to high. Today it does not do nothing.
I keep on asking for the BCM dump to compare the options enabled / disabled and hope I find it, otherwise I will restore the OEM backup and start all over again. If my DASM was not calibrated, the LDW and ACC would not work but both work great. That just does not make any sense.
You obviously don’t want help if you just going to be rude about people giving you options to help fix YOUR problem. Like I said and it’ll be my last response give it a couple of days or unplug the battery for a while and plug it back up. When we make changes like this to our trucks weird things happen you should be okay just take a deep breath and if that doesn’t help take care of the problem then if you made a backup start over. Sometimes it takes a few ignition cycles to get back normal. I had the same problem when I turned on PEB and after a day or two it stopped doing exactly what yours is doing right now.

Users who are viewing this thread